Uk datsun 240z good buy or no?

Jordan 240z

Forum User
Hey guys,

new to the forum forgive me if this is the wrong place.
So I'm looking for a datsun 240z to start the dream been looking for a while as i want a RHD and came across this today

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1198989

I know uk cars are more expensive to buy but looking at the rust on this one is this a good price.

Now let me say I am not slating the seller or anything like that I am honestly asking a question because i am curious as there is LHD 240z from cali that are in the same condition and go for couple thousand less.

so in all is this a decent price for the state of the car or is it a-bit high price ?

regards as i mention not meaning to be cheeky or anything !!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
After a quick look I'd say this is a £10k car. Just my opinion from the few pics and honest seller description.

Shame - I drove through Leek last Sunday.

There is a lot of work - can you do any?

Let's see what others say.

I'd say its high?

Floors-roof-body panels-rockers-cills-3/4's-rear slam panel/boot....... thats just what you can see.

So 10k over priced? Says a lot when he's taking off the old leda suspension as he sees a value in it.

Jordan 240z

Forum User
Yea i was thinking it to there is lhd cars going for 16 that look like they need little to none rust repair just missing bits.
on second look though in the description they have the replacement panels.

I have little experience in welding but the rest i can do im just lookin for a start.
The work needing done on this car how much do you guys think it would cost to do? As he has most the pannel so it would just paying for a competent welder

Yea i was thinking it to there is lhd cars going for 16 that look like they need little to none rust repair just missing bits.
on second look though in the description they have the replacement panels.

I have little experience in welding but the rest i can do im just lookin for a start.
The work needing done on this car how much do you guys think it would cost to do? As he has most the pannel so it would just paying for a competent welder

I'd look for another........ or buy some new trainers and run fast as you can away.

Rushingphil

Club Member
Pretty much as Rob, Johnymd and Franky have said. If you can't do the welding and fabrication work yourself then forget it. It will cost a fortune. More than the car will eventually be worth.

My advice as a fellow Newbie:

Spend a month or two reading as many of the build/restoration threads on here as you can - you'll soon learn how bad certain cars really can be and what is a achievable. I literally spent 100's of hours reading before I bought mine! And I still possibly paid too much (less than the asking price of the one your looking at though - see my build thread for details).

If you haven't already, buy Jon Newlyn's book : "The Essential Buyers's Guide - Datsun 240z" It's not 100% accurate but is a great starting point.

Be realistic with yourself regarding your skills; time available; space available (a stripped down car takes up a sh*t load of space!) and of course your budget!

As a case in point - I met up with a fellow member on here today. He recently went to see a guy who has been trying to restore his car for a few years now (UK RHD). He can't do any of the resto work himself so has had to outsource the work. He's already in over £20K and the car is nowhere near finished - there are plenty of people who are happy to fleece you so you can achieve your dream!

Sorry if this has come across as negative - but - don't get burnt!

All the best - and join the club!

Phil

SacCyclone

Club Member
If your patient you can find a nice, mostly rust free original panel Cali car for $15 or so.
Then, start looking for RHD bits to convert.
Just my thoughts.

Jordan 240z

Forum User
Thanks for the info guys i was looking at the LHD to convert but the conversion i have been told could be like 10k aswell

i will keep looking

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
A correctly converted solid LHD car will always be worth more than a patch repaired RHD car to me... and it will cost you less to do. No brainer.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think the body is the most important thing with these cars, then which side the driver sits, then all the interior trim, then the gearbox, then the engine and suspension are about equal IMO.

If your car has to be RHD then you are looking at £20k+ and take someone with you who knows these cars.

Jordan 240z

Forum User
Thanks for the info guys glad I joined this club. Think i may be onto a good car aswell because of this thread Al keep you uodated on my progress of you like?

thanks again

Jay.

Club Member
I think you might have been told that by someone with a rhd car to sell!

In his defence, I phoned Fourways Engineering and was quoted 8-10k labour plus parts for the conversion which seemed a bit expensive!

toopy

Club Member
So assuming a labour rate of around £85 + vat, which Ive heard quoted for 4ways, so lets say £100 an hr, 9k labour cost, that's 90hrs to complete the conversion.

Ive no idea if that's a reasonable estimate of the time involved, is it?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Why not try and establish what your budget is for a RHD car. I realise some of this may be from earnings over the next couple years.

Try to find one and if something 'comes up' that is within budget a genuinely sound and presentable why not take a loan.

That way you know the end product, no hassle of bodyshop timesclaes and you can enjoy it straight away.

I saw this at a recent auction, think the reserve was about £25k. That's better than a £15k car and £10k of work IMO.

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/1980-datsun-260z

Last edited:

Bazzateer

Club Member
So assuming a labour rate of around £85 + vat, which Ive heard quoted for 4ways, so lets say £100 an hr, 9k labour cost, that's 90hrs to complete the conversion.

Ive no idea if that's a reasonable estimate of the time involved, is it?
2 guys working for a week? Doesn't seem excessive to me.