240z Resto

Makesy

Club Member
Plates have arrived and now need fitting. This feels like a long awaited milestone. Much closer to getting on the road once I've sorted a few more bits.

Started work on a spreader plates for the spoiler as I don't trust the fibreglass to hold. I used some steel from an old barrel, cut and shaped to mate up with the spoiler.

c2f418762edcd3b6618b1e784acb5cf8.jpg

5d770e60a5ef4f14e097d33c5c2c4522.jpg

The more I play with this front spoiler the more of a faff I'm finding it to fit, though I'm not sure how much of this is the manufacturer's fault, and how much of it is in the nature of owning an old car!

422793831e9e84d089a262f3f63a043d.jpg

I've decided to use self tappers to hold the spreader plates in place against the spoiler. I'll drill holes in the car where it mates up where the tappers will protrude (south of the headlight scoop), as well as 2 bolt holes to attach it to the car, allowing for removal if required. The idea is that the plate and the car will sandwich the spoiler in place. All of this handywork will be covered by a bumper in due course anyway. The bottom of the light scoops already have some holes in..not sure if these were put in by the P/O

907b0feeb327c814c648eecf13f061a7.jpg

I've turned the fuel pressure down significantly (40psi down to 30psi) as the car was running quite rich and fouled up some plugs. I'll monitor this and adjust accordingly, but so far, so good.

I also managed to get the car over a pit and free off the transmission fill plug that was super seized. All it took was a 17mm open ended spanner, a short rod of scaffolding and my body weight! Whilst I was doing this, I took some pics of the underside of the car.

5a4eb1b5e3789683fabb4316273e6ac5.jpg

cc7c2ffbd1c284dd632fc58254fe851c.jpg

8ba8d59d026edb24cffe7d9cf6f3786a.jpg

Aside from a bit of surface rust, I'm quite pleased with how it looks under there. The frame rails are a bit squished, presumably from years of being lifted in the wrong places, but they don't look like they need replacing imminently.

Now the plug is free, I'll change the transmission oil in next few days. The bell housing plate is missing 2 bolts which I'll need to replace.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to drill all necessary holes for the spoiler and once done, get it sprayed up prior to fitting.

I've also scuffed up the rear surround ready to spray. For this area of the car, I liked @richiep 's Ford grey shown in his thread and plan to get colour sprayed up in the future, but for now I'll use a smooth black to keep the rust out and smarten it up a bit.

c047fa67225e874c0fd326a8cfe69b9e.jpg

Makesy

Club Member
Forget that spoiler and keep the original valance. Why remove it and fit a bit of old barrel and fibreglass?

My dad was a 'cooper' for many years.View attachment 38348
Tempted to refer to you as Mr Cooper from now on [emoji14]

I don't actually have a valance, so I haven't removed it to fit this. The car came with a left and right lower panels which the indicators sat in below the headlight scoops, and a stock grill, but no valance.

I do quite like this spoiler so I'll be sticking with it. I also picked up different spoiler a while back, so I'm spoilt for choice in case I change my mind later on.

The fact that the steel comes from a barrel makes no difference to me. :)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
why did he change his name to Gaskin?

He
Tempted to refer to you as Mr Cooper from now on [emoji14]

I don't actually have a valance, so I haven't removed it to fit this. The car came with a left and right lower panels which the indicators sat in below the headlight scoops, and a stock grill, but no valance.

I do quite like this spoiler so I'll be sticking with it. I also picked up different spoiler a while back, so I'm spoilt for choice in case I change my mind later on.

The fact that the steel comes from a barrel makes no difference to me. :)

Well on the post at the beginning of this Thread it looks fine to me.

By the way we have met I think - did you collect wipers arms off me in Chesterfield?

Makesy

Club Member
He

Well on the post at the beginning of this Thread it looks fine to me.

By the way we have met I think - did you collect wipers arms off me in Chesterfield?

I'll eat my words....it's spent that long with the valance off I forgot I had one! I think I have 2 actually!

Correct Rob, A very fleeting meeting where I didn't even have time to get out of my car! Your wipers will be going on the car very soon!

uk66fastback

Club Member
You want to flog one then (or both) as they're not easily found in decent condition, presuming your are. Thing is, everyone wants spoilers, so they are probably loads of valances kicking around ...

I'll be keeping my valance, but then I like the original look more and prfer the more pointy shape rather than a spoiler nearly on the ground!

Makesy

Club Member
You want to flog one then (or both) as they're not easily found in decent condition, presuming your are. Thing is, everyone wants spoilers, so they are probably loads of valances kicking around ...

I'll be keeping my valance, but then I like the original look more and prfer the more pointy shape rather than a spoiler nearly on the ground!
I'll have a think....I've a problem with keeping hold of stuff "just in case", however I can't see why I'd need 2. Cheers for that

Bazzateer

Club Member
I'll have a think....I've a problem with keeping hold of stuff "just in case", however I can't see why I'd need 2. Cheers for that
Same here, explains why I have 10 spare transaxles and 6 engines for the Imp! Plus multiples of other parts........

Makesy

Club Member

Just seen this going on DPAN Mike

2842d3cfdd59c7dfd9e9b26e8152547a.jpg

Oh to live in America with parts galore!

Makesy

Club Member
Plenty of progress made over the past couple of days.

Spreader plate successfully self tapped to the spoiler. I canned the idea of drilling locator holes into the bottom of the scoops and hacksawed the protruding ends of the self tappers off.

Pleased with the result though I do think rivets would have been a neater option and will explore this route the next time I take the car apart.

A final pre-paint fitment looked like this

85643e29be720a1d3dafd90031fa0d99.jpg

With it being over 20c today, my office looked like this

c9fa934b80897499066ae1b07ff6cfe1.jpg

Most of the day was spent brushing, sanding, priming and painting the spoiler and the rear panels

Before...

