Ball joint replacement - anything else to consider?

Makesy

Club Member
Hi all,

Took the car for a brief spin in a yard behind my house and could very clearly hear a "clunk clunk clunk" from the front left wheel which got louder with turning.

Suspected issue is a ball joint and there's plenty of great advice on here about replacements (I'm going with this Moog joint)

a91349b9f0db588818adf892a78c5e8b.jpg

I've never done this job before - unexplored territory for me....

Are there any other parts that are liable to need changing in this area? Do I need anything else other than this joint to complete the job?

Any tips from anyone who has done this before?

Appreciate it's a bit of an open ended question, just trying to avoid having to redo something I should of considered whilst the steering/suspension is in bits!

Thanks team!

Alex

uk66fastback

Club Member
I did this job on mine a few years ago. It's pretty straightforward. The other things to check while down there are the ARB bushes and the rack gaiters.

I think I fitted moog ones as well. Track rod ends are okay are they? Every car I have ever imported from the US has needed new ones. Here were mine ... shocking!

avsZs9jn.jpg

crnfkXwe.jpg

wP3UMGKV.jpg

Makesy

Club Member
I did this job on mine a few years ago. It's pretty straightforward. The other things to check while down there are the ARB bushes and the rack gaiters.

I think I fitted moog ones as well. Track rod ends are okay are they? Every car I have ever imported from the US has needed new ones. Here were mine ... shocking!

avsZs9jn.jpg

crnfkXwe.jpg

wP3UMGKV.jpg
Jees Mike! They've taken a right beating!

If I'm honest, I don't know, but I'm tempted to replace anyway to be on the safe side.

I'll try and grab some pictures tomorrow and seek further info.

Thanks for the advice!

peter_s

Club Member
The ball joint is very easy to replace on these cars. An impact gun or a breaker bar will help a lot.

If you need to change any bushings besides the ones for the anti roll bar you would have to tear down a lot more parts. Which is fine, but will take more time of course.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hey Alex - you’l need a ball joint splitter tool and a heavy hammer. I replaced my track rod ends at the same time, along with the bushes on the swing arm and tension rod bushes. You’ll also need a grease gun, or get someone who has one to inject the necessary bits. Cheers, Graeme

c212b82b5f18e8d90a4f0439924df5b8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Makesy

Club Member
Thanks for the advice all.

Rather embarrassingly when I jacked the car up today, I noticed the wheel lugs on the culprit wheel were all loose! Pretty sure this was the cause of the issue, but I snapped some pictures anyway...

5215cf25a9081bc8b955c87e35f38404.jpg

0226130d749002dff90ddb9a5d36ce2e.jpg

Both sides are much the same, with the rubber perishing and whilst there's only a slight play on the nearside, I feel it would be prudent to order the track rods, drop links and ball joints in advance of changing them over at a suitable juncture.

At the same point, I'll do the anti roll bar and tie rod bushes too.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
What is that blue spacer for under the compression rod? Have seen it a couple of times on Zs but not sure what it does.

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If you look on both sides of your front chassis rails, you will see a toe eye either side. What I'm thinking is fabricating something to replace a side and have a screw in tow bar that sticks out out of the front valence - while there are JDM cool options that are permanently on display they are antisocial and not safe for pedestrian crash safety. Then again none of the front of a Z was designed with that in mind ;)

I just checked my ball joints and they look the same! :( So i need to do this job too. How on earth are you supposed to get to the castle nut on top of the joint without taking the strut out of it's tube!? Can't see anything on the FSMs.

Edit - just figured it out - have been a numpty!

Last edited:

toopy

Club Member
I believe the 'towing hook' is actually a tie down hook for transport purposes and were supposed to be removed at the dealers, at least that's what i read, I'm sure here on the forum at some point!

Paul_S

Club Member
I believe the 'towing hook' is actually a tie down hook for transport purposes and were supposed to be removed at the dealers, at least that's what i read, I'm sure here on the forum at some point!
Yep, I read that on here too ...after I'd had my respray done, tie downs included!

But I decided that if they've been on the car 48 years then who am I to remove them now?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
If you look on both sides of your front chassis rails, you will see a toe eye either side. What I'm thinking is fabricating something to replace a side and have a screw in tow bar that sticks out out of the front valence - while there are JDM cool options that are permanently on display they are antisocial and not safe for pedestrian crash safety. Then again none of the front of a Z was designed with that in mind ;)

I just checked my ball joints and they look the same! :( So i need to do this job too. How on earth are you supposed to get to the castle nut on top of the joint without taking the strut out of it's tube!? Can't see anything on the FSMs.

Edit - just figured it out - have been a numpty!

Was on another thread about towing eyes. Sean has a good design - here’s hoping he manufactures a bunch. I’ve no doubt he’d have a lot of orders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Makesy

Club Member
I hadn't considered my towing hook position until you guys mentioned it. Certainly interested in a solution you may develop @AliK

Also intrigued by my blue spacer if anyone could advise....all I can contribute is that my car is an almagamation of a 240 a 280 and a 280zx where the previous American owner picked the best bits off of all 3, so it really could be from anywhere!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That’s the beat sort of Z! It’s like having mixed children, they get the best of the different DNA pools! [emoji106]