Fairlady 2/2 at Auction today

Farmer42

Club Member
Looks like a nice car. It says it's had a respray and also says that the engine has been 'upgraded' to 2.4L so it sounds like its been rebored.

Interesting to see where this goes to gauge where mine sits at the moment.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Looks like a nice car. It says it's had a respray and also says that the engine has been 'upgraded' to 2.4L so it sounds like its been rebored.

Interesting to see where this goes to gauge where mine sits at the moment.

Yes been resprayed. I very much doubt if the engine has had any work. They didn't list it correctly at the original auction - it was described as a prototype 260Z 2+2.

Last time it got to £20k I think but didn't meet reserve. They might regret that.

It's a good buy at £16k.

uk66fastback

Club Member
When was it auctioned last time when it reached £20k but didn't sell, Rob? I think as you say, they're going to regret that. There isn't going to be the disposable about while this virus is here ...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I would still want to see underneath photos before bidding.

Nice looking car but where's the value now it's matching numbers' engine is 2.4Ltr ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I'd take the "upgraded to 2.4l" with a slight pinch of salt if it still uses its original L20 block.

L20A(E) had smaller bore and shorter stroke than L24, although rod length is the same at 133.0mm, so increasing capacity effectively is not just a case of rebore and new pistons. You'd want to know what was done and how.

There's also the question of the cylinder head. L20A(E) had an E30 head casting which has nice combustion chamber shape but relatively small valves and ports, so an increase in displacement is not necessarily going to be effective without head modifications. Next question is carburettors, as those on an L20A will be smaller than on an L24 (or L26...).

L20A(E) is a great package in context, but modifying starts off a domino effect...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Buy the 2/2 now for 17500 incl fees. 12 months ago that would have been a very good buy IMO.

There are some bargains to be had - Porsche today.