Skiddell/Pmac Airbox

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
if somebody has one to hand you could always send it to somewhere like honeybourne mouldings who already do a lot of fibreglass panels for datsuns and they can make a negative mould for production from the original.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
if somebody has one to hand you could always send it to somewhere like honeybourne mouldings who already do a lot of fibreglass panels for datsuns and they can make a negative mould for production from the original.
someone (we don't know who, yet) owns the IP in the airbox so we can't just go copying it.
with a little patience, we should get to be able to use the originals.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
FRP Automotive have been making them for several years and still are - I have 3x on order atm, £210 each and that's before anyone on the committee negociates a club discount - say 10% !

Attachments

• FRP 001.jpg
    FRP 001.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 72
  • FRP 002.jpg
    FRP 002.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 70
  • FRP 003.jpg
    FRP 003.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 69
  • FRP 004.jpg
    FRP 004.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 68
  • FRP 005.jpg
    FRP 005.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 68

richiep

Club Member
Yep, definitely a duplicate of the Skiddell version. FRP really need to do the Internet better (beyond FB) as they offer so much stuff people barely know about.

Yep, definitely a duplicate of the Skiddell version. FRP really need to do the Internet better (beyond FB) as they offer so much stuff people barely know about.

Given the price of the above, we can do much better, I'd imagine cost of 5 or more, from mouldings would be less than £100.

FRP list full front spoilers/bumpers for £125, so you can imagine thats 2-3 times the amount of material, so thinking about it, it could come in at £70 or so.

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Given the price of the above, we can do much better, I'd imagine cost of 5 or more, from mouldings would be less than £100.

FRP list full front spoilers/bumpers for £125, so you can imagine thats 2-3 times the amount of material, so thinking about it, it could come in at £70 or so.

I guess they are a commercial venture and have a profit margin to maintain + as you well know there is also value based pricing in the equation. But if uncle Franky was making them, maybe they would be £2.54 + shipping! [emoji12][emoji1787]

I guess they are a commercial venture and have a profit margin to maintain + as you well know there is also value based pricing in the equation. But if uncle Franky was making them, maybe they would be £2.54 + shipping! [emoji12][emoji1787]

Maybe we could get FRP to make 'ours'!? I'm actually doing some background work without seeing the type or condition of the molds to see where it should be, looks to be £65+ vat as a guide at 5 or more.

So I was wrong as thats £78.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Would have thought it would be better to discuss with the trustees what the situation is before stating they are ours and jumping any guns

Would have thought it would be better to discuss with the trustees what the situation is before stating they are ours and jumping any guns

Totally correct Steve, this is just a follow on from the airbox discussion thread where we're talking out loud about options for sensibly priced airboxes.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
No one else is talking out loud about the cost of the Air boxes at the moment as IMHO it is far to early for this, using the moulds that may be available to produce items from

No one else is talking out loud about the cost of the Air boxes at the moment as IMHO it is far to early for this, using the moulds that may be available to produce items from

understood, lets consider this the cost of an airbox if we had a mould, that could be a thing in its own right.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member

Talking hypothetically is surely not a sin?

BTW I would love to see you in pinstripes!!

I’m definitely enjoying the hypothetical thinking as I would much rather pay £100 than £200 if at all possible. I have faith that we may be able to source the moulds.

On that note - Franky or anyone else, do we think it’s possible to produce these with a shiny outer? I personally prefer the more classic car smooth looks than faux carbon fibre.

Last edited:

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Seems I am totally out of touch with the way things are done now days and no one else gives a monkeys
Oh well it was a nice place once

Seems I am totally out of touch with the way things are done now days and no one else gives a monkeys
Oh well it was a nice place once

Steve- I think you've got the wrong angle, it started as a conversation about airboxes, the massive cost that some are listed at, then looking at foreign options, its all just conjecture around what is possible, the fact there's a set of castings somewhere and then what sort of cost it would be if you had them already.

Apologies if you found it in anyway disrespectful, i'm sure not a single person who has been involved in the 'chat' has meant it in that way.