Gearbox

Robbie J

Club Member
my first car was a Morris minor with drum brakes all round, if you didn't change down you wouldn't stop in time

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The thing is, engines then DID slow you down with a lower gear-change - they're too 'linear' now...and brakes are better these days too.

johnymd

Club Member
I like to go down the gears and select the correct gear for the speed I'm in for when I need to accelerate. Its how I've always driven but I'm always open to suggestions so I can drive better.

I talk to lots of drivers and mechanics at race tracks as I love learning new things and listening to ideas from others. I've have heard a number of people talk about always using your brakes to slow down rather than the drivetrain as brakes are much cheaper to replace. I take this onboard but personally I think a combination of both is the way I will go but with mechanical sympathy in mind I'll try not to shock load the drivetrain.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I like to go down the gears and select the correct gear for the speed I'm in for when I need to accelerate. I think a combination of both is the way I will go but with mechanical sympathy in mind I'll try not to shock load the drivetrain.
Not just the drivetrain but the engine components....you're (and I'm addressing at the collective 'you' here - nothing personal) arriving at a bend on a circuit at 6500rpm in 3rd and you want to accelerate hard out of it in second.

Do you whack it into second at max revs and allow it to slow you down ? What damage whether instant or long-term do you think this practive will entail ?

Be warned - a shift light works well on the way up but only you control the way down again.

Anyone driving like this should fit a cut-out and I've known several people who didn't and have destroyed their engines.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Think we are talking general road driving not boy racer stuff here boyo and jon does it the same as me,The correct way

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Think we are talking general road driving not boy racer stuff here boyo

Papa-pushing then...I guess that's all about you can do over with your crowded, pot-holed roads.

Do you drive as slow in your Scooby ? To protect its' value ?

toopy

Club Member
I take this onboard but personally I think a combination of both is the way I will go but with mechanical sympathy in mind I'll try not to shock load the drivetrain.

Completely agree, that's what i was trying to get across but that says it better, and as Status said, were talking about general fast road driving not high rev track stuff :)

status

Well-Known Forum User
It’s that French boy racer bloke that pops on here from time to time he thinks we want to go fast all the time

MCBladeRun

Club Member
After reading the comments, I think we can agree that it's okay to use the gears to slow down in most cases.

The exception being Sean's scenario where you throw caution to the wind (I'm assuming it wouldn't be his own Z?)

Unless you're totally confident that your Z can withstand that kind of stress placed on it, it's probably more economical to be cautious?