Tilting car lift?

Bazzateer

Club Member
Couple of guys in the Imp Club have them. They're adjustable for width apparently and they seem to work well for the price.

toopy

Club Member
Be aware that for the wider ones, if not all of them, you would have to push it under the car from the side, so would be pointless for a standard size garage.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Be aware that for the wider ones, if not all of them, you would have to push it under the car from the side, so would be pointless for a standard size garage.
Yes, the Imp guys confirm this. I'm leaning more towards a hydraulic scissor lift for the increased lifting height and easier width adjustment. Costs more though.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
As JB said, I have one and bloody love it!! It’s been a God sent on many jobs already, but you can’t use it for a transmission change - which is the only job I can think of it not being useful for.

I haven’t had cause to have it at full height so far as it goes plenty high enough for my needs. The key is to keep two wheels on the ground to share the load I.e. not see-saw the car.

My car is lower than stock (PO did it and I don’t know how much lower) so I have to drive the car onto blocks of wood or use a trolly jack to raise the car an inch or two to get the lift to slide under.

In an ideal world I would have a bigger garage and a four poster. Given my teeny weeny garage, this works and stores perfectly. My solution for storing it under the car has so far not cause any issues and if anything, come in handy while having the car in the garage and working at the rear.

If you do go this route, I recommend the CJ Autos version as it’s very solid - strangely it was cheaper from CJ on eBay than their own website!! Go figure!?

Mr.G

Club Member
CJ Autos are usually at the PPC restoration show at the NEC end of March, you may get a discount if bought on the day.

Rushingphil

Club Member
Hi Franky,

Not too clear on what your meaning there?

There's quite a lot of flexibility with the sliding arms and pads. I haven't found a problem with locating decent strong points on any car I've put on it yet - or am I missing something with the 240z?

bigh

Club Member

Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited:

bigh

Club Member
As JB said, I have one and bloody love it!! It’s been a God sent on many jobs already, but you can’t use it for a transmission change - which is the only job I can think of it not being useful for.

I haven’t had cause to have it at full height so far as it goes plenty high enough for my needs. The key is to keep two wheels on the ground to share the load I.e. not see-saw the car.

My car is lower than stock (PO did it and I don’t know how much lower) so I have to drive the car onto blocks of wood or use a trolly jack to raise the car an inch or two to get the lift to slide under.

In an ideal world I would have a bigger garage and a four poster. Given my teeny weeny garage, this works and stores perfectly. My solution for storing it under the car has so far not cause any issues and if anything, come in handy while having the car in the garage and working at the rear.

If you do go this route, I recommend the CJ Autos version as it’s very solid - strangely it was cheaper from CJ on eBay than their own website!! Go figure!?

Hi is it possible to position this in the garage, drive the car in to position over the lifting supports and then raise the car?
I have enough room to one side of the garage, to to give me space to operate the mechanism

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hi is it possible to position this in the garage, drive the car in to position over the lifting supports and then raise the car?
I have enough room to one side of the garage, to to give me space to operate the mechanism

Well chap I created a ramp for my car to drive onto, using planks similar to scaffold boards so that I can store the thing and the box it came in under the car (my garage was designed for the PO’s 70’s mini)!! [emoji849]

In this photo you can see the ramps and the lift under it’s wooden box (below the engine). Also off topic, the lovely fit of the Sean exhaust - which was the job I had jacked it up for in this instance while it was raining outside.

0f1dd97f35423c893b322b639d2f97f6.jpg

I use the lift on what some call chassis rails and others call floor supports, as the “superior” ;) late 260z has stronger supports/rails that go all the way back and distribute the load across most of the car. Not sure if that’s a good idea on the 240z / early 260z though.

I don’t use it in my garage due to the lack of space but it can be done if you have the space to use the long cranking handle. I use the handle for the first bit of lifting, then after 20 turns I use a makita 4ah cordless drill for the rest and lowering. The first bit is very heavy turning and would potentially burn out an expensive drill. Once you get used to it, I can have the car up at scary heights / angles within 5 minutes of getting the car out of the garage and the lift positioned.

The one AliK uses fits the cars well. Even has the strength to lift up the extra heavy 260's!

Saucer of milk for the man in Devon - with the gorgeous collection of parts that will some day / decade make a glorious car. [emoji8]