Nissan Rally Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Please can anyone confirm that these were optional catalogue wheels for any S30/31 ?

Then could they, in theory, have been seen on any model ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Please can anyone confirm that these were optional catalogue wheels for any S30/31 ?

Then could they, in theory, have been seen on any model ?

I can confirm that they were NOT.

Nissan's works 'Rally' magnesium wheels, manufactured for Nissan by Kobe Seiko, were never sold to the general public - as a new factory part, with a part number - and were not certificated for use by the general public on the public road.

The M-Speed replicas are also not certificated, and the ones that come out of the front door of the factory carry an indemnity sticker warning that they are not officially authorised for road use in Japan. If you're buying stuff out of the back door of the factory then who knows what stickers they carry...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, thanks.

So, aside from these wheels fitted on the Portuguese market 240Zs which are preseumably neither works nor magnesium wheels : https://fsautomoveis.com/datsun-240z/ none of these type of wheels whether Kobe Seiko or M-Speed are authorised for the road. Does that mean then that even the M-Speed replicas are not JWL /JASMA certified ? Why would M-Speed invest to produce a 9kg* replica wheel unauthorised for road-use ? *heavy so hardly likely to be used off-road in competition use !

Here we see two types : https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/...heel-sold-individually?variant=15222843539565

25-J4211 - closed spoke design (and seen on the Portugeuse cars) of size 5.5x14 +25
25-J4212 - open spoke design of size 7x14 -16 (both styles of which are seen on Z432s) :

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/nissan/fairlady-z432/1971/674268
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...fairlady-z-432-goes-to-auction-in-us/?slide=1

JDM car parts com quote this : Original Z432 Optional magnesium wheel takes special lug nuts, however these take regular tapered nut. So they were a catalogue option in the JDM for Z432s ? Confusing.....

Sean’s taken the weight of 9kg from Facebook. There’s no way a race wheel in that size would be 9kg.

Ian, are yours m speed ones? I think yours aren’t the same ‘dish’ are they? What width?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sean’s taken the weight of 9kg from Facebook. There’s no way a race wheel in that size would be 9kg.

Ian, are yours m speed ones? I think yours aren’t the same ‘dish’ are they? What width?

Thanks Ian. Yes, Franky's right- I haven't received mine yet and merely copied the weight quoted on FB....good to hear that they're a LOT lighter - thanks.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I seem to remember having a set of Scimitar 4x114.3 steel Dunlop polished rim wheels and I reckon they must have weighed nearly 9kgs each.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, thanks.

So, aside from these wheels fitted on the Portuguese market 240Zs which are preseumably neither works nor magnesium wheels : https://fsautomoveis.com/datsun-240z/ none of these type of wheels whether Kobe Seiko or M-Speed are authorised for the road. Does that mean then that even the M-Speed replicas are not JWL /JASMA certified ? Why would M-Speed invest to produce a 9kg* replica wheel unauthorised for road-use ? *heavy so hardly likely to be used off-road in competition use !

Here we see two types : https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/...heel-sold-individually?variant=15222843539565

25-J4211 - closed spoke design (and seen on the Portugeuse cars) of size 5.5x14 +25
25-J4212 - open spoke design of size 7x14 -16 (both styles of which are seen on Z432s) :

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/nissan/fairlady-z432/1971/674268
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...fairlady-z-432-goes-to-auction-in-us/?slide=1

JDM car parts com quote this : Original Z432 Optional magnesium wheel takes special lug nuts, however these take regular tapered nut. So they were a catalogue option in the JDM for Z432s ? Confusing.....

As you often seem to do when talking about *these* wheels, you're conflating two different designs, two different uses and zig-zagging between the two.

The Nissan Kobe Seiko '432' magnesium wheel was supplied as OEM equipment on the PS30 model, and was therefore also supplied as a spare part with a Nissan part number.

The Nissan works Kobe Seiko 'Rally' magnesium wheel was never supplied as standard equipment on any road car that the public could buy, and was never offered with a Nissan part number for the general public to buy.

They are TWO DIFFERENT DESIGNS, with different patterns and different constructions. Certification of the 432 wheel does not apply to the Rally wheel.

Your "9kg" weight quote comes from your Bulgarian back-door dealer. I suggest you ask HIM for answers to your questions.

