ZCARDEPOT (usa) Shipping and import duties

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
A couple of weeks ago I ordered items from zcardepot. The items cost $98, the shipping was $70 (items weighed well under a pound). I assumed the pricey $70 included import duty (vat). There is no clarity on the zcardepot website how they deal with exports. See the previous zclub thread below

https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/hello-from-zcardepot-com.21793/

The parcel was delivered to me in a week by Fedex. Fedex have now just invoiced me for VAT (£15) and an "Advancement Fee" (£12).

Is this how it works with zcardepot/Fedex ??? I assume i now have to pay up even more ?

I am new to this USA import game. A few days ago I had to order another part from zcardepot and discovered that they sold the part via ebay.uk. The postage was notably cheaper though the quoted delivery time was longer than the direct method.

I have found Rockauto much cheaper and clearer but unfortunately they don't sell some parts for Datsuns. Moan over; lesson learned; be wary of the zcardepot process

peter_s

Club Member
Yes, as an importer you are responsible for the VAT and duties. The couriers are also responsible, if they don't charge you they will get a fine.

zcardepot are only exporting and have no say in this. So always calculate VAT and duties.

richiep

Club Member
It’s not the Z Car Depot process - it’s simply the sheer expense of purchasing parts from the USA. It’s extremely common to end up paying more on shipping than the price of the items no matter who you buy from. Over the last several years, shipping rates from the US to the rest of the world have risen sharply, whether that be through USPS or any of the major couriers like FedEx, UPS, etc. This actually makes some parts not worth it on an individual basis, unless you are buying as part of a sizeable order. This is one of the reasons that I stock up on small parts at my brother-in-law’s house in Massachusetts- and then bring them home in our luggage when we visit each summer (not happening this year though).

Beyond that, you will most often get charged VAT and a “admission” or “handling” fee on whatever you order when it arrives in the U.K. as U.K. customs will assess it for duty on the basis of the combined price of the items AND shipping. I’ve just received an invoice from ParcelForce for a dash top vent panel that I bought from Japan; 6 quid duty and 12 quid fee. It’s just the way it is.

So, overall, I don’t think it’s fair to blame ZCarDepot. It’s a combination of the price gouging within the US shipping market and the knock-on that has to U.K. customs. With our cars, it’s simply something that you’ve got to suck up if you really want certain parts - they are not available in the U.K. or Europe, meaning US or Japan are the only options with the attendant costs.

peter_s

Club Member
It’s not the Z Car Depot process - it’s simply the sheer expense of purchasing parts from the USA. It’s extremely common to end up paying more on shipping than the price of the items no matter who you buy from. Over the last several years, shipping rates from the US to the rest of the world have risen sharply, whether that be through USPS or any of the major couriers like FedEx, UPS, etc. This actually makes some parts not worth it on an individual basis, unless you are buying as part of a sizeable order. This is one of the reasons that I stock up on small parts at my brother-in-law’s house in Massachusetts- and then bring them home in our luggage when we visit each summer (not happening this year though).

Beyond that, you will most often get charged VAT and a “admission” or “handling” fee on whatever you order when it arrives in the U.K. as U.K. customs will assess it for duty on the basis of the combined price of the items AND shipping. I’ve just received an invoice from ParcelForce for a dash top vent panel that I bought from Japan; 6 quid duty and 12 quid fee. It’s just the way it is.

So, overall, I don’t think it’s fair to blame ZCarDepot. It’s a combination of the price gouging within the US shipping market and the knock-on that has to U.K. customs. With our cars, it’s simply something that you’ve got to suck up if you really want certain parts - they are not available in the U.K. or Europe, meaning US or Japan are the only options with the attendant costs.
Exactly my experience.

There are consolidation services for cheaper shipping if you have time...

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
ZCarDepot using Fedex is actually a bonus! You get the item first, then they ask you to pay the charge. Usually it sits in customs for a week or two then they send you a letter explaining how to pay the customs charge and only then will they release it on to you - much slower than the Fedex version. Worth noting that you always get charged a handling / advancement fee whoever does it and that customs is calculated on the combined cost of the goods AND the shipping.

ZCarDepot do seem to have some issues with the very small / light items on postage costs though - I recently had to query a $70 shipping charge for a few bolts & plastic clips which they reduced to $30 when challenged. It's almost like they have the minimum postage-per-item set too high for certain items.

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks guys for the clarification. Will pay up promptly as it's the required thing to do. I'm not really having a go at zcardepot. Just a little grumble that their website doesn't have a simple statement (for newbies) that additional export duties may apply.

I also need new manifold studs. The OEM equivalent ones are 43mm (13mm inner; 10mm ; 20mm outer). The final cost from usa would be ridiculous. Can't source the equivalent spec in the UK but ebay Renault studs are 42mm (11mm inner; 9mm; 22mm outer). You can fill your boots with these for under a tenner. Not the "right" studs but will give these a go as a cost cutting measure. An extra 2mm inner would cost $£$£$£ !

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
ZCarDepot using Fedex is actually a bonus! You get the item first, then they ask you to pay the charge. Usually it sits in customs for a week or two then they send you a letter explaining how to pay the customs charge and only then will they release it on to you - much slower than the Fedex version. Worth noting that you always get charged a handling / advancement fee whoever does it and that customs is calculated on the combined cost of the goods AND the shipping.

ZCarDepot do seem to have some issues with the very small / light items on postage costs though - I recently had to query a $70 shipping charge for a few bolts & plastic clips which they reduced to $30 when challenged. It's almost like they have the minimum postage-per-item set too high for certain items.
You don't pay a handling fee if you prepay the duty at rockauto.

richiep

Club Member
On the point Matt makes about small item prices, I'd agree, although it seems quite a few US sellers are the same on eBay. The default international prices they quote are often pretty silly; if you take them to task, they can do better. Still, often there's a limit to what they can do. My sister-in-law in the US has a shipping guy she uses for a small business she runs and occasionally sends stuff over to the family here. Apparently, the minimum fee for shipping ANYTHING to the UK is $30.

I've related the story before, but last year we had to ship my wife's asthma inhaler over to us in the US after she forgot to pack it. She did a price comparison on getting it express posted from the UK to US and vice-versa. UK-US was £10. US to UK was £70!!!

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
Yes, I have noticed that also. Buying the same component from Z Car Depot, was considerably cheaper and no issues with having already paid the import via eBay checkout and PayPal. Actually quite a painless solution.

I also saw Z Car Depot shipping extreme, so happy for them to pay eBay fees on the transaction instead.