Import Taxes

rich

Well-Known Forum User
Is there ways around it ?. It's just that I have family in Oz and they can pay and post it for me and I just pay them sterling when they visit, or do I just buy it and pay it ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Depends also how much they declare on the custom's value form, whether it needs to be insured and therefore true value stated.....and if you're a reguler importer 'cos they tab us these days !

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Import tax is based on the cost of the item and cost of postage and Australian postage is expensive so more import duty to pay.

rich

Well-Known Forum User
reason I ask is if my brother inlaw purchased say a set of wheel arch's but then posted them to me as a gift, would I still need to pay ?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Not sure about that as there is always a customs declaration to fill out.
Best thing is to mark it down as 20 dollars .
We have had a couple of items from OZ for the kids and they were marked gift and we did not have any import duty but they were low value anyway.
Get some Caramel Tim Tams as well, they are fantastic !!

Huw

Club Member
Imports charges from the EU are almost as bad as the US. Two £7 bearings and a gasket, bought from Rockauto arrived today. But as they were shipped from Germany the tax and import charge was £23! More than the cost of the items.......

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Not sure about that as there is always a customs declaration to fill out.
Best thing is to mark it down as 20 dollars .
We have had a couple of items from OZ for the kids and they were marked gift and we did not have any import duty but they were low value anyway.
Get some Caramel Tim Tams as well, they are fantastic !!

Sadly doesn’t always work.

I had a call from a customs office of sorts about my RHDJapan delivery that was marked for the cheapest item. They had opened the package and decided the fluid damper was worth a lot more than the bolt. So they asked me to provide a copy of the sales receipt and proper taxes before releasing it!!!

Imports charges from the EU are almost as bad as the US. Two £7 bearings and a gasket, bought from Rockauto arrived today. But as they were shipped from Germany the tax and import charge was £23! More than the cost of the items.......

Really? Is that a post Brexit thing? I have bought quite a few bits from Germany to date and not had that - maybe I got lucky? [emoji848]

Rushingphil

Club Member

Aye, strange. Shouldn't need to pay tax and import duty from Germany. I guess the German Hub pay when they are imported from USA into Germany, so then pass that on to the customer?

Huw

Club Member
Im guessing it because we are not in the EU any more. States on the back of the Parcelfarce notice ‘No taxes and import duty for items transported inside the EU.’

Rushingphil

Club Member
Im guessing it because we are not in the EU any more. States on the back of the Parcelfarce notice ‘No taxes and import duty for items transported inside the EU.’

That doesn't sound right either. We may not be part of the EU anymore, but our trading conditions won't change until the end of the year. I'd be questioning it if I were you.