S14 gearbox rebuild.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That's a handy guide Jon
The crazy thing is I thought about changing the clutch release bearing but it was a new one I put in when I originally fitted the gearbox but I have put pattern parts on my cars in the past and they have not lasted very long so I tend to go for genuine or Oem if possible.
I had fitted some aftermarket rear brake cylinders and I had to change one of them as it started leaking, was gutted as I got a rubber rebuild kit but being aftermarket the rubber seal would not fit as the aftermarket brake cylinder one had a bigger hole so that new rubber seal would not fit the brake piston. Luckily I had a spare new tokico rear brake cylinder one to fit. I fitted that in between fitting the rear driveshaft.
So my gearbox rebuild ended up with me fixing the diff and replacing a rear brake cylinder.

240L31

Club Member
Is it worth it/possible to rebuild a gearbox with a destroided counter shaft gear? Any opinions? Maybe I tackle this project..

gear.JPG

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
First of all do you have the skill and experience to do it and know what needs replacing and what doesn't?

If so you can answer your own question better than us.

240L31

Club Member
I don't have the skills yet but I am willing to learn a new thing :) I'll shop for a better condition gearbox to start with, though.

What's your experience with aftermarket synchro rings? @moggy240 did you compare them to the OE ones?

Last edited:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I don't have the skills yet but I am willing to learn a new thing :) I'll shop for a better condition gearbox to start with, though.

What's your experience with aftermarket synchro rings? @moggy240 did you compare them to the OE ones?
That's a great attitude. I had the guts to do the conversion and dismantle the casing/bellhousing/tailshaft etc but I never took the actual gear assembly apart for fear of the unknown. Also I think you need special tools

My thoughts were buy a gearbox and try it. I've had four S13/14 gearboxes altogether in my trackday car (all were serviceable but I damaged them) and two in other cars (very good).

Dismantling that damaged one could be very interesting as a learning exercise (and for spares) but to end up with a good gearbox could be costly because you'd probably replace things that might be ok just to be safe.

We'd like to see how you go on with that though.

Last edited:

Lee Higham

Club Member
Took it for a quick drive today.
The throttle was sticking a little bit at first.
The gear box is sounds better through the gears and it all works, the backlash I had in the diff was much improved.
The only downside is that the gearbox is still noisy while idling unless I press the clutch and the noise goes away.
Not going to worry about that at moment.
Ive just done the S13 conversion and rebuilt the box, mine is also noisy when idling and goes away when I press the clutch in.
Think im just going to run it and see if it gets any worse or better as it beds in.
It is a pig going into reverse though, again I can live with that for a while.
I did replace the pilot bearing and the spigot bush in the crankshaft.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ive just done the S13 conversion and rebuilt the box, mine is also noisy when idling and goes away when I press the clutch in.
Think im just going to run it and see if it gets any worse or better as it beds in.
It is a pig going into reverse though, again I can live with that for a while.
I did replace the pilot bearing and the spigot bush in the crankshaft.
That's interesting as I was thinking it could have been the pilot bearing but I think I can not worry about that now.