Just bought a 280Z and its my first Datsun.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
Front wing.jpg Even though I am very long in the tooth I couldn't resist owning a Datsun after a life time of owning old Fords. I bought this 3 weeks ago from Mathewsons ( Bangers and Cash ) and whilst it has some light storage damage to some of the panels I can't get my head round the fact that it is rust free ( see the photos ). Every one of these I see has some rust but not this one. So now it is a complete strip down, paint and rebuild so I Datsun - 12.JPG Datsun - 1.JPG will not doubt be asking about supplies of replacement parts. What I can say is that this thing is so much nicer built than a Ford of the same era.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
Well now you know !. I think I was the only bidder ( all by phone ) and was really chuffed with the deal. I've been down to Mathewsons a few times looking for a 240/280Z and then this turned up. I have to say that Mathewsons are a great outfit to deal with and can recommend them. Just honest and straight forward folk. When I went to pick the car up they put me in contact with the seller which really sealed the deal.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
very nice project hope you keeping the colour . whats your plans for it ? all the best from a fellow 280z owner .Chris
Chris. Yes, keeping it the same colour because the inside doesn't need painting but the outside needs painting as it has storage damage here and there. As for the rest its a nut and bolt rebuild to get everything working as it should, possibly some better wheels and then enjoy it.

ZedzDead

Club Member
Thanks for the recommendation. I was going for orange or similar but looking at you car and others that colour I am sure it will be fine.
Ha ha .......Brown metallic certainly divides opinion ! Orange looks great but I've already got an orange car. All painted now just got to get on with putting it back together.

Attachments

• dat 1.jpg
    dat 1.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 57

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
View attachment 39666 Even though I am very long in the tooth I couldn't resist owning a Datsun after a life time of owning old Fords. I bought this 3 weeks ago from Mathewsons ( Bangers and Cash ) and whilst it has some light storage damage to some of the panels I can't get my head round the fact that it is rust free ( see the photos ). Every one of these I see has some rust but not this one. So now it is a complete strip down, paint and rebuild so I View attachment 39664 View attachment 39665 will not doubt be asking about supplies of replacement parts. What I can say is that this thing is so much nicer built than a Ford of the same era.

Looking at the picture I do think that those Datsun wheels suit the car. So many people fit modern wheels.

Secondly that Cortina under the cover - what is it and what condition is it in? I like old MK1 race/rally cars - they bring back so many memories.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Aren’t they 280zx wheels?

Such a solid looking project! [emoji106][emoji106]

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Excellent - I wasn’t too sure. They do suit the S30 cars.

And you’re wrong Datsfun, this one is not a Nissan, it’s a Neeeesaaan!

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
Looking at the picture I do think that those Datsun wheels suit the car. So many people fit modern wheels.

Secondly that Cortina under the cover - what is it and what condition is it in? I like old MK1 race/rally cars - they bring back so many memories.

I don't know anything about the wheels but thanks for the comment. I was going to fit new wheels but you are making me think they might be OK with a proper refurb and correct tyres. Well spotted about the covered up car. As I said in my post, I have been a Ford man all my life and the MK1 Lotus Cortina ( pre airflow ) under the cover is something special to me. It is in original. unwelded condition. I am so old it takes me back to my youth !!.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
Just an update on the 280Z. Because I have plenty of spare time ( retired ) I am pressing on and it's ready for paint already but the main point is that it had a lot of storage damage to the roof. I was concerned it would be unfixable but a Local Dent repair man has just spent 6 hours on it and it is now perfect. I am blown away as he didn't damage the paint and it doesn't need any filler> That's what I call a result.