Uk datsun 240z good buy or no?

richiep

Club Member
The car that the OP posted about was Dave Holland's old car (owned by Glen Valentine's brother Neil, and discussed here before several times - a well-known Cheshire Plainz car). It's a UK survivor deserving a proper restoration but does need a lot of bodywork (and will need more than is visibly apparent without a doubt as one starts digging and sorting old repairs that kept it on the road in decades past, etc.). If you can't do the bodywork and fabrication yourself and don't have very deep pockets to simply have someone else do it - price no object - then forget it. It's not a project for a newbie to Zs IMO.

Bazzateer

Club Member
So that's £5k each - where do you work :smoke:

I assume you mean 'a weeks work' isn't excessive.
2 guys working together on it each doing a 45 hr week = 90hrs.
So I could easily see a proper job by an outfit like Fourways costing that. Don't forget the guys doing the work won't be getting £100/hr, that's for Fourways to cover wages, rates, and all other overheads.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
2 guys working together on it each doing a 45 hr week = 90hrs.
So I could easily see a proper job by an outfit like Fourways costing that. Don't forget the guys doing the work won't be getting £100/hr, that's for Fourways to cover wages, rates, and all other overheads.

I know I was jesting. ;)

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Thanks for the info guys glad I joined this club. Think i may be onto a good car aswell because of this thread Al keep you uodated on my progress of you like?

thanks again

Hey,

Hope you get one. I’ve just about completed my California LHD restoration after about 2 years. No intention to do a RHD conversion. There’s no escaping the fact a mint 240z will set you back £25 - £30k, regardless of whether you restore or buy (though I think you’d sink much more than that if you bought a welding project and you can’t do it all yourself). For me, I wanted a very particular look & feel for my car, so was happy with the project. It however I wasn’t, best off with the bank loan as Rob suggested and get right to enjoying the car. Cheers, Graeme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hey,

Hope you get one. I’ve just about completed my California LHD restoration after about 2 years. No intention to do a RHD conversion. There’s no escaping the fact a mint 240z will set you back £25 - £30k, regardless of whether you restore or buy (though I think you’d sink much more than that if you bought a welding project and you can’t do it all yourself). For me, I wanted a very particular look & feel for my car, so was happy with the project. It however I wasn’t, best off with the bank loan as Rob suggested and get right to enjoying the car. Cheers, Graeme

I should add. I started out with a US import. £12k. Zero rust, though needed a full prep down to metal and respray.

johnymd

Club Member
Can you still get MINT 240z's for £25-£30k? The ones I've seen for this price are nice but not what I would call MINT. Very nice driver cars can be had for this price and these are the ones I actually prefer.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Can you still get MINT 240z's for £25-£30k? The ones I've seen for this price are nice but not what I would call MINT. Very nice driver cars can be had for this price and these are the ones I actually prefer.

Fair point. I’m hopeful mine is worth more than that given money / effort spent. Though it will remain a drivers car.

johnymd

Club Member
I've seen the underside of this car on a ramp and It's in very good condition. Requires very minimal rust repairs and only in the areas that can be seen in the photo's. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

bigh

Club Member
Re converting a LHD to RHD car I spoke with a very reputable firm who carry these conversions out, and they spend 290 hours on a 'typical' conversion. Once I factored in buying a donor RHD car, it was not finically viable for me, as these cost far out stripped the market price for very good RHD car.

If the OP still a RHD drive car, look in Australia and NZ. Still cheaper than buying a rusty RHD UK car.