Front Speaker Panel Kit, 70-73 240Z

Robbie J

Club Member
Yes I do have access to a very good 3D printer (and 3D scanner soon for accurate parts recreations) for my business. Its industrial hardware basically but desktop sized, although I do have access to larger machines for bigger parts. Base material is Nylon with chopped carbon, but as I said can add continuous carbon fibre/ Kevlar or fibreglass for reinforcement. Makes very strong parts if required. Someone is using 3D printed lifting chain links in this material to lift 16 tonne agricultural machines! Not needed for every part obviously but structural parts can also be printed with enough thought.

If you can model the parts and send them over to me I can provide prices if you'd like? (I can model them if required for a minimal fee)

OK I will dig out the software, I use to work for Autodesk but deal with Solidworks today. I will get modelling then :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So, Ryan - do you pysically need the parts or will Robbies models do just as well if not better ?

strugrat

Club Member
So, Ryan - do you pysically need the parts or will Robbies models do just as well if not better ?

Just the models will be fine if Robbie is prepared to model them. If you can export an STL file from the CAD software then I can do the rest, provide printing prices etc (I am using Autodesk software)

Max size though for the bigger machines is 330mm x 270mm x 200mm for single piece in Nylon/Chopped Carbon with Fibre Reinforcement. Any bigger is still possible but it will have to be an assembly with these materials.

Normal 3D printer materials ABS etc then the parts can be as big as you'd like!

strugrat

Club Member
if it helps, I’d have one also

I can print one no problem. I'll need dimensions though or a broken one to go from and create the model. Otherwise its just guess work.

I've got the later sliding one so I cant use to mine this time.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Is cheap 3D printing up to a standard where finished parts are of OEM/acceptable , quality/finish?

strugrat

Club Member
Is cheap 3D printing up to a standard where finished parts are of OEM/acceptable , quality/finish?

The quality of the prints off the bed is pretty good. Much better than the cheap consumer level 3D printers. A lot of people are making end use parts with no post processing.

If the finish isn't as good as you wanted then there are post processing techniques available that will give the same finish as an injection moulded part. But as always they add additional cost.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
The quality of the prints off the bed is pretty good. Much better than the cheap consumer level 3D printers. A lot of people are making end use parts with no post processing.

If the finish isn't as good as you wanted then there are post processing techniques available that will give the same finish as an injection moulded part. But as always they add additional cost.
I get the occasional parts made at Protolabs with their various additive processes but never really use them for anything other than demos. Would be great if we could get good quality, robust parts printed for a decent price.

atomman

Club Member
I 3D printed my map light cover as I didn't have one , as said above quality is pretty good now and there are so many different types to choose from,

I did have a model for an early ashtray lid I will see if i can dig it out ,

Shapeways is pretty good for small stuff , you can upload STL's and get a cost etc or printed in various stuff and posted to your door if you don't have access to a printer ,

I've been messing around with the ones in work when I get chance , designed a light saber as i'm a bit of a Starwars fan , the bottom part , with some plastic & titanium printed bits and also some machined bits

DSC_2482.JPG

Last edited:

strugrat

Club Member
[QUOTE=" Would be great if we could get good quality, robust parts printed for a decent price.[/QUOTE]

That's the plan for my business. Starting with Z's and then who knows.

Robbie J

Club Member
I shipped the panels yesterday and I was away for a whole day from the forum... I can model parts but the car is 80miles away... I did the modelling bit for a living but that's 15 years ago I can still do it and now there is interest I will. That said the best way is to scan parts then redraw over the to make native parts in design app.

it would be great if we could host the data files on the forum and them people can print when they need it. Every other year 3D printing gets better!

strugrat

Club Member
I shipped the panels yesterday and I was away for a whole day from the forum... I can model parts but the car is 80miles away... I did the modelling bit for a living but that's 15 years ago I can still do it and now there is interest I will. That said the best way is to scan parts then redraw over the to make native parts in design app.

it would be great if we could host the data files on the forum and them people can print when they need it. Every other year 3D printing gets better!

Ok, no hurry. I can model the parts if needed. Just let me know.