My Latest Datsun

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
As always, I defer to your far greater knowledge and am more than open to suggestion regarding period correct 5 speed box. 280ZX just seemed a more common upgrade and, I thought, possibly more available than an earlier box.?

I wouldn't claim to be any kind of expert on the 510-series cars, even if I've always admired them.

One thing I believe you'll have to watch out for is the respective gearbox lengths. I think I'm right in saying that a 4-speed equipped P510 would have been fitted with a '63' length gearbox (Zs were '71') so when putting in a '71' you have to deal with the big difference in shifter position.

Nissan used to sell a 'Sports Option' kit to install the FS5C71-A transmission into the P510 body, and it included a different trans mount, a shifter kit and a new propshaft. I believe they did the same with the 'B' type 5-speeds a little later, so they *do* fit and hopefully you would not need to do too much chopping around.

I think your R160 diff ratio will already be a 3.9:1?

toopy

Club Member
IMG-8207-Copy.jpg

That transmission tunnel looks a little naked, when you're so used to seeing a centre console in a Z

Nonetheless the dash and dials look nice, much better than other marques of the period!

JK240

Club Member
That transmission tunnel looks a little naked, when you're so used to seeing a centre console in a Z

Nonetheless the dash and dials look nice, much better than other marques of the period!

I agree, I have got a couple of centre consoles that came in the car to fit, they don't look brilliant at the moment, but its more stuff to play with.

The JDM fitted ones don't look too dissimilar to Z type centre consoles either , so I'm going to hopefully get something like this made from the two bits I have

JDM-Console.jpg

JK240

Club Member
I wouldn't claim to be any kind of expert on the 510-series cars, even if I've always admired them.

One thing I believe you'll have to watch out for is the respective gearbox lengths. I think I'm right in saying that a 4-speed equipped P510 would have been fitted with a '63' length gearbox (Zs were '71') so when putting in a '71' you have to deal with the big difference in shifter position.

Nissan used to sell a 'Sports Option' kit to install the FS5C71-A transmission into the P510 body, and it included a different trans mount, a shifter kit and a new propshaft. I believe they did the same with the 'B' type 5-speeds a little later, so they *do* fit and hopefully you would not need to do too much chopping around.

I think your R160 diff ratio will already be a 3.9:1?

Thanks again Alan, all good to know. You're not going to tell me you've got a 'Sports Option' kit too have you in your home for retired gearboxes..!!

Seriously though, once you can get out again please do let me know what you've got that might work for me. PM or email if you prefer, and clearly no immediate rush due to current situation. Hope your all safe and well in your location too.

Cheers,

JK

richiep

Club Member
Have you spent much time on ratsun.net? That’s probably one of the main forums for 510 discussion, including mods etc.

JK240

Club Member
how are you getting on with this?
Slowly...!

I only got a registration number for the car from DVLA last week as, even though they got the paperwork before lockdown, they were shut effectively to any process that needed paper documentation, the number plates are arriving today at some point.

I've got a set of wheels that I'm planning to try when I can get to go and pick them up and the guy I use for my mechanical work is coming round next week for us to formulate a plan of works.

Plans are still just to lower with coilovers, renew all the electrics and move things like battery and fuel pump to the boot to give the engine bay a neater look.

I will still want a 5 speed box, though I may have sourced one through Preet hopefully.

Then the interior needs refreshing, new or refurbed seats.

Plenty to go at, but as this year is written off as far as shows and meets, I've plenty of time. It should hopefully be ready for Donny next May :cool:

Cheers,

JK

Last edited: