No petrol, diesel or hybrid cars to be sold from 2035

tel240z

Club Member
Well here's my two penny's worth ....i have a Nissan env200 full electric van £2.50 for a hundred miles free when i plug in at work, as for the price hike in electricity you may be thinking how can they do that it will cost more to cook your chips and boil the kettle, BUT why do think they got us to fit smart meters ? there clever they can see what your doing from putting the tumble dryer or to charging your car it will sus out a big current draw that tapers off over 4 hours or so, oh and then there's the situation on the big oil producing countries will Dubai close

Bazzateer

Club Member
I've never understood why Hydrogen fuel type vehicles were not developed more, it sounds like the obvious choice!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_internal_combustion_engine_vehicle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell_vehicle
I don't think it's the vehicle technology that's holding them back, there's no infrastructure in place. We need fuel stations to be able to sell the stuff. It's a bit chicken and egg I suppose, they'll build the infrastructure when there's a demand but the demand won't come unless the infrastructure is in place. Electrickery is everywhere, so that's an easy (cheaper) option.

toopy

Club Member
I don't think it's the vehicle technology that's holding them back, there's no infrastructure in place. We need fuel stations to be able to sell the stuff. It's a bit chicken and egg I suppose, they'll build the infrastructure when there's a demand but the demand won't come unless the infrastructure is in place. Electrickery is everywhere, so that's an easy (cheaper) option.

But this is the planet were talking about, we might have enough electricity now, but as everyone knows we need a whole lot more, battery production is polluting, getting rid of old ones is a nightmare.... i don't get it!

yellowz

Club Member
Classic electric cars are now available for us. They may not be the retro way to go but if your classic engine has problems now is the time to change.
https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

Its got to be a growing market, hopefully it will go the way of solar panels getting cheaper as time goes on. At these prices it's more than the cars cost!

What are the typical costs of a conversions?
Cost can vary quite a bit depending on the customer’s requirements for range and power, as well as the make and model of car. A small car with sub 100 mile range might cost as little as £20k for us to convert, whereas a large 4x4 with 200 mile range might cost as much as £60k

richiep

Club Member
The whole electric classic cars thing totally undermines one of the key joys of these cars though (at least in my view) - the engine. An S30 without an L6 (or the popular swap options for that matter, RB, JZ, etc) just seems wrong. I'd argue a sparingly used, original engined classic has a much tinier ecological footprint than it would once thousands had been spaffed on a full electric conversion, with all the associated impacts like manufacturing batteries, etc.

The idea of an S30Z silently wafting down the road, no roar of an L6 with a hot cam and triples blasting through a twin exhaust... no thanks. I'll hang on to the joy of dinosaur motoring on summer weekends until the bitter end.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This is interesting but loses it's point if legislation is introduced as intended:

Bazzateer

Club Member
A nice balanced view in that video. If the legislation does come in I'll probably snap up one of the last proper engined cars in the inevitable fire sale and keep it until I stop driving.