Super Samuri on eBay

I think rather than look for long lost cousins of the extended "Datsun" family, the focus should be on Zed siblings like the Z32,Z33, etc etc and how to get them on here.

Besides , judging by the posts over the last decade, I suspect there are less than half a dozen of forum members who own another 'Datsun' that is not a Zed.

I suspect we will need to update our servers and forum platform to accommodate this volume of data:p:D

maybe we have a whole new forum dedicated to them

it’s be nice to see some of the ‘other’ cars/details/history on here.

we could become the ‘D’ club!

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
I wonder if I was new to Z ownership and bought a Samuri whether I would feel happy here with my car continually being spoken of as a samuri
It was funny when it first started but after a couple of years it has got IMHO a bit boring
What ever happen to Its nice to be nice

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I wonder if I was new to Z ownership and bought a Samuri whether I would feel happy here with my car continually being spoken of as a samuri
It was funny when it first started but after a couple of years it has got IMHO a bit boring

I'm sorry but where Samuri Conversions (et al) are concerned, "What ye sow, so shall ye reap..."

The whole misspelling 'we did it on purpose'/ 'it was the signwriters fault'/'there was another company called samuri' etc etc narrative is to blame for any Samuri/samuri confusion or purposeful mickey-taking. Either they should have spelled it correctly the first time, or just chosen another name.

The whole "It's on the list"/"It's got a Letter From Spike" identity thing is another chicken that's come home to roost, and - let's face it - it STILL goes on, and even quite recently there have been people turning up on the scene with "legendary" cars they were hyping up before sale, apparently "remembered by Spike" and embellished with all sorts of nonsense chat, and talked-up by complete and utter charlatans. It's shameful.

So while I have respect for some aspects of the story, some of the cars and some of the people involved in period, when things were more made-up-as-they-went-along and happy go lucky (yes, "real"...) it's all been allowed to run away with itself and in latter years has turned into a farce where a remote blessing from on high will determine whether a particular car is "real" or not, apparently with chocolate sauce, two Flakes and hundreds-and-thousands on top if you know the right person...

I have no sympathy. They made this.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm sorry but where Samuri Conversions (et al) are concerned, "What ye sow, so shall ye reap..."

Either they should have spelled it correctly the first time, or just chosen another name.

I have no sympathy. They made this.

The undeniable fact is that Samuri inspired many to Z ownership and classic-car racing which never hurt the Z scene within the UK.

The whole misspelling 'we did it on purpose'/ 'it was the signwriters fault'/'there was another company called samuri' etc etc narrative is to blame for any Samuri/samuri confusion or purposeful mickey-taking. Either they should have spelled it correctly the first time, or just chosen another name.

There is no Samuri/samuri/Samouraï confusion.

It is and always was Samuri....and why not ? Why not have simply chosen the word phonetically and kept is simple and as short as possible.....perhaps indeed through ignorance but who cares why ? It IS Samuri....!

Last edited by a moderator:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Lets stop there please, and stick to the discussion of the car that's for sale.

Apologies to you Steve. I didn't think I wasn't being nice to anyone on here.

AD240Z

Club Member
The asking price has increased by £4.5k.

The first advert - ' IT NOW STARTS AND DRIVES BUT BRAKES WILL NEED ATTENTION . SOME WELDING WILL BE REQUIRED BUT THIS CAN BE ARRANGED TO BE DONE IF REQUIRED AS ITS NOT A HUGE AMOUNT TO BE DONE .'

Second advert - 'WILL COME WITH 12 MONTHS MOT AT AVERTISED PRICE WE NOW HAVE A NEW OLD STOCK FRONT BUMPER AND THE BRAKE CALIPERS HAVE BEED REBUILT AND THE ORIGINAL WHEEL CENTRE CARS ARE PRESENT'

There must have been more welding than anticipated to up the price by £4.5 k..............................

AD240Z

Club Member
IMG_2811.jpg

Mystery solved however - as to why the numbers of this species may be unclear

Languages of India and abroad

Marathi-English dictionary

SUMARI

Source: DDSA: The Molesworth Marathi and English Dictionary
sumārī (सुमारी).—a (sumāra) Numeral, numerable; that stands under that species of quantity called number; that is to be determined as to its amount, not by measurement, but by counting. 2 as s f This word, as a noun, is less approved and less common than its parent sumāra; but by those who use it in the senses of that word, it will be used in all the senses and applications there detailed, excepting in the third sense and in the final or closing application. 3 Used in comp. with certain words of the revenue-department in the sense of Numbering or number, registering or register; as khānēsumārī, jhāḍasumārī, gāṃvasumārī, śētasumārī, āmbēsumārī. See khānēsumārī.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

How about 'Sumari' then?

Legend has it* that their original signwriter was nicknamed 'Dizz'. I think he got the nickname because his first name was difficult to pronounce, as it was Polish. His family name was 'Leksic'.

*This may not be completely true.