Left hand to right hand drive conversion

Zed-the-red

Well-Known Forum User
Sunroof or no sunroof most English Z's are fooked, stars & strips all the way for us lot that have been involved in the marque for in excess of 20 years I'm affraid my friend :thumbs: Ask anyone who has driven an import it is a totally different experience because the cars & chassis are straight & unmolested by bodgers :eek: :cool:

Short sighted opinion. I have been involved for the last 30 years plus in the restoration of all marques of classic cars. I have restored them properly and never bodged. If you have 60% of a rusty UK 240Z then its not difficult to restore it. I have been doing mine now for about 18 months and have not come across one item that was beyond my capabilities. The best thing you can do is buy a crap 240z from the states and chop the bugger up and use all the parts on your UK 240Z. That way you will keep a UK car on the road, and keep the restoration cost down. You can sell the LH Drive bits to those that prefer their steering wheel to be on the Left.
It makes my skin crawl to see a 'joke' 240Z .. It wears the Union jack.. but pull up it's skirts and its still flaunting it's Stars and Stripes knickers.:D

rahail240

Well-Known Forum User
Short sighted opinion. it makes my skin crawl to see a 'joke' 240Z .. It wears the Union jack.. but pull up it's skirts and its still flaunting it's Stars and Stripes knickers.:D

oh dear who's short sighted now.

you talking like they are two different shape,model and size cars.
i've looked at my mint straight joke 240z in my garage and the only thing i'm laughing at is your comment.

get real kid. ask 99% what they would prefer. a straight never been molested solid shell, or a honest uk car which has seen more heavy metal than our kid at the donnington festivals!! ;)

michel

New Forum User
Why not sourcing a LHD car from the European continent (we drive on the right side of the road there)
You will have a donnor car with exactly the same spec than the UK one.

bigh

Club Member
Short sighted opinion. I have been involved for the last 30 years plus in the restoration of all marques of classic cars. I have restored them properly and never bodged. If you have 60% of a rusty UK 240Z then its not difficult to restore it. I have been doing mine now for about 18 months and have not come across one item that was beyond my capabilities. The best thing you can do is buy a crap 240z from the states and chop the bugger up and use all the parts on your UK 240Z. That way you will keep a UK car on the road, and keep the restoration cost down. You can sell the LH Drive bits to those that prefer their steering wheel to be on the Left.
It makes my skin crawl to see a 'joke' 240Z .. It wears the Union jack.. but pull up it's skirts and its still flaunting it's Stars and Stripes knickers.:D

Any 'build threads' on the work involved?

Robbie J

Club Member
Thing is, all these cars are made in Japan, you can get rot boxes from the US as well but there is a good chance that a UK car will be hiding rust or bad old repair. If you can get a good US car you can convert it, sourcing bits is not easy

Last edited:

Rushingphil

Club Member
Thing is, all these cars are made in Japan, you can get rot boxes from the US as well but there is a good chance that a UK car will be hiding rust or bad old repair. If you can get a good US car you can convert it, sourcing bits is not easy

From what I've read in a lot of threads, USA cars often hide a lot of dodgy repairs behind 'good' paintwork.

Robbie J

Club Member
SacCyclone on here is the person who can source a car in the US for you, I've met him, he exists. Never get a workmate who thinks he knows cars to look at one for you! For my second attempt, I found a seller that sent pictures of exactly the areas of what was wrong with the first car. The second car is good required rear dogleg and inner arch as it had trapped water once, that's it, likely a little lucky the second time around

bigh

Club Member
SacCyclone on here is the person who can source a car in the US for you, I've met him, he exists. Never get a workmate who thinks he knows cars to look at one for you! For my second attempt, I found a seller that sent pictures of exactly the areas of what was wrong with the first car. The second car is good required rear dogleg and inner arch as it had trapped water once, that's it, likely a little lucky the second time around

Thanks I have contacted Mike