9d1403fff4c163965d92c3abb57e1ea6.jpg

After (there were a few more coats after this)

fb71d3551d5b92e478eb3f25f7a8c9cb.jpg

e6d9f58cb389f46d8479115250db76e6.jpg

Annoyingly, the gloss level and my sub-standard prep has left me with a fairly poor finish on the rear panels.

af0a8f3c33326ddf32a491bee0b1f095.jpg

The front spoiler came out alright though.

Again, once I take the car for a full spray I'll leave all this to the professionals.

Whilst everything was drying I removed the front wings. Many of the bolts were missing. I'll need to order some replacements.

8056f2b36f6158a5217d86096c2d8d95.jpg

Fortunately it was pretty clean under there. This was the worst of it, aside from some pinholes around the battery tray.

a799704abe24bbaf21576d4235e8d494.jpg

I cleaned up the surface rust with a wire brush and gave it a once over with a rattle can. This will put me on for now.

I'm going to mask around the scuttle tray and spray this area as there's a lot of peeling paint and surface rust around there that I don't want to leave. I don't have a good picture to hand but you can kind of see here...

8c19a718e780766998549be651137c13.jpg

Elsewhere, you may have seen I got my horn and wiper motor all connected. To

My side lights and rear lights have fallen over somewhere so I'll have to get these running, as well as putting the windows back in (please no!)

Makesy

Club Member
Removing a few bolts turned into a lot of painting tonight.

I'd originally planned to vacuum the car in advance of painting tomorrow but no time like the present!

I gave the inner doors a spray with some white direct-to-rust paint I had lying around. It was tricky because there's not a lot of access, and the door opening mechanism had to be covered with a plastic bag. Not perfect, but better than the surface rust that had started to appear

cb84aa05ce5f0c11cd99c97e12bd29a8.jpg

The can started leaking so I had to quickly get to work on the other side. Paint ended up everywhere!

I gave the scuttle and drivers floor panel a spray of black, but ran out part way through. I'll finish this up later

363fe08e22ad17af852f9bb755ea000d.jpg

6e998b0db5f6cb5b632144ed24770b51.jpg

Test fitted the rear panels I'm quite pleased with the new black look.

ede0e1c463a03b2d9af03f538915399a.jpg

Tomorrow I'll fit these properly with my newly obtained £4 pop rivet tool :)

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Tomorrow I'll fit these properly with my newly obtained £4 pop rivet tool :)

The rear panels are usually held on with plastic rivets the same as the interior trim. I would advise against pop rivets as the only option to remove them is with a drill. You may think why would I want to remove them but the seals round the lights can be problematic and let in exhaust fumes. Just a thought that’s all.

Mike

Mark N

Club Member
The rear panels are usually held on with plastic rivets the same as the interior trim. I would advise against pop rivets as the only option to remove them is with a drill. You may think why would I want to remove them but the seals round the lights can be problematic and let in exhaust fumes. Just a thought that’s all.

Mike

Plus the installation of pop rivets may not be too kind to forty-odd year old plastic.

Makesy

Club Member
Plus the installation of pop rivets may not be too kind to forty-odd year old plastic.

Thanks guys, point noted.

The rear metal covers were previously held in with rivets installed presumably by the previous owner, however I definitely wouldn't be using them for interior trim.

I've used bigger, stronger bolts with countersunk heads for the rear lights, along with a newly fashioned rubber gasket which should keep those fumes at bay. The old captive nuts has long since had it so I bored these out.

A more real concern is the state of my slam panel which definitely will need replacing as it's been fibreglassed over and is crumbly in places

Mark N

Club Member
Thanks guys, point noted.

The rear metal covers were previously held in with rivets installed presumably by the previous owner, however I definitely wouldn't be using them for interior trim.

I've used bigger, stronger bolts with countersunk heads for the rear lights, along with a newly fashioned rubber gasket which should keep those fumes at bay. The old captive nuts has long since had it so I bored these out.

A more real concern is the state of my slam panel which definitely will need replacing as it's been fibreglassed over and is crumbly in places

I didn't realise they were metal and thought they were plastic like the 260Z/280Z.
Every day's a school day!

Makesy

Club Member
Scuttle panel all sprayed I set about with refitting the panels

d7e59b3d71417d0f4cd220742d5643ab.jpg

86d3586e5e27f6daefe27d065b490df9.jpg

The driver's door fouls the front wing and it has done this for a whild. Thhe culprit seemed to be a missing bolt just above the door hinge. As quickly as I fixed the issue, I manage to trip the threads like a melon.

53a65ab50ec888a54cd9fb12fe302139.jpg

I then cleverly prodded it, slicing my finger open...

c400c92d7a367503fc5468964a48252c.jpg

I've ordered a helicoil set and will look at fixing that later. Abandoning that job, I moved on to the front spoiler

9c2a0f73e61eeabf71433262c2189531.jpg

I'm really pleased with how this has turned out, despite the wrestling match I had with it!

Using about 4 washers as spacers, I've fitted the (poorly sprayed) fuel flap.
213765a0d5cd079b38af9156ea85187b.jpg

I've fitted the rear lights using M6 countersunk bolts and nylockers so they butt right up against the housing and the bodywork, sandwiching the seal to hopefully prevent any fumes.

5011138c7258e35f3487f46b66a8842f.jpg

8e44f3984e00ecc752c8808159b66b70.jpg

And the cherry on the cake....a £10 suction cup mirror, because needs must!

I need to fit my rear panels and plates, sort a solution for the rear lights and figure out why my driver's side drum is scraping then I'm pretty much good to go!
0de13b2389f25814bae15f988dd1fad5.jpg