Fixing a sticky seatbelt on a 260z

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
There are jobs that you enjoy doing to the Z and then there are the more mundane keep her on the road jobs.

My seat belt decided not to reel out anymore and it had been a little temperamental since I’ve had the car; when clicked in, it wouldn’t let me reach forward for the bonnet catch unless I pushed myself back into the seat first to release it.

I couldn’t find anything on the net showing how and what to do so I thought I would do a brief write up.

Firstly, if like me you have never opened up the seatbelt mechanism before, beware of the spring side.

Feeling foolhardy I undid the three screws for the spring compartment and had a visit from Zebedee!!!

19a28963bc61833d6e3b6149abacfaca.jpg
IMG_7008.jpeg

It took a while and foul language to untangle it.

d546d051173fea4b39be1694459e0850.jpg
IMG_7009.jpeg

Once I had it in this state and spent a little time figuring out just how the heck it was supposed to go back, I can report that the best method is to clip the wavey bit into the plastic cover and turn the spring in. Strangely it is the opposite way to the natural way the spring coils when out.
IMG_7018.jpeg
50313ed3fd9b3abbf082aee998ecd7d0.jpg

Once I had it all back in, I put the cover over the top and coaxed the clip end onto the spindle. Then it’s a matter of gently turning the cover to align and put the screws back in. For good measure I did oil the spindle while about it.

72894ce0f7450fd994a09c6f30fd255a.jpg
IMG_7019.jpeg

e5721698b314928fa28d8f7ae6bddc58.jpg

IMG_7022.jpeg
896e8997423f19061123848bf2fcfacf.jpg

The trick is to get the seat belt wound in as much as you can before clipping in the spring as the first part of the spring is quite slack and wouldn’t reel the belt in. It is slack so that you can clip it in - I think.

IMG_7023.jpeg

Then I got to start the job I wanted to. The other side has the inertia mechanism which I never had seen before and is a beautiful and simple bit of engineering.

ca7a472974e57828ee275ad3a3796a72.jpg

IMG_7011.jpeg

Removing the C clip, it allowed me to gain access to all of it.
IMG_7024.jpeg

The problem was that the mechanism itself had generated microscopic metallic particles as it had worn and made it difficult for the wheel to spring back out once engaged. With a toothbrush and brake cleaner I got rid of the black dust and oiled it all up.

I also had to stretch the spring a tiny bit to make it work more reliably. For good measure I gave the metal bracket a good coat of paint too.

Bizarrely the bolts on the seat belt and the reel to the chassis, were too big for 17mm socket but too small for 18mm and an 11/16ths was perfect. Go figure. Putting a metric head on means the cover caps are loose, so I stuck with the old bolts.

Once back together again in the car, it works as good as any belt on my Audis. So I’m very pleased with the outcome. If you avoid the spring side it’s a very quick and easy job to do.

Attachments

• IMG_7017.jpeg
    IMG_7017.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7023.jpeg
    IMG_7023.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Been meaning to do this on mine for a while now, glad to hear it’s fairly simple and actually makes a difference!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well done. I'm tempted to say 'are you sure it will operate properly when it's needed' but I won't! That's just the cautious side I have being an old git.

So before you cleaned it was it unsafe - sounds it? MoT guys pull on them to check their action.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Am I the only one who had a chuckle after seeing the first picture?
Good job and write up!
I recently took a dome light to bits and wished I hadn't. But when these things get put back together working it's great for your mental wellbeing.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Been meaning to do this on mine for a while now, glad to hear it’s fairly simple and actually makes a difference!

Glad it’s useful. My aim is fulfilled.

Well done. I'm tempted to say 'are you sure it will operate properly when it's needed' but I won't! That's just the cautious side I have being an old git.

So before you cleaned it was it unsafe - sounds it? MoT guys pull on them to check their action.

Yes you old git! [emoji12](sorry, you left me nowhere else to go with that)

I have given it a tug test and she does lock as expected but at least now she unlocks when you reel back.

‘Twas fine for MOTs as it locked but didn’t unlock until the seatbelt was taken off again.

Am I the only one who had a chuckle after seeing the first picture?
Good job and write up!

Me too! I first laughed at myself and had to take that photo! But then quickly felt like crying wondering how much they go for on ebay! Then I slapped myself and got on with it. I tried several times to coil it back by hand between my fingers but that is an utter waste of time, there is simply too much tension. But once clipped in to the plastic housing it’s a doddle to wind it back from the outside in. I forgot to mention oiling the spring also. It’s metal against metal and you can see by the black line on my jeans that over it’s 43 year life, it too has created metal dust!

I recently took a dome light to bits and wished I hadn't. But when these things get put back together working it's great for your mental wellbeing.

Ah, there it is. The voice of great experience. I’m just playing catch up with you rob but I totally relate to it. The rear bearings job gave me HUGE satisfaction after the struggle - so much so that I did the other side that didn’t really need doing, for fun [emoji12].

I so need to get out more often!!!

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So gang, I went back to this thread to remind myself what I had done and all the photos were missing!!! This is because Tapatalk was used to post them and they had moved things from one server to another and lost photos in the process (so their customer support tells me). Let this be a warning for other Tapatalk users!

I was just setting up new iPads for the kids (linked to my account) and came across the photos again, hence updating the original post.

I did have a good laugh at my “Zebedee” moment though!!

IMG_4354.gif