Insurance

Matt Berry

Club Member
Need to insure my car for the 1st time so I can register it. Are there any companies that people would recommend? With regards to valuation of the car how do you come to a value? Any help appreciated. Cheers!

Garaculas

Club Member
I’ve been with Adrian Flux for many years on modified car policies and now on a classic policy with my Z. Always sensible prices, easy to deal with and good customer service.

Last year i paid £180 and had my auto renewal through email the other day saying it had gone down to £150 for next year so even better.

datsfun

Club Member
Need to insure my car for the 1st time so I can register it. Are there any companies that people would recommend? With regards to valuation of the car how do you come to a value? Any help appreciated. Cheers!

You dont need to have the car insured to obtain the UK registration from DVLA

Matt Berry

Club Member
I’ve been with Adrian Flux for many years on modified car policies and now on a classic policy with my Z. Always sensible prices, easy to deal with and good customer service.

Last year i paid £180 and had my auto renewal through email the other day saying it had gone down to £150 for next year so even better.
That’s 2 for Adrian flux so far!

datsfun

Club Member
I did think this but just spoke with the DVLA and they sent me email with everything required and one of those things was a insurance certificate

Look up the V55/5 form. I didnt have to supply insurance details when I registered a car in the autumn last year.

Matt Berry

Club Member
Look up the V55/5 form. I didnt have to supply insurance details when I registered a car in the autumn last year.
I’ve filled in the v55 but just wanted to check what else I needed to send, so gave them a call and they sent me a email with what I needed to send with it

datsfun

Club Member
I’ve filled in the v55 but just wanted to check what else I needed to send, so gave them a call and they sent me a email with what I needed to send with it

IIRC
- old log book
- cheque
- copy of your driver licence

That's it. Did the job for me.

Perhaps you can wait for input from our experts on here who import and register cars on a more frequent basis

Bazzateer

Club Member
I'm with Peter James Insurance, cost me 75 quid to add my 260Z to my existing classic policy with 4 other cars already on it.
You can self declare the value up to 15k I think. Over that you need to have an expert valuation. Once I've got the car I'll be getting a valuation from the chap on here.

Last edited:

Wally

Club Member
I've just registered mine and no insurance was required. Only a cheque, original registration document, proof of address and proof of name.

Matt Berry

Club Member
I've just registered mine and no insurance was required. Only a cheque, original registration document, proof of address and proof of name.
I’ll submit it without insurance then. Did they return your original title document?

Matt Berry

Club Member
I'm with Peter James Insurance, cost me 75 quid to add my 260Z to my existing classic policy with 4 other cars already on it.
You can self declare the value up to 15k I think. Over that you need to have an expert valuation. Once I've got the car I'll be getting a valuation from the chap on here.
Didn’t realise there was someone on here that did valuations, what’s the process to get a valuation from said member?

Wally

Club Member
I’ll submit it without insurance then. Did they return your original title document?

Unfortunately not. I scanned it and created a digital copy for my records. Not sure if it helped but when I submitted my v55 I included photos of all plates, vin and engine number. My car wasn't selected for inspection.

Matt Berry

Club Member
Unfortunately not. I scanned it and created a digital copy for my records. Not sure if it helped but when I submitted my v55 I included photos of all plates, vin and engine number. My car wasn't selected for inspection.
Good idea, I might do the same

Garaculas

Club Member
Just to add i did the same as you. I insured mine with Flux through the VIN before i had my registration completed and then rang them up to update and add the plate to the policy once it arrived in the post.

uk66fastback

Club Member
You NEVER get the US title back from DVLA - never.I've done many cars down the years and they don't send them back, so worth taking a colour copy or a scan.

johnymd

Club Member
I have ALLWAYS got the US title back from the DVLA. Not sure why but they send the docs back to me a few days after getting the v5c and I have registered over 10 cars in the last 3 years. Also I've not sent insurance docs for the last 5 or so since they changed the requirements. On the v55 form it clearly say that insurance is only required for NI.