What did you do to your Z this week?

LiamR

Club Member
That's my experience to.

I suppose if you told them its stored in a garage and you actually have a garage then fair one. Some of us unfortunately, do not have garages so do not have the choice. But nevertheless thanks for the concern about my insurance. Always nice that people on here are looking out for you!

Jay.

Club Member
So.. after a 4 month wait and many messages back and forth my carbon arches finally arrived from the USA.

View attachment 37590 View attachment 37591 View attachment 37592

Then as if by magic or coincidence, my friend who's looking after my car found this when he was setting off for work...

View attachment 37593 View attachment 37594 View attachment 37595

No note left, nothing. Nice one! He thinks it was the Tesco delivery wagon as his neighbour had a food delivery at 9pm and everyone else is on lockdown. He lives in a small cul-de-sac so the truck would have to have reversed out, and it seems about the right height of where the light mounting bar is on the back of the truck. No proof though so got to bite the bullet and pay for the repair myself. Bugger.

Tesco lorries have an impact detection system which will record if it bumps into something. It's definitely worth phoning up and requesting them check whether the driver did hit your car! If they haven't detected anything the you're in no worse position

WazzaJB

Club Member
I suppose if you told them its stored in a garage and you actually have a garage then fair one. Some of us unfortunately, do not have garages so do not have the choice. But nevertheless thanks for the concern about my insurance. Always nice that people on here are looking out for you!

Not to bore anyone with more of the insurance stuff, but I'm in the same boat as you in that I don't have a garage. Car is technically only insured if it is on my driveway, although I left it at my mates unit for the entirety of winter...

Unfortunately these are the compromises you have to make at sub-25, everything should change and get easier for me this year. Most like Footman James etc won't insure anyone under 25 on a LHD car (let alone a classic).

toopy

Club Member
I have to insure mine for overnight on the driveway, it's garaged down the road 95% of the time, but on the few occasions it's not in the garage, it wouldn't be covered otherwise.

I've also been told that once the agreed value goes over £20,000 i wont get overnight on the drive cover, at least not from my current insurer.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I have to insure mine for overnight on the driveway, it's garaged down the road 95% of the time, but on the few occasions it's not in the garage, it wouldn't be covered otherwise.

I've also been told that once the agreed value goes over £20,000 i wont get overnight on the drive cover, at least not from my current insurer.

Classicline will insure for overnight on the drive.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I got some tyres on my 17s - TR1s because they were cheap like me.
I was a bit surprised that they're not symmetrical.
DSC_0005.jpg

They're marked inside/outside, but no rotation direction markings.
I found a couple of things on the internet confirming this is how yhey are. Weird.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Parcel from Mark (Minksport) arrived today. Replacement lens for a front indicator and a switch for the under bonnet inspection lamp. 5 mins to fit the lens. At first the switch didn't work so I pulled it apart and cleaned up the contacts which were a bit corroded. Now it works! Cheers Mark!
20200404_145802.jpg20200404_145807.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I got some tyres on my 17s - TR1s because they were cheap like me.
I was a bit surprised that they're not symmetrical.
View attachment 37628

They're marked inside/outside, but no rotation direction markings.
I found a couple of things on the internet confirming this is how yhey are. Weird.

Tyres like that surely are directional. The grooves in theory clear the water but in your situation the grooves are in opposite directions.

It doesn't look right. I think that about some alloy wheels which have curved spokes - on one side they look correct and on the other they look wrong.

WazzaJB

Club Member
IMG_20200404_145648.jpg

Got some new tyres on, 205/55/15. Not overly happy with the look of them versus the 45's but it is far more practical. Long term probably go up a wheel size or 2.

I'm having my drive tarmaced next week so took the Datsun to my brothers to leave on his drive, however when I got there I noticed a greenish liquid starting to pool up underneath it..

IMG_20200404_150312.jpg

Closer inspection shows the radiator has given way.

Going to order a cheap aluminium one to get me by, but I also need a temperature gauge sensor as that gave up on my last lot of work.

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/16-7110

I think that is what I need, but I can't seem to find one in the UK? Does anyone have any ideas? I've seen ones advertised as L28 sensors with a single spade connector on them but advertised as for Nissan Patrol, which I assume is LD28 so wouldn't be right?

EDIT:

My research is telling me either of these will work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COOLANT-TEMP-SENSOR-FITS-INTERMOTOR-52510/143419127176

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coolant-...60-2-8-86-to-90-L28-Sender-Lucas/233441781339

Last edited:

atomman

Club Member
Got some Z time today after spending the last few weeks working on prototype Ventilator parts ,

Sanded and polished the machined base plate to get it a bit clearer, found out the bend I had didn't really work so had to use some flexi to join to the elbow through the front valance and hopefully my catches will be here next week to replace the cable ties
IMG_20200405_143240.jpg IMG_20200405_150435.jpg IMG_20200405_143321.jpg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Got some Z time today after spending the last few weeks working on prototype Ventilator parts ,

Sanded and polished the machined base plate to get it a bit clearer, found out the bend I had didn't really work so had to use some flexi to join to the elbow through the front valance and hopefully my catches will be here next week to replace the cable ties
View attachment 37660 View attachment 37661 View attachment 37662
What height are your trumpets there Gary? the clearance looks fine, whereas I think the 65mm ones on my ITBs might be too close for comfort.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've been preparing for the return and installation of my head. Block and Manifolds clean, head gasket disassembled and cleaned and manifold gasket ports opened up :thumbs:
With a bit of luck, I'll get it back and installed next weekend.

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well I've been 'soldiering on' with my wiring. Bit of a nightmare but well worth while. I've learnt so much about the car and also discovered quite a few 'issues' which I've been able to correct. All my wiring is now open and I can see every wire on the car! You would be amazed how many 'Factory' joins there are in the looms. It's the sort of job that I find very rewarding but no-one will ever see a difference. These cars are over-complex - I'd not want to do this on a 280Z.

Chris159

Well-Known Forum User
Over the weekend I pulled my gearbox out from storage in the garage and thought I would have a quick look inside to check the type of syncros for when I come to rebuild it, as the car had been sitting for over 10 years. Aswell as finding out they where the Porsche style syncros making the job harder in the future I also found alot of gunk. Lucky me!

Attachments

• 20200405_133224.jpg
    20200405_133224.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 35