Thanks Ian. Yes, Franky's right- I haven't received mine yet and merely copied the weight quoted on FB....good to hear that they're a LOT lighter - thanks.

the seller of 'your' wheels is quoting 9kg.

Or about 33% more than it really should. thats a massive difference on rotational mass. its like having an extra 60kg in the car overall.

I thought you would have supported the forum and bought from Preet?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
the seller of 'your' wheels is quoting 9kg.

Or about 33% more than it really should. thats a massive difference on rotational mass. its like having an extra 60kg in the car overall.

I thought you would have supported the forum and bought from Preet?

As I said, these would be 'show' wheels so I don't really care how much they weigh, I have one pair of much lighter road wheels and full-road tyres and another lighter set of track wheels and semi-slicks. But I don't beleive that 'my' wheels are 9kgs each....I'll weigh them when I get them and let you all know.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
As you often seem to do when talking about *these* wheels, you're conflating two different designs, two different uses and zig-zagging between the two.

The Nissan Kobe Seiko '432' magnesium wheel was supplied as OEM equipment on the PS30 model, and was therefore also supplied as a spare part with a Nissan part number.

The Nissan works Kobe Seiko 'Rally' magnesium wheel was never supplied as standard equipment on any road car that the public could buy, and was never offered with a Nissan part number for the general public to buy.

They are TWO DIFFERENT DESIGNS, with different patterns and different constructions. Certification of the 432 wheel does not apply to the Rally wheel.

Please forgive my ignorance then - which is the 'rally' design (solid spoke design ?) and which the more open (432 ?) and how wide were the circuit racers' wheels, please ?

Were there varying sizes of wheels for both styles ?:blush:

Attachments

• 23915414099_a4333e528b_b.jpg
    23915414099_a4333e528b_b.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 30

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So, aside from these wheels fitted on the Portuguese market 240Zs which are preseumably neither works nor magnesium wheels : https://fsautomoveis.com/datsun-240z/ none of these type of wheels whether Kobe Seiko or M-Speed are authorised for the road.

Does that mean then that even the M-Speed replicas are not JWL /JASMA certified ?

Why would M-Speed invest to produce a replica wheel unauthorised for road-use ?

Alan, you didn't answer my questions - why would M-Speed invest in an uncertified wheel unfit for road use please ? And why would anyone therefore buy them unless for static show display or garage wall decoration ?

Alan, you didn't answer my questions - why would M-Speed invest in an uncertified wheel unfit for road use please ? And why would anyone therefore buy them unless for static show display or garage wall decoration ?

I'd take a punt on the fact that they've not wanted to pay for the correct certification. Or that they intend as a 'race only' part. Same as buying Kehin FCR's from Japan and they come with super cool race use only stickers on them.

I've lots of parts that are race use only/not for use on public road.

Not a reflection on any type of quality, just a reluctance to pay to get them certified, which might be more to do with where they're made on their certifications.

Please forgive my ignorance then - which is the 'rally' design (solid spoke design ?) and which the more open (432 ?) and how wide were the circuit racers' wheels, please ?

Were there varying sizes of wheels for both styles ?:blush:

and offsets, what are the offsets of the ones you've bought?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'd take a punt on the fact that they've not wanted to pay for the correct certification. Or that they intend as a 'race only' part. Same as buying Kehin FCR's from Japan and they come with super cool race use only stickers on them.

I've lots of parts that are race use only/not for use on public road.

Not a reflection on any type of quality, just a reluctance to pay to get them certified, which might be more to do with where they're made on their certifications.
Yeah, I think you're probably right - like just about any big after-market brake kit etc. Not sure I'd go racing with them with certification at all tho....

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
if you look at Ians, you've not bought the same type

for preets wheels, there's two types and I think you don't know which ones you've bought?

You wouldn't go racing with them, just because of the weight

Preet is selling the opên-spoked type....only, not two types.

I've bought that, the open type, not the same as Ians' although I hardly expect them to wear more than Ians'.

Do YOU believe that 'my' wheels are 9kgs each ?

Preet is selling the opên-spoked type....only, not two types.

I've bought that, the open type, not the same as Ians' although I hardly expect them to wear more than Ians'.

Do YOU believe that 'my' wheels are 9kgs each ?

I only quoted what your supplier stated. I like to see all of them on scales

There’s a lot of metal on that design. So would add weight to a casting, they’re not forged.

there must be a reason they were magnesium, obviously they were racing at the point where everything you can do counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.