What did you do to your Z this week?

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Why I bought it ;)

It's got a fair few bits on it :) need get delivered and stripped on drive and I'll no what I have

There rear lights one slightly cracked in corner

5 speed

R200 diff

Props

4x 260 alloys

Dashboard Rhd with clocks

RHD coloum and rack

Maybe few more bits :)

Makesy

Club Member
Still not running...

Suspected fuel isn't getting through my rail.

Pulled the return line and....

IMG_20200207_174721.jpg

Anyone got an explanation or shall I call an exorcist?

(Fyi - pump was running, very limited fuel coming through. Going to top her up (gauge is broken so it's not clear how much is left in the tank) and try again.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Put another 5 litres in, if that doesn't do it, you've got a poorly pump or a restriction somewhere. I'd be trying to blow through the pipe at various points.

Mark N

Club Member
(Fyi - pump was running, very limited fuel coming through. Going to top her up (gauge is broken so it's not clear how much is left in the tank) and try again.

Check that the pump is wired with the correct polarity.
Looking at the photo of the FPR in your build thread, it's hard to see how you've got it hooked up.
It should be: fuel pump ->fuel filter ->fuel rail ->FPR ->return line

atomman

Club Member
Anyone got an explanation or shall I call an exorcist?

Rust fragments in the tank floating around and blocking the feed pipe ?
I've had it before but when some one tried to use tank sealer and bits came off and blocked the out pipe when the pump was sucking

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Rust fragments in the tank floating around and blocking the feed pipe ?
I've had it before but when some one tried to use tank sealer and bits came off and blocked the out pipe when the pump was sucking
I did that to mine years ago, tried to seal the fuel gauge sender with silicone. I had regular breakdowns for about 18m until I got it all out.

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0012.jpg Finally checked all the suspension making sure everything is tight and a reasonable spec. Then placed the car on a x4 wheel alignment and was surprised on how well the car set up seeing it is a complete S14 underneath.

Makesy

Club Member
Put another 5 litres in, if that doesn't do it, you've got a poorly pump or a restriction somewhere. I'd be trying to blow through the pipe at various points.

Pleased to say it was just low on fuel (gauge doesn't work so it's difficult to tell, and given the car hasn't moved in a long while I wouldn't be expecting it to be dry). Thank you all for your help/ suggestions.

I've topped it up and checked there's fuel coming through the return.

Tried to start her again and it's hesitating, feeling very much timing related.

Also managed to cook my negative to earth wire in the process, suggesting a loose connection somewhere. Progress? I think so!

Last edited:

Matt Berry

Club Member
Picked up my new aluminium fuel tank I had made up by a friend. More than happy with it, and it means I don’t have to use my dented up original tank!

Attachments

• 39F865DC-F142-4B0D-833F-F850692D9758.jpeg
    39F865DC-F142-4B0D-833F-F850692D9758.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 38
  • E386E923-07ED-40B0-97D7-0B6B05707DB4.jpeg
    E386E923-07ED-40B0-97D7-0B6B05707DB4.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 36
  • D7D0BF3E-CCE9-429C-8AA3-AF3A3C28F72E.jpeg
    D7D0BF3E-CCE9-429C-8AA3-AF3A3C28F72E.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 36

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I took the head off in preparation for fitting new softer valve springs.

DSC_0456.jpg

Forgot to take photos after that!
Interestingly plugs 1&2 looked a little lean and 5&6 looked a little rich. So work to do on balancing the throttles when I put it together again, although I also found the trumpets on the throttle bodies are about 1cm longer that those I had on the carbs, which gets them quite close to the airbox so maybe I'll put the Dellorto ones back on when I reassemble.

DSC_0457.jpg

Chappers

Club Member
The Jag and the Boxster will be going in soon.
The barn is the same length behind where I took the first photo from. The remains of my 2 280zx breakers are in the other end along with the leftover materials from the house extension 5 years ago.
Exactly where the 280Z is in the photo is where my 2 post lift is going.