Nissan s14 200sx FS5W71C gearbox

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jason, think long and hard before you sell those gearboxes. They are a huge improvement over the old gearboxes.

I know I like 'period' stuff but having had 3 cars with S14 boxes (still got 2) I would never go back to the old boxes.

Jason, think long and hard before you sell those gearboxes. They are a huge improvement over the old gearboxes.

I know I like 'period' stuff but having had 3 cars with S14 boxes (still got 2) I would never go back to the old boxes.

Hi Rob, I have thought long and hard, I've a few s14 boxes, the gearbox i'm going with is very very good and a known quantity, its the ideal situation for me as it won't feel quite like a modern box but still a great unit. To be blunt, I also need to free up some cash from things i've got sat about to free up some cash.

richiep

Club Member
Side issue - something that occurs to me is that the 71C boxes get referred to as “modern” quite often but they really aren’t. The most recent ones come from a car discontinued in 2002 (S14a); the S13 versions could be as old as 1989. The 84-89 S12 also had a 71C. hence them becoming difficult to find, especially as the drift brigade used to see them as disposable as if an endless supply existed!

Yes, they are improved over the Z boxes and have a nicer shift (and the option to use a short shifter easily and cheaply) but I don’t think they really modernise the car or seem out of step.

Side issue - something that occurs to me is that the 71C boxes get referred to as “modern” quite often but they really aren’t. The most recent ones come from a car discontinued in 2002 (S14a); the S13 versions could be as old as 1989. The 84-89 S12 also had a 71C. hence them becoming difficult to find, especially as the drift brigade used to see them as disposable as if an endless supply existed!

Yes, they are improved over the Z boxes and have a nicer shift (and the option to use a short shifter easily and cheaply) but I don’t think they really modernise the car or seem out of step.

These have been sat in my garage for nearly 7 years!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Most of us underestimate timescales. Be warned, as you get older it's even more important - if I bought a gbox now and kept it for 7 years I'd be 74!!!

I'm being serious - I've had 23 years of Z driving (including 10 on race-tracks).

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

I had an S12 gearbox since 2006 and have now fitted an S13, both had the standard shifter and not the quick-shift therefore retaining the 'old' feel (so I know where Jason is coming from) but with all the confidence to use the gears without fear of a synchro failure or resistance.

Best upgrade to a Z whether stock or modified.

richiep

Club Member
I agree Sean. I’d recommend it to anyone. Probably my favourite practical mod on the red Z. I’ve got the S14a box in that car, an S14 box ready for Dixie, and an S13 as a spare.

It is in keeping with the car’s lineage too, being the next gen box in that series and being so similar overall to the 71Bs.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I like my cars to be pretty stock (now) but being new to this (only owned mine for four years and not really turned a wheel in anger), I'm getting mildly interested in the idea of an upgrade to a five-speed.

So the S12 and S13 will both fit (mine is a US four-speed box) ... what else do I need? Just the bellhousing?

Last edited:

Huw

Club Member
I like my cars to be pretty stock (now) but being knew to this (only owned mine for four years and not really turned a wheel in anger), I'm getting mildly interested in the idea of an upgrade to a five-speed.

So the S12 and S13 will both fit (mine is a US four-speed box) ... what else do I need? Just the bellhousing?

This article pretty much covers all you need to do.

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

johnymd

Club Member
I had the s13/14 box in my silver car for some time now and covered quite a few mile. Even now it still amazes me just how good it shifts compared to standard 240z (280zx box), MX5 and 2006 boxster that I drive regularly. It has a short shifter fitted.

richiep

Club Member
I like my cars to be pretty stock (now) but being new to this (only owned mine for four years and not really turned a wheel in anger), I'm getting mildly interested in the idea of an upgrade to a five-speed.

S12s are difficult to find. Ones from S13 and S14/14a 200SXs are the most numerous.

The zhome article pretty much covers it. The only thin I’d add would be there are alternative ways to do the crossmember mod on the earlier cars with the two piece crossmember. Namely, cutting the top piece into three, offsetting the middle the correct amount and reinforcing it with triangular filets.