mild juddering at 30mph in 4th.

Jason S.

Club Member
72' 240Z. Wonder if anyone has any answers for a mild juddering I get at about 30mph. It goes as soon as I engage clutch and coast. It feels almost like a bent wheel. It's mild and passenger may not even notice it if not told. I would estimate the frequency to be about 3hz.

Farmer42

Club Member
If is was a bent wheel you would get a wobble not a judder and you would still get it whether the clutch was engaged or not. Most likely something to do with the drive train possibly a propshaft UJ.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If by juddering you mean at the steering wheel, then I would check all your wheel bearings and alignment.

If my last two weeks’ experiences have a “moral of the story” it is, don’t trust ANYTHING a PO may have done and check / then double check all your drive train, suspension and steering nuts / bolts for completeness, torque and correctness (I.e. properly rated bolts where load bearing).

The UJ thing mentioned above makes sense.

Now this may sound silly but also check your wheels are squarely mounted on the hubs with no rust or paint blobs. Then check all wheel nuts are tight. My Brother in law who is a wizard in the kitchen but utterly useless with mechanical things equal measure, once drove back to London from Devon and told me he had a strange vibration from the rear that went away if he went over 80mph. I went cold knowing exactly what had happened and shot over with a torque wrench - he had put the rear wheel on himself and not torqued the bolts enough - so by the time he got to London 4 were totally loose and one was only finger tight [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]