Tailgate hinge gasket/boots

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Is everyone using these, or have you noticed water getting in if you don’t? They seem really expensive for what they are, over £100 by the time you’ve shipped and paid tax!!
I believe not fitted to later 280z there must be some reason for that.
I just tried making one but it wasn’t the best thing I’ve ever produced!

Attachments

• 84B54B94-9D1D-451B-A3FA-23960BC292B9.jpeg
    84B54B94-9D1D-451B-A3FA-23960BC292B9.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 31

Bazzateer

Club Member
Stupid question time!

I take it they fit between the body and the bracket? Does fitting require removal of the tailgate assembly?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Oh my god, why did I pay the price to have these shipped over from the US!!!

Next you'll be telling me there's somewhere cheap I can buy the thin metal cover....

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User

Next you'll be telling me there's somewhere cheap I can buy the thin metal cover....

Luckily when I did my car mine were in reasonable enough condition to reuse.

Paul_S

Club Member
They go between the door handles and bodywork (they look a lot bigger in the photo!)

Edit: You can just about see one hiding on the right hand side on this pic (sorry, I must have a better one but can't find it at the mo)

gallery_245_510_147876.jpg

Turn & Burn

Club Member

I’ll make some these up, can do a few pairs if anyone needs them? May need a template to start from though.

toopy

Club Member
Whats the purpose of the metal bits? does it act as a spacer or to stop the hinge crushing the rubber or both? I've never seen one!

Could they perhaps be printed out of plastic?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Whats the purpose of the metal bits? does it act as a spacer or to stop the hinge crushing the rubber or both? I've never seen one!

Could they perhaps be printed out of plastic?

I think they're supposed to spread out the force from the hinge across the whole rubber boot. They look like this:

20190212_144126.jpg

Last edited:

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Fitted the boots yesterday and made up the retaining brackets, came out pretty neat, but I have a feeling when I fit the hatch all the hard work I did shimming the gaps will be wasted, I reckon it’s added nearly 3mm

Attachments

• B280BC76-70AF-4FB4-A084-042F71EC4CAC.jpeg
    B280BC76-70AF-4FB4-A084-042F71EC4CAC.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 25