Fuel rail

jimyj

Club Member
So help me out , is this fuel pipe rail factory or not , it joins the carbs , from looking at others on the net the pipes go into the air cleaner and not onto a connecting pipe , anyone know which is correct . The chrome tube attached to the intake .
Car has always ran fine .

Attachments

• 20200113_165957.jpg
    20200113_165957.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 48

Farmer42

Club Member
It looks like a factory fuel rail to me. The 2 ends sticking out towards the carbs should be the inlet pipes and you should have a second fuel pipe from the top of each float chamber that goes into the back of the air filter box. The inlet feed for each car should be via a banjo joint at the side of the float chamber.

toopy

Club Member
Are you talking about the smaller diameter chrome pipe that seems to join the two carbs?

If so, its not factory, and the flexible hose from each carb overflow should go to the air filter backplate/housing, you can see the two small pipe stubs sticking upwards in your pic. The big pipe stub in the middle is for the pipe from the cam cover breather, but you have a filter on that, so it is now redundant. I would of thought it should be blocked off though, as it could be sucking in dirty air, bypassing the filter!

toopy

Club Member
Doesn't that mean the overflows are just connected together?

That's exactly what it looks like to me, never seen anyone do that before.

It means there's no vent for any fumes within the bowl which also means they could become pressurised to some degree, plus any excess fuel goes straight into the other fuel bowl along with any trapped air/fumes..... that would be an interesting situation to see unfold!

jimyj

Club Member
As above has mentioned , this is some one previous to myself , the car has been running fine , it was only when i was putting it all back together ,and thought that cant be correct .
Not sure who assembled it like that , cant believe i have only just spotted it . Had the thing fair few years now and no one else or me spotted this odd pipe .
Gonna route them into the air cleaner as it should be and bin the pipe , be interesting to see if it drives any different .

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm guessing that the PO has run the car without the airfilter box at some time.

My suggestion would be to return it to standard i.e. connect the 3 pipes to the airbox.