Fuel leak

Makesy

Club Member
So a couple of weeks ago I was left red faced and terrified as my sender leaked after a fill, showering fuel all over the forecourt.

Having now gotten over my anxiety, I'm ready to face it head-on and get it fixed.

Duncan P recommended I use a sealant called Dirko however I can't find the right type that is suitably compatible with fuel.

I've seen this stuff which looks like it may work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BMMWAVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EIK-EbMWRPZAB

Any thoughts?

I plan on removing the sender, cleaning the renu coating from the sender area (which seems to have prevented the O-ring from sealing properly) and reinstalling everything with a shot of this around the edges of the unit.

Makesy

Club Member
I agree, and I will be making sure the surfaces are smooth once the renu is cleaned off, but I can't afford a leak like that again, so the sealant is an added precaution.

It was traumatic!

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Hey Makesy

I've no experience in this area (yet) but offer my condolences, it sounded like quite a traumatic experience reading your reply on the other post and here.

If you are taking it all apart, would you have fuel in the tank you could use to run through the problem area and check for leaks both off and installed on the car? That way you can be certain it's sealed.

Probably not the problem but worth mentioning; the type of unleaded that goes in wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? E95 is a no go I was told. Has something in it that can eat away at some materials found in our old cars?

Geoff-R

Club Member
Hey Makesy

I've no experience in this area (yet) but offer my condolences, it sounded like quite a traumatic experience reading your reply on the other post and here.

If you are taking it all apart, would you have fuel in the tank you could use to run through the problem area and check for leaks both off and installed on the car? That way you can be certain it's sealed.

Probably not the problem but worth mentioning; the type of unleaded that goes in wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? E95 is a no go I was told. Has something in it that can eat away at some materials found in our old cars?

This certainly is the case if you leave E95 sitting in a classic car, you need to have an additive in there or it will wreak havoc.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Another area to check is where the supply and return pipes connect to the tank and the condition of the hoses. I have known the pipes sticking out of the tank to be loose and leak.