I'm going 1JZ

Russell

Club Member
Who needs a car when you can do 115mph in your living room. So you've got rid of the speedo cable for all that stuff?

You could replace those two candles with LEDs whilst you are at it. Are they your headlights?

Sorry - being an bit silly, must be my 'cabin fever'!

No Speedo cable. Gearbox has an electric speed sensor so using that.

Will be able to easily make it accurate regardless of what wheels and tyre changes I make.

Emulating the signal on my desk for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
No Speedo cable. Gearbox has an electric speed sensor so using that.

Yes I did know. You are a clever guy.

Are there speedos that work of GPS?

In my track Z my speedo was inaccurate due to ratios and differing wheels/tyres.

I used a RoadAngel.

Last edited:

Russell

Club Member
Yes I did know. You are a clever guy.

Are there speedos that work of GPS?

In my track Z my speedo was inaccurate due to ratios and differing wheels/tyres.

I used a RoadAngel.

I could add a GPS module and take the speed from that. Would work fine except when you are in a tunnel.

I am pulling the signal from the gearbox sensor already in place (technically I am taking it from the ecu to keep the wiring loom neat).

Wheel and tyres will never matter because the speedo is just looking for a square wave signal from the sensor.

For every 1 revolution of the prop shaft is sends out 4 pulses.

I then just need to work out how many times the prop turns per mile based on the rolling diameter of the wheels and the diff ratio.

I feed this into the arduino with a bit of maths which it then uses to convert the frequency into MPH (or KPH at the click of the wheel for continental driving)

If I ever change wheels or diff ratios I simply update the “pulse per mile” and everything will work again.
Because of this I can make it extremely accurate.

I do need to know what the standard diff ratio is on a 260z 2+2 though if anyone can advise?

Russell

Club Member
Currently on my 5th iteration of the 3d printed frame to hold the stepper motor and the screens.
Takes an age to redo each time!
6f9a353f37d59aec8316ea9191832fd0.jpg

62c6f526e4751aa6b4c99c0532a80a75.jpg

87587b93d2d76b0df600fe18354c7cf3.jpg

c48e1f7490b7a6b0ead9fe2f2363b47f.jpg

17e31be6d4bd2388cbaee2c281ff2414.jpg

Russell

Club Member
Until now I have been trying to fit the complete code onto an arduino nano because the small size would have allowed me to fit it all in the speedo itself.

Although I succeeded, it used up all of the available memory which then affects performance.
Based on this I have had to upgrade to a “Mega” which has a huge amount more memory and I was saving for the tacho which will need it.
It technically fits in the speedo chassis but as there is so much more memory I can add a lot more sensors to it so may keep it external so I can plug everything in.

Looking at incorporating;
- ambient temperature
- engine bay temp
- coolant temp
- oil temp
- oil pressure
- boost pressure
- AFR

These will all be in the menu on the top screen and some will be included in the tacho project as well.

With more memory I can also fit the required code to stop the needle being so jittery as well as utilising a larger font library so I can closely match the Z font.
On top of that I can make the startup logo a bit more dynamic.

Back to messy desk while I change all the wiring etc now though!!
1484c6ca66c02bd1328c7a41b62ba767.jpg

Russell

Club Member
I believe up to early 1977 it was 3.7.

That should match mine then. Will update my calculations as I had it at 3.5.
Doesn’t really matter for now. Will just compare to gps when it’s in and see if my maths add up.

Russell

Club Member
I have been looking for a suitable workshop that I can put a ramp in and continue working on my car for ages.

Suitable basically means - cheap!

Spoke to a local farmer who said he has a building he just puts rubbish in and if I clear the rubbish out he will let me use it cheaply.
No worries I thought, get a skip in and chuck everything in.

Tapatalk not letting me upload the photo at the moment but there was slightly more rubbish than I had imagined.

Ended up pulling out 70 tyres including a tractor tyre and wheels, a big skip full of metal, a skip full of normal waste and a very big bonfire for the wood.

I now have a decent size cleared building ready to prepare the floor for paint, secure the doors without making it look like there could be something valuable in there and sort the electrics.
It appears to have three phase and I have an electrician popping up later to check it out for me.

Will be able to really crack on with the Z in there!

Bazzateer

Club Member
I have been looking for a suitable workshop that I can put a ramp in and continue working on my car for ages.

Suitable basically means - cheap!

Spoke to a local farmer who said he has a building he just puts rubbish in and if I clear the rubbish out he will let me use it cheaply.
No worries I thought, get a skip in and chuck everything in.

Tapatalk not letting me upload the photo at the moment but there was slightly more rubbish than I had imagined.

Ended up pulling out 70 tyres including a tractor tyre and wheels, a big skip full of metal, a skip full of normal waste and a very big bonfire for the wood.

I now have a decent size cleared building ready to prepare the floor for paint, secure the doors without making it look like there could be something valuable in there and sort the electrics.
It appears to have three phase and I have an electrician popping up later to check it out for me.

Will be able to really crack on with the Z in there!

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing pics, I love a good sized garage/workshop.

Russell

Club Member
Looks like the app is working now so here is a before and after

f4dff6d45b0e9eada431e6cc1f916cf6.jpg

deb020885fcdeae49c44733ee4632c2f.jpg

Drilling some test holes to see it the floor can handle an2 post ramp this week, wiring being done next week.

Then a good wash and prep the floor for paint or epoxy.

Also to secure the front doors without drawing attention to it.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Loving your work and that garage space !! [emoji106]

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Wonderful space for a Z. I've said it many times I don't have any space so jobs take so long and are very awkward. When I think what I've done over the years I can't believe it. However it is nice to able to just go into the garage to tinker or go for a drive. If I had to travel it would be another frustration. Also you need 2 sets of tools and what about security and insurance.

The other aspect of course is that it's costing money so that has to be costed in.

Russell

Club Member
Wonderful space for a Z. I've said it many times I don't have any space so jobs take so long and are very awkward. When I think what I've done over the years I can't believe it. However it is nice to able to just go into the garage to tinker or go for a drive. If I had to travel it would be another frustration. Also you need 2 sets of tools and what about security and insurance.

The other aspect of course is that it's costing money so that has to be costed in.

I have a couple of friends who need to store cars and have an area to work on theirs so 3 of us paying for it which makes it easier.

Having the proper workshop means my other cars will only have to go to the garage for MOT’s as well.

It’s also only about 5 mins from my house which is really handy.

Security is a worry so the plan is to secure the doors from the inside properly rather than make it obvious we have put a lot of effort into making it secure.
Will be keeping the doors shut when we are in there so it looks like any other farm building as much as possible.
No matter how well we secure it, if someone wants to break in they will.