My Latest Datsun

JK240

Club Member
Hello folks,

Well after several years of non ownership I've got myself another Datsun, my latest project arrived just a couple of weeks ago before the lockdown kicked in thankfully.

All the way from Johannesburg, I couldn't really afford another Z, and am very thankful I didn't blow my savings on one now the world has gone to rat-sh1t.

1970 Datsun P510 4 door 1600 SSS

Really pleased with it overall, body work is solid and the engine runs really well. Interior is a bit shabby, but I've plenty of time to sort it all out now, I had planned on its first outing being LMC in July but that's all out of the window now..!

Coil-overs, brake upgrade, and refurbing the interior are all in the planning stages now until we come out the other side of this current disaster and a gearbox upgrade too, so if anyone out there has a 5 speed 280ZX gearbox stashed away let me know :)

Stay safe guys,

Cheers,

JK

PS Bumpers were removed for shipping, but they'll be back on once I've polished them up :)

IMG-8200.jpg

C1-CC1-D2-B-F511-4677-9-F2-F-3-CE7-AAFB7-CC3.jpg

IMG-8211.jpg

Wally

Club Member
Looks great. I think my next project will be a 510. Or an r33 gtr, I've been wanting one for a while

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So glad you found another Datsun Jonathan. Hope to see it sometime and ride in it.

Don't put arches on it!

JK240

Club Member
As far as I know it hasn't been cancelled yet?
I’m sure it will be postponed if not cancelled, Wimbledon and The Open both bigger events than Le Mans Classic have been. And would you actually want to attend a gathering of this scale this year anyway.
My money would be on a 12 month postponement and it to run in July 2021...?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
1970 Datsun P510 4 door 1600 SSS

...and a gearbox upgrade too, so if anyone out there has a 5 speed 280ZX gearbox stashed away let me know :)

Super Sports Sedan! Nice!

I'm running a sheltered housing scheme for old, homeless gearboxes. How about a period-correct FS5C71-A?

I have a couple of B types too. At least one FS5C71-B and - I think - an FS5W71-B too. I'll have a look when I'm allowed out to check...

JK240

Club Member
Thanks Alan,

As always, I defer to your far greater knowledge and am more than open to suggestion regarding period correct 5 speed box. 280ZX just seemed a more common upgrade and, I thought, possibly more available than an earlier box.?

Please do let me know what you have when you can that would be great :)

Here you go Rob, needs a bit of work but I've got the time for now :thumbs:

IMG-8207-Copy.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Loving the roof rack.

Is that staying on Jonathan - with a picnic basket
Thanks Alan,

As always, I defer to your far greater knowledge and am more than open to suggestion regarding period correct 5 speed box. 280ZX just seemed a more common upgrade and, I thought, possibly more available than an earlier box.?

Please do let me know what you have when you can that would be great :)

Here you go Rob, needs a bit of work but I've got the time for now :thumbs:

IMG-8207-Copy.jpg

Nice - I wanted to see the dials to make sure it wasn't a low-spec commuter car.:devil: