What did you do to your Z this week?

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Nice Huw, good to let your car out for some fresh air :)

I took mine out of storage last week to fettle with it on my driveway. Replaced the choke cable, ran a wire for splitting my brakes/indicators, replaced a flasher unit, got my indicators working and changed the gasket on the cam cover.

The engine was leaking from the gasket, turned out all but one of the cover bolts were loose! Sorted now though. Shout out to Huw for hooking me up with a new gasket, worked a treat.

Found a leak at the top of the rad, so I plan to take it off and get it re-cored. Also replace the fan and while we're at it, the water pump while I've got access to the front of the engine.

Been really fun, learning how it all works during the lockdown. Has kept me busy and kept my mind working.

Next is balancing the carbs and see how I can get the voltages up (showing 7v dc at the rear lights, new wire shows 9v)

Huw

Club Member
Nice Huw, good to let your car out for some fresh air :)

I took mine out of storage last week to fettle with it on my driveway. Replaced the choke cable, ran a wire for splitting my brakes/indicators, replaced a flasher unit, got my indicators working and changed the gasket on the cam cover.

The engine was leaking from the gasket, turned out all but one of the cover bolts were loose! Sorted now though. Shout out to Huw for hooking me up with a new gasket, worked a treat.

Found a leak at the top of the rad, so I plan to take it off and get it re-cored. Also replace the fan and while we're at it, the water pump while I've got access to the front of the engine.

Been really fun, learning how it all works during the lockdown. Has kept me busy and kept my mind working.

Next is balancing the carbs and see how I can get the voltages up (showing 7v dc at the rear lights, new wire shows 9v)

No probs Martin. Good to see your car. Arrow radiators in Avonmouth can do you a re-core. Rockauto https://www.rockauto.com/ probably the best place to order stuff like water pumps and fan clutches if sticking with a mechanical fan.

Huw

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Bought one of these ....

ea89c954d06e8fded03d516c1a6fa469.jpg

360nm should cover everything on a Z I think.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Yes exactly. Turns your breaker bar or socket set into a very versatile torque wrench. My wrench only goes 100nm. My neighbour’s super expensive digital 200nm wrench has what appears to be identical electronics to this £40 item from machine mart. They do another that goes even higher.

S30_Nut

Club Member
View attachment 38082 Replaced the water pump and got to take my new addition out for the first proper, be it short drive Monday.
Clutch a bit suspect, so investigating a replacement system, but no rush.
Just enjoying having it for now.....

Not being a fan of chrome, and on the look out for alternatives. I was considering either brushed steel or black. Looking at your car the black bumper is perfect! Any idea where I can pick up a set of them?

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Not being a fan of chrome, and on the look out for alternatives. I was considering either brushed steel or black. Looking at your car the black bumper is perfect! Any idea where I can pick up a set of them?
Paint or vinyl wrap what u have seems to be the way. I’m vinyl wrapping the trim, coming out great

Attachments

• 6E1DF02B-36D9-49B3-89CF-3BCE1EFF095D.jpeg
    6E1DF02B-36D9-49B3-89CF-3BCE1EFF095D.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 38

yellowz

Club Member
How easy is it to wrap the small things? Can see loads of videos of how to wrap a door/car/bumper but nothing on small items.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
How easy is it to wrap the small things? Can see loads of videos of how to wrap a door/car/bumper but nothing on small items.
Fairly easy after a bit of practice and u can do it from the comfort of ur living room. I’ve never done it before and 1st attempts were on the rear 1/4 window frames, building up to doing all the locks and door handles. The heat gun is an essential tool on complex curves and edges. On the fuel filler lock I managed to disassemble it to do the lock centre but on the door locks this isn’t easily possible

Attachments

• 2E06757D-0D8C-4DEA-B8F7-E094B25F821A.jpeg
    2E06757D-0D8C-4DEA-B8F7-E094B25F821A.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 530D352F-B9F9-44E5-905B-483DCB733E64.jpeg
    530D352F-B9F9-44E5-905B-483DCB733E64.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 87ADA9DC-CE81-4BC1-B690-4F8307044CD2.jpeg
    87ADA9DC-CE81-4BC1-B690-4F8307044CD2.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 45

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
My front bumper was wrapped and the curvy bits weren’t shrunk properly with a heat gun as stated. I’m going to attempt the rear light surrounds one COVID day! Soon! ;)

scb1957

Club Member
used this lockdown time to try to restore this Z31. Luckily, the guy i bought it from Waxoyled and undersealed the entire car, so there was very little rust. I have had it for 13 years, but the last 3 , it has sat on the drive and totally neglected. I have taken the speedo out and put it back in, because the odometer didn't work, but when i put it back in, it started working again. So far, so good and i have added 7 miles to the clock. The speedo and odometer gave up the ghost about 4 years ago with about 58,700 on the clock. It has done less than 200 miles in the last 4 years, so i need to go for a decent run, now that it is working.
I have spent the last 3 weeks tidying up the bodywork and it's starting to look a damn site better than it did. Got a problem now with paint suppliers, because they are on lockdown. I need a windscreen wiper controller, if anyone has got one for sale. I am going to try to add updated photo's. Hope to get to a meet up north when all this lockdown stuff is finished.nissan 1.jpg nissan 1.jpg nissan 1.jpg nissan 2.jpg nissan3.jpg