Project "Down under" 240Z - (RB25det)

Robbie J

Club Member
Hopefully, the DVLA will be working again when you get this on the road, I've been waiting 2 months to reg on an imported van...

Ship watching is fun, don't lose the piece of paper so you can get out the port... found it on the footwell in the end but looked like a prat

bigh

Club Member
Hopefully, the DVLA will be working again when you get this on the road, I've been waiting 2 months to reg on an imported van...

Ship watching is fun, don't lose the piece of paper so you can get out the port... found it on the footwell in the end but looked like a prat

Thanks, I doubt it will be on the road this year, so the DVLA backlog isn't a worry. The company we used for shipping is also going to deliver the vehicle directly to us, just wish they would hurry up!

Robbie J

Club Member
Thanks, I doubt it will be on the road this year, so the DVLA backlog isn't a worry. The company we used for shipping is also going to deliver the vehicle directly to us, just wish they would hurry up!
the wonderful DVLA sent the forms back saying I owe them a extra £5 today.. when I sent them it had not gone up....

Turn & Burn

Club Member
You might want to avoid the patch approach - to quote one of the previous replies on this topic:

There's a roof skin for sale on the forum now: https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/roof-cut.26923/#post-309842 you might want to investigate.
If u can find someone with an English wheel its doable. I did a full roof on mine but have since seen a car done with a patch produced on a wheel and I reckon the job is way way easier than chopping the roof off and much less destructive.

bigh

Club Member
If u can find someone with an English wheel its doable. I did a full roof on mine but have since seen a car done with a patch produced on a wheel and I reckon the job is way way easier than chopping the roof off and much less destructive.

Many thanks, I look into this method.

bigh

Club Member
Spent sometime in getting ready to pull the engine out on the weekend, but unfortunately the engine hoist we had hoped to use, wasn't available so we removed the majority of the ancillaries, oil pump, exhaust manifold/turbo (managed to shear 4 studs sheared off in the process :banghead: ) got the sump off, and made a list gaskets that would be required to put everything back at a later date.

Removed the black Rota wheels, that came with the car and put on the Wats, just because :smoke:

5E08E3BE-F9F8-4506-9F8B-423A3E8BDF28.jpeg

AA9A5ED7-D107-4B7E-AD7B-D7BCC579BF67.jpeg

bigh

Club Member
So set about cutting out small sections of the outer sill on the drivers side to see what lies beneath, the couple of crude patch welds.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg 6.jpeg

Around the corner in the wheel well....another bit of bodging

088DF38A-65F7-443D-B404-5A01FD16AB4D_1_105_c.jpeg

Down at the front end of the sill, behind the wing...

A.jpeg B.jpeg C.jpeg

Ok I know that there will be more rust in these areas that I cannot see at the moment, but it isn't any worse than I feared.

All of the floors are solid, albeit a little distorted in places from inconsiderate jacking of the vehicle, but nothing that cant be straightened a bit.

More photos to follow of the underside, and a closer inspection the n/s sill as well.

bigh

Club Member
I thought that one of the items on the engine that we would need to change was engines sump. I had been looking a CRX unit or getting one made by Pat via Hybrid Z site. But on closer inspection, of the the one removed the other day, I think that it is a 200ZR sump.

I found this thread from a few years ago, and after comparing photos and reading the description, of the different shaped ends, I am pretty sure my sump is from a 200ZR.
https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/rb25-sleeper-project.21746/page-2

So thats a bit more £££ for the body work fund!

93F576C4-1F4F-416E-890C-4625E220E685.jpeg 200zr1.jpeg 200zr2.jpeg 200zr3.jpeg

richiep

Club Member
I’m with Rob on this. Go over the whole shell and dig deep before getting carried away on the grand plan. Those doglegs and sills are nasty and such tendencies for bodging bode ill. The rear valance and lower rear corners scream filler and bodging too.