Jay's RB25 240z

Jay.

Club Member
6 months since the last post! Woops! Since then I've gotten married, moved into a new home and done plenty of stuff with work so I've unfortunately not had much time for doing much on the car - or even using it!

In January I went to the Classic Motor Hub NY's Day Open Day - a great location to anyone who is near the Cotswolds. Essentially a classic car dealership but at a fantastic location and some amazing decoration:

WCpaB12.jpg

They hold open days every saturday between 10am to 3pm, and well worth a visit to anyone local.

0X1J37G.jpg

PQxPQan.jpg

t3V4UlM.jpg

And the NY Day event had plenty of turn out:

kGaGRQF.jpg

r2xBlFW.jpg

And someone from the ZClub:

H7ikpyC.jpg

Jay.

Club Member
Well, traditional 6 months has passed and I'm well overdue an update. Mainly because not a lot has changed! With Covid, I've ended up being busier than anticipated and with the car show season cancelled I've pushed priority for the 240z back....

A week or so after the Motor Hub event, I went to the Sunday Scramble at Bicester... Sadly this would be the last one of the year.

lyaJBTW.jpg

1BrF4PP.jpg

Feh5Z93.jpg

status

Well-Known Forum User
Nice
Always wanted an rb powered Zed just something I never got round to sorting but got a 3.2 Rebello which replaced my 3.1 motor so can’t complain really don’t know wot choice would be quicker but after 80 mph I can’t see the point especially as I just got nicked in one of my scoobies

Jay.

Club Member
Nice
Always wanted an rb powered Zed just something I never got round to sorting but got a 3.2 Rebello which replaced my 3.1 motor so can’t complain really don’t know wot choice would be quicker but after 80 mph I can’t see the point especially as I just got nicked in one of my scoobies

I love the engine and how it revs and sounds, but I can't imagine it beats the noise of a fully open 3.2!

Jay.

Club Member
During the summer I spent when I could driving the car, and not much else. I had a vision of upgrading a lot of engine components but I've been put off doing so by the simple fact that it drives absolutely fine as it is! I'm not keen to 'fix what isn't broken'

I found a fairly well established classic car restorers near home, a company called RPS Rally, and I left the car with them for a health check and to fix some rust that has been present since I first got the car. They only found 2 areas that needed attention, so left the car with them to fix.

S9juXN0.jpeg

SRNIye6.jpeg

Jay.

Club Member
One thing I'm a little unhappy with is the positioning of the rear arches. I've asked several people and I've been told they're correct, but my eyes just can't see past the fact the wheel sits wrong in the arch. Not sure if I need to remount the arches or if I need to change the location of the hub (as some have mentioned getting some aftermarket suspension parts to shift the wheel back). It's most obvious on a side-on profile.

ZOycS5L.jpg

0j7vmMR.jpg

Any suggestions?

status

Well-Known Forum User
Can see wot you mean re: arches they don’t look right,best to compare with someone else’s Z that’s got the arches as for the sound I’m running Jenvy TBs they sound a bit like Webber’s but louder and a bit more of a crispier sound

richiep

Club Member
The arches are on backwards, that’s the issue. I.e. fitted on the wrong sides of the car. That’s why they have that awkward look to them. You’ll need new mounting holes and some welding and repainting doing...

Jay.

Club Member
The arches are on backwards, that’s the issue. I.e. fitted on the wrong sides of the car. That’s why they have that awkward look to them. You’ll need new mounting holes and some welding and repainting doing...

I figured they'd need to come off anyway - is there any way to tell what way they're 'supposed' to be on?

I asked this question on a FB group and things ended up in a pretty heated discussion as to what was the correct way on - some saying that the way they're on ATM is the correct way (due to the way it flows with the lines) and others saying they should be swapped over..

richiep

Club Member
Being frank, some of the discussions on FB suffer from being ill-informed. Too many opinions on every topic, most of them wrong/clueless IMO!

The last photo above of the right side shows it best; the arches have a “bias” in their shape, with a high point that should be towards the front of the arch, along with the widest point, that should tail off afterwards. In the photo, the high point of the flare is around the fastener underneath the quarter vent /emblem; that’s wrong, as it should be around the faster to the right. It leads to the slimmer, tailed off part being around the front of the arch, and it being too short-looking at the back and too high.

Here’s a pic of one on my project car:
KyWko43.jpg

See how the widest portion is around the third fastener from the front, and then it tails off on width after that?

Mark N

Club Member
They often need to be flexed inwards at the bottom for them to fit right (i.e. the bottoms of the flares forced towards the original arch).
Probably as most ZG style flares are a copy of a copy of a copy etc.

Jay.

Club Member
Being frank, some of the discussions on FB suffer from being ill-informed. Too many opinions on every topic, most of them wrong/clueless IMO!

The last photo above of the right side shows it best; the arches have a “bias” in their shape, with a high point that should be towards the front of the arch, along with the widest point, that should tail off afterwards. In the photo, the high point of the flare is around the fastener underneath the quarter vent /emblem; that’s wrong, as it should be around the faster to the right. It leads to the slimmer, tailed off part being around the front of the arch, and it being too short-looking at the back and too high.

Here’s a pic of one on my project car:
KyWko43.jpg

See how the widest portion is around the third fastener from the front, and then it tails off on width after that?

Excellent - makes a lot more sense seeing these pictures. Thanks!

Do you have a side-on view? Wheel still looks to be sat towards the front of the arch

Had a look on Google and it does look like they're bias from the front, which is made worse by the poor placement of my arches

1973-Datsun-240Z-side.jpg

103-Feat-OSgiken240z-014-Side-768x420.jpg