What did you do to your Z this week?

Paul_S

Club Member
Over the weekend I pulled my gearbox out from storage in the garage and thought I would have a quick look inside to check the type of syncros for when I come to rebuild it, as the car had been sitting for over 10 years. Aswell as finding out they where the Porsche style syncros making the job harder in the future I also found alot of gunk. Lucky me!
I have a question that I feel I should already know the answer to - what makes the Porsche style syncros a harder job to replace?

atomman

Club Member
I have a question that I feel I should already know the answer to - what makes the Porsche style syncros a harder job to replace?

From what I have learnt most of the replacement parts are in the USA where they mostly had the brass synro's so don't make the steel type , there is a company in Oz however that makes them though ,

Chris159

Club Member

As Atomman has said, getting the steel syncro rings is the difficult part but they where available from SW Motorsport in Australia last time I checked.

Paul_S

Club Member
As Atomman has said, getting the steel syncro rings is the difficult part but they where available from SW Motorsport in Australia last time I checked.
Ah, thanks for that. I do remember reading about the differences in another thread. I guess there's no way of telling from the outside of the 'box which syncro rings they use?

atomman

Club Member
Ah, thanks for that. I do remember reading about the differences in another thread. I guess there's no way of telling from the outside of the 'box which syncro rings they use?

You can take the fill plug out and look through there , easy if it's on the floor, but in the car you could use a endoscope , got a cheap one ages ago that plugs into my phone,

toopy

Club Member
From what I have learnt most of the replacement parts are in the USA where they mostly had the brass synro's so don't make the steel type , there is a company in Oz however that makes them though ,

Out of interest can the brass ones be used in a box that had steel ones originally? and does it really matter for road cars covering low annual mileages to have brass ones, or is it not just a wear issue?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Out of interest can the brass ones be used in a box that had steel ones originally? and does it really matter for road cars covering low annual mileages to have brass ones, or is it not just a wear issue?

With Warner (Brass) vs Servo (Steel) synchronisers, you're not just talking about the synchro rings/bands themselves, so it's a very involved (and costly) undertaking. You can't mix-and-match on individual gears, although some of the 5th gear synchros on Servo type 'boxes were Warner type.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Got my head back from the doctors today, Hmmm lovely... N42, chambers cleaned up, big valves and ported, 0.535” Bonk cam with new followers n springs. Exciting!!

Attachments

• 6D218B72-AC5F-4515-BD93-D56425213036.jpeg
    6D218B72-AC5F-4515-BD93-D56425213036.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 6F34ACB5-33CE-4058-8659-B8B606896380.jpeg
    6F34ACB5-33CE-4058-8659-B8B606896380.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 07F7D8B7-9DAF-4AD9-A738-ECEB91DFAF58.jpeg
    07F7D8B7-9DAF-4AD9-A738-ECEB91DFAF58.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 49

WazzaJB

Club Member
IMG_20200410_151949_804.jpg
New radiator is in, fit's nicely overall although the pre-drilled holes were out 50mm vertically and 5mm horizontally. Drilled some new holes and had to shave the drain plug as well because it catches the pan underneath too much.

Overall, pleased for the money :)

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
After AliK posted about the orientation of the break shoes I thought I would have a look. Pleased to report mine are put on right. While I had the wheels off and the rear up I adjusted the hand break, something I was going to do for a while. I also did a spanner check on the drive shafts and whilst I managed to tweak a few nuts nothing untoward.