Fairlady Z 432-R up for auction in Tokyo

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Considering the estimated price, no doubt he/she will but will it see the light of day or remain as most mega-expensive classics....merely an 'appreciating asset' and kept under lock and key ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
A genuine 432-R is coming up for auction in Japan. BH Auctions are timing the auction to coincide with people being in town for Tokyo Auto Salon in January 2020.

This car is chassis number PS30-00289, built in 1970. It's not totally original, but most of the R-specific parts are present and it is a genuine example of the type.

Auction estimate is "73,000,000 to 83,000,000 JPY". That's roughly 525,000 to 600,000 GBP at current exchange rates.

View attachment 35734

https://bhauction.com/en/auction/tokyo-terrada-january/lots/432-r

The auction took place today, and I believe the 432-R - Lot No.16 in the BH Auction - was sold with a hammer price of 80,500,000 JPY.

At today's exchange rate of around 143 JPY to 1 GBP, that's approximately 562,937 GBP. Let's round it up to 563,000 GBP.

The auction took place today, and I believe the 432-R - Lot No.16 in the BH Auction - was sold with a hammer price of 80,500,000 JPY.

At today's exchange rate of around 143 JPY to 1 GBP, that's approximately 562,937 GBP. Let's round it up to 563,000 GBP.

nice to see a strong price, thought it may guy have gone a little higher? Is it staying in the country?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
nice to see a strong price, thought it may guy have gone a little higher? Is it staying in the country?

No idea at this stage who has bought it or where they are located. Reportedly went to a telephone bidder, so could well be outside Japan.

datsfun

Club Member
I was expecting it to hit bigger numbers if I am honest. Given the rarity of the R and benchmarking it against the stratos which sold for same kind of money.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
£600k with fees?

I don't know what BH Auction's fee structure is. You would expect a Buyers Premium and possibly some admin fees, but on an admittedly quick scout around their website I didn't see any mention of it.

datsfun

Club Member
BH Auctions have updated their website to include the prices of lots sold, and they are giving an official figure of 88,500,000 JPY for the 432-R:

https://bhauction.com/en/auction/tokyo-terrada-january/lots/432-r

So - getting the calculator out again - that's close to 619,000 GBP.

Even at £600k, it's far less that what Toyota 2000GT's fetch. Any idea why ? Is it because the market perception is that 432R is just a very rare version of a 240z whereas the Toyota does not have sub variants :conf2:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Even at £600k, it's far less that what Toyota 2000GT's fetch. Any idea why ? Is it because the market perception is that 432R is just a very rare version of a 240z whereas the Toyota does not have sub variants :conf2:

I've said before that the 432 and - even more so - the 432-R have a problem in that they are perceived by laymen and enthusiasts alike as 'looking like' more common variants of the S30-series range. In other marque/model worlds where enough people know their onions this should not be too much of a problem - for example classic Porsche fans would probably (hopefully...) be able to tell the difference between a 911E and a 911R - but with so much curation of the Z story being biased towards the '240Z' and the USA - what we end up with is under-appreciation.

A Toyota 2000GT - in contrast - looks like a Toyota 2000GT, and if anyone buys one and shows it to their family and friends they will probably get a positive reaction because it is a beautiful thing. The 432-R on the other hand hides how special it is, and it was created to do a different job to the Toyota 2000GT. The beauty of the 432-R is in its dedication to purpose.