Anyone running open trumpets / velocity stacks?

Open trumpets on several cars over many years here. Only had problems with foreign bodies getting into them when a bunch of 'bright sparks' (ie dim knuckledraggers...) decided to stuff crisp packets, old leaves and handfuls of turf into them at a Z Club-organised meeting.

So, leaving your bonnet open at a car show might actually be more risky than open trumpets per se.

I think the expression on the street* is 'Haters Gonna Hate'...

*one for the teenagers there.

what reason was that for? was your car the wrong colour?

status

Well-Known Forum User
It’s something I was thinking of doing when Jon and me put the new motor in,didn’t know you were running that set up Jon,Wot car is that on
And Rob to suggest not to drink beer
You stupid boy

johnymd

Club Member
This is the silver car Paul. Ex LHD car that I built 2018/19. This is the current evolving project for me to play with.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Bet it sounds good,are they the Suzuki motorbike tbs,as I said I was thinking of doing away with the air box,wot do you think,oh yeah engine arrives about 2 nd July

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I do recall the PMAC / Skidell dream team doing a list of rolling road work on this topic and it transpired that open trumpets suffered with reflected waves off the side of the engine bay. If I recall they said the late Mr F style air box was the best way forward for power.

But I guess loosing 5-10 bhp may be worth the sound effects of open trumpets if the car is not about ultimate power.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I do recall the PMAC / Skidell dream team doing a list of rolling road work on this topic and it transpired that open trumpets suffered with reflected waves off the side of the engine bay. If I recall they said the late Mr F style air box was the best way forward for power.

R&D is interesting and I guess it is useful when chasing ultimate tenths, but when dealing with 50+ year old cars you can easily end up attempting to count how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin.

The idea of reflected waves off the side of the engine bay makes my eyes glaze over. Presumably a strut brace would also affect a couple of cylinders more than others? How about a bank of tiny spring-loaded baffles to 'catch' the waves and bounce them back at the inlets? A bit like the roof of the Albert Hall? No, maybe not...

Meanwhile, back in 1970:

Works PZR-053.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
here's a quick analysis of those 70's rebound waves....

albeit a very non-scientific one... :rofl:

Analysis readout:

Cylinder 1 = 0.0008% power reduction due to proximity of fuel filter.
Cylinder 2 = 0.01% power reduction due to proximity of strut tower.
Cylinder 3 = Ditto.
Cylinder 4 = Full power on every second Saturday of the month!
Cylinder 5 = Ditto.
Cylinder 6 = Oh dear, it's the clutch master cylinder...

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Analysis readout:

Cylinder 1 = 0.0008% power reduction due to proximity of fuel filter.
Cylinder 2 = 0.01% power reduction due to proximity of strut tower.
Cylinder 3 = Ditto.
Cylinder 4 = Full power on every second Saturday of the month!
Cylinder 5 = Ditto.
Cylinder 6 = Oh dear, it's the clutch master cylinder...

[emoji1787]

ROFLMAO !!!!

Farmer42

Club Member
I ran open 75mm trumpets on my twin SUs and the car ran better than with the OEM airbox but that is orange so perhaps it was the wrong colour.

I bought a couple of trumpet filters from the US to fit to the front (see pic) and have not had any problems. However I have now switched to K&N deep filters and will be dropping smaller trumpets inside. I am very risk averse when it comes to my car so that is why I switched.

Attachments

• 20190323_095555.jpg
    20190323_095555.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 16

Paul_S

Club Member
I ran open 75mm trumpets on my twin SUs and the car ran better than with the OEM airbox but that is orange so perhaps it was the wrong colour.

I bought a couple of trumpet filters from the US to fit to the front (see pic) and have not had any problems. However I have now switched to K&N deep filters and will be dropping smaller trumpets inside. I am very risk averse when it comes to my car so that is why I switched.

Is that the type that was warned about here?

Caution with Foam...heard horror stories of parts of them being sucked in and in worse cases they are a catalyst for fires through carb spit backs etc.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Is that the type that was warned about here?

I don’t think it was those but rather ITG style foam filters like these ...

b742b954e2316a32f1d108e4dea13549.jpg

Last edited:

toopy

Club Member
How often if ever does a well tuned road car, even a modified one, ever spit back into the carbs? highly strung race car engine i can appreciate but for just about everything else!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well Mr T, I’m not sure about the definition of spitting back, but all engines have reversion - more so those with longer duration / overlap cams.

Case in point, after running mine with open carbs for my web cam and tuning antics, the paint opposite the front carb on the strut tower (much like my webcam screen and head torch on the other carb) has fuel marks / discolouration on it.

I would suggest that it’s not just the “spitting back” but more so the shockwaves coming back up the inlet tract that may be contributing to the foam filters breaking up.

DCOEs “spit back” more for this reason than SUs as there isn’t the carb piston in the middle restricting them as much and the inlet path is a straight line to the ports. This isn’t like a misfire due to timing issues with the cam or ignition where it makes a popping noise through the carbs. I know that noise well - remember when my timing was c.300 degrees advanced and blew apart my silencer in the process of trying to start the car? (My 123 ignition installation where I stupidly trusted the no.1 mark on the Beru cap).

My A4’s throttle body that is quite a long way around the corner from the valves was completely black and gummed up on the rear side (and that is a modern TFSI engine) - next time you take your SUs off, look at the black soot on the back of the butterflies or the rear of the pistons - ever wondered where that’s coming from!? ;)

Last edited:

peter_s

Club Member
I was visiting one of the top engine builders yesterday in Sweden. I asked the question about running without arifilters, and he only said: "Stupid idea... ask X (a shared friend) what can happen if you run without an airfilter". :D

He have blown a whole engine. I'm buying an airbox for my trumpets...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Running without a filter is tempting because it's easy, sounds good (not for quiet trackdays though) and looks uncluttered - however would you be happy to buy a secondhand expensive modern car that the PO was running without a filter? I know that's a hypothetical situation but what would it tell you about the owner?