What did you do to your Z this week?

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Hmm....I'm 6'2" and weigh about 15stone, and definitely don't go in for workouts!
Looks like I'll be lying on my back with my head in the footwell.
Haynes manual just says pull them out the back. Can't see it being that easy.
Take the seats out!

Bazzateer

Club Member
Bloody awkward getting at the screws at the rear of the tacho and speedo. Got the screws out though and managed to remove the tacho without too much grief. Unfortunately the led bulbs don't work in the tacho, must be wrong polarity like the glove box. Same with the indicator bulbs. So, old bulbs back in and put the tacho back. Didn't bother with the speedo as I assume it will be the same.
So, the Speedo and Tacho still light up like this:
dash 2.jpg

Bazzateer

Club Member
Yep, it all looked the same on the back of the tacho. Just weird that the original bulb worked fine and the led didn't. We'll see tomorrow. Seat and steering wheel out made access a bit easier.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Did you test with the gauge out of the dash? I think it may earth through the dash frame, so needs to be installed in the dash.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Did you test with the gauge out of the dash? I think it may earth through the dash frame, so needs to be installed in the dash.
Great minds, I was thinking the same but the original bulbs worked. When I pull the tach tomorrow I'll check the voltage at the sockets.

RawlinSTR

Club Member
From http://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/changing-instrument-lighting/

"Most of the sockets in the back of the instruments are a basic ‘one wire’ connection, where the barrel (outside) of the bulb is connected to the chassis for ground. However, several of the sockets have this reversed – assuming you have good visibility to the connector, these are easy to spot – they have two wires running to the bulb socket. These “two wire” bad boys have the polarity reversed and LED bulbs may not work without some tinkering."

Thanks to CV-19 I've been given a 40% pay cut today and a 3 day week.

After the initial shock, I've decided to sort the garage, hope to start making some progress next week.

Bazzateer

Club Member
From http://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/changing-instrument-lighting/

"Most of the sockets in the back of the instruments are a basic ‘one wire’ connection, where the barrel (outside) of the bulb is connected to the chassis for ground. However, several of the sockets have this reversed – assuming you have good visibility to the connector, these are easy to spot – they have two wires running to the bulb socket. These “two wire” bad boys have the polarity reversed and LED bulbs may not work without some tinkering."

Two wires to the tacho lights. Guessing the same for the speedo.