Radiator replacement options for 240z with L28 block?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi all,

I'm considering replacing my radiator. It has leaked previously which I fixed with Radweld, but think I need to do a more permanent fix. Not quite sure what to replace it with. Welcome any ideas / thoughts?

Broadly speaking, I am happy with a straight replacement. I've no intentions to modify the 2.8L engine.

Also, anyone know of a source in the UK for a replacement? I have also considered getting it reconditioned, but suspect that may cost as much as a new radiator.

Thanks, Graeme

IMG_4150.jpeg

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Whatever you choose it worth knowing that the late 260z / 280z is a larger / taller radiator with added capacity. Not sure how they fit in a 240z but I guess with a bit of fettling they will. The later front panel / crossmember was modified to take the bigger rad.
If you want an original bigger radiator drop me a PM.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Whatever you choose it worth knowing that the late 260z / 280z is a larger / taller radiator with added capacity. Not sure how they fit in a 240z but I guess with a bit of fettling they will. The later front panel / crossmember was modified to take the bigger rad.
If you want an original bigger radiator drop me a PM.

Sounds like i need to do a bit of research. Will PM you.

toopy

Club Member
I believe a later Rad will fit in a 240z, just it will hang lower at the bottom as its obviously taller, and in any case some of that extra capacity will be covered by the cross member, so achieves little with respect extra cooling.

240L31

Club Member
I got a Mishimoto 240Z radiator, it is a perfect fit. Brought down my coolant temperature from a constant 3/4 reading to always below 1/2.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I've got an ali one on my 240 I am replacing and will need shot of. I don't think it's very old either - came across in the car when I imported it. I'm replacing it with a recored original Saccy sent me.

SacCyclone

Club Member
The Z store is what I was going to suggest.....in Cali we like to use the 3 row for extra capacity and cooling as the 100F days are brutal in traffic.
Mike

Farmer42

Club Member
The rad for a 240z has a different outlet pipe at the bottom than the 260z. The 240z pipe curves upwards with a different shape hose whereas the 260z is straight.

I got mine for a 240z off Ebay and it has been fine. The only thing you need to look out for is that on some of the cheaper ones the outlet pipe is welded using several small sections to make the curve. The hos will not seal very well and the welds aren't great. Try to get one with a smooth curved pipe. The Mishimotos are pricey but good quality.

If you decide to recore your original then make sure you get the top and bottom tanks checked thoroughly. I went to recore mine but had several pinholes in each tank. Apparently the coolant rots them from the inside.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The Z store is what I was going to suggest.....in Cali we like to use the 3 row for extra capacity and cooling as the 100F days are brutal in traffic.
Mike

That’s good to hear! Do you know of the dimensions are the same or is the 3 core slightly fatter (i.e. closer to the fan)?

SacCyclone

Club Member
That’s good to hear! Do you know of the dimensions are the same or is the 3 core slightly fatter (i.e. closer to the fan)?
Yes, they are fatter with the extra row but should not interfere with the factory fan clutch assembly as it is probably no more than an inch or so.
Mike

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Where did you source the metal inlet pipe for the air filter? Ive got a 90 degree piece for the front part but not the longer section yet.

Chopped up from a Honda CRX induction kit off of eBay which I believe is now discontinued based on conversation I've since had.