Just bought a 280Z and its my first Datsun.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Just an update on the 280Z. Because I have plenty of spare time ( retired ) I am pressing on and it's ready for paint already but the main point is that it had a lot of storage damage to the roof. I was concerned it would be unfixable but a Local Dent repair man has just spent 6 hours on it and it is now perfect. I am blown away as he didn't damage the paint and it doesn't need any filler> That's what I call a result.

I once hit the wing of my S2000 in the member’s car park from the 18th Tee. Right on the swage line! Honda quoted £1200.

The dent less guy took it out so well even I couldn’t see it!!! It’s such an art!!! £60 and an hour! It’s black magic or art!!!

Last edited:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I have been a Ford man all my life and the MK1 Lotus Cortina ( pre airflow ) under the cover is something special to me. It is in original. unwelded condition. I am so old it takes me back to my youth !!.

Wow, I'd love to see some pics - PM me if you prefer. They are a lot less complex than a 280Z.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
There seem to be some very sharp eyed folk on here so you will notice the dash was incomplete but is now fully working and there are two signatures on the glove box by Sirs - John Whitmore and Jack Sears. And finally the engine is fuel injected using the latest Jenvey historic throttle bodies which mimic 45DCOE Webers. They work brilliantly and I mention that because if the Datsun doesn't run as well as I want I will probably fit those with an MBE mappable ECU.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Lovely. Is it an A Frame? Electronic ignition I hope because of the dizzy location.

Nice - weren't they lovely and simple .

I'm old enough (68) to have seen Whitmore and Sears racing in their prime.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
Lovely. Is it an A Frame? Electronic ignition I hope because of the dizzy location.

Nice - weren't they lovely and simple .

I'm old enough (68) to have seen Whitmore and Sears racing in their prime.

They were both at the 50th anniversary at Brands Hatch in 2013 where they signed the dashboard but are sadly no longer with us. Nope, no distributor. It is on wasted spark coil pack with fully mapped ECU. The Lotus purist are not impressed but these engine always ran badly but this thing starts on the button and is so nice to drive. That is why I would happily fit the system to the Datsun. It is an A frame car with the brackets still on the underside but it has been converted to leaf springs for reliability.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Perfect! What a great looking car. My dad has a 1500 new in 1963, 135 YKR. Green with a white flash ... can’t recall whether it was two or four-door though.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
There was a Grand Tour piece on this car and it was amazing how many were sold and how everyone’s dad had one (including mine!)!!!

Found it ....

Bazzateer

Club Member
First car I remember was my Dad's Mk1 1500 super estate, 1965 I think. Dark grreen. He then had a couple of Mk3 estates before moving onto Colts.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
Back to the 280z. I have now stripped off the rear lights and am removing the rear hatch seal. What a mess on, not only is it glued on but it is falling to pieces as I handle it so lots of scraping and scotchbriteing to get to plain paint. It is worth it as I hope you can see from the photo .. zero rust or damage. I have now written to the previous owner as shown on the American title to try and find out how it is so rust free.Datsun 42.JPG

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
Nearly there. Should be in colour next week. I had forgotten just how many hours of sanding go into trying to get a nice finish

Attachments

• Datsun 81.JPG
    Datsun 81.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Datsun 79.JPG
    Datsun 79.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Datsun 78.JPG
    Datsun 78.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 48

status

Well-Known Forum User
Just helping my mate with his mk11 lotus,he just got it up and running how he wanted then it blew a core plug which in turn cracked the block,we got a block down in Bristol on Monday then shot up to Leicester to get a crank or was it the other way round,anyway I think it blew because he put a higher pressure rad cap on,he also had power steering put on by a guy up in Bolton back in February ,just having the clock rebuilt by a guy in southend ,The Gaz lowered springs are now on and it sits nice,I’m sure they were higher at the front back in the day ?I’ll be down the garage in an hour helping out,just proves that there are places still to get things done no matter Wot you need doing

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
I just love fresh, sparkly paint. Just finished this afternoon. Three.jpg TWO.jpg 'THE' roof.jpg Not clear on these pics but it is Datsun 301 mix but seems slightly lighter ( or brighter ) than the original. Especially pleased with the roof as it was quite heavy dented but the 'Paintless dent repair man' worked wonders and it didn't need any filler to get it perfect. Other panels ( doors, bonnet,hatch etc )to be done tomorrow.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Are the painters putting some of the bits back on the shell or are you? I ask because I put some parts back on my old Mustang (hood, doors etc) and it was a bit of a nightmare ... (got there in the end though).

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
I am planning to do it all as I stripped it in the first place. Having said that the painter has refitted the bonnet to prevent any storage damage. I am still enjoying the novelty value of working on the Datsun . I am just so impressed with how much easier the Datsun is to work on than the old Fords I am used to. They are more complex than a Ford of the same era but just so well thought out. I suppose I am spoilt a bit with this car because every nut and bolt comes straight out as nothing is rusty.

Last edited: