Registering an import that's non-roadworthy

Wally

Club Member
I've Googled the hell out of this over the weekend and I'm sure it's going to involve a phone call to the dvla. Can you register an imported project car that's not currently non-roadworthy? And probably won't be for the next year or so.

The car has been declared via NOVA and had the tax paid. I've looked at the guidance for the v55/5 which requires you to have a valid mot and insurance for the vehicle to be able to register it which you would have neither seeing as it's a project and requires restoring.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makesy

Club Member
You can register it and then immediately sorn it once you receive your documents. In one of my early threads, johnymd covered the registration form in a good level of detail. I'll find you the link shortly

Wally

Club Member
You can register it and then immediately sorn it once you receive your documents. In one of my early threads, johnymd covered the registration form in a good level of detail. I'll find you the link shortly

Managed to find it. That’s helped out a lot thank you to you and Johnymd

Last edited:

Makesy

Club Member
A couple of the sections were misaligned with the numbers, but it covers most of the requirements.

The rest can be left blank.

I would mark it as LHD and then advise when you convert it, on the off chance someone comes to inspect it before issuing your V5.

Wally

Club Member
A couple of the sections were misaligned with the numbers, but it covers most of the requirements.

The rest can be left blank.

I would mark it as LHD and then advise when you convert it, on the off chance someone comes to inspect it before issuing your V5.

Perfect. Thank you very much for your help.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Apparently, all cars are inspected now (so the bloke told me who did mine). I did leave it about three years before I got mine done though ...

Don't SORN it, just tax it once you have the reg. What difference does it make?

Wally

Club Member
Apparently, all cars are inspected now (so the bloke told me who did mine). I did leave it about three years before I got mine done though ...

Don't SORN it, just tax it once you have the reg. What difference does it make?

So there isn't a timescale on when you have to register the vehicle once it's in country, only before you want to use it?

In theory I could convert mine, get it fully restored and built up over the next year or two then register it as rhd?

uk66fastback

Club Member
There's no time limit as far as I know. I imported mine in July 2015 and registered it last year. If it was changed from LHD to RHD I don't know whether that would come under the modified bit though (and therefore not tax exempt) - I wouldn't think so, as there are RHD S30s obviously.

Wally

Club Member
There's no time limit as far as I know. I imported mine in July 2015 and registered it last year. If it was changed from LHD to RHD I don't know whether that would come under the modified bit though (and therefore not tax exempt) - I wouldn't think so, as there are RHD S30s obviously.

That's good to know. I was looking at getting it registered before I started stripping the car down incase they wanted to inspect it. I think I'll just get cracking on with the restoration and register it after I put it through an mot as a sanity check for my work.

johnymd

Club Member
Things have changed a bit since I last spoke about the v55 forms but not a lot. You no longer need MOT or insurance. You can register a car but it has to have all its major parts on it. I've had a car inspected and the guy was only interested in seeing the vin number. The car was clearly not usable but was mostly assembled. I've also registered rolling shells but they were not inspected so I'm not sure what would happen if they inspected a car with no running gear or interior. I'd give it a try.

Wally

Club Member
Things have changed a bit since I last spoke about the v55 forms but not a lot. You no longer need MOT or insurance. You can register a car but it has to have all its major parts on it. I've had a car inspected and the guy was only interested in seeing the vin number. The car was clearly not usable but was mostly assembled. I've also registered rolling shells but they were not inspected so I'm not sure what would happen if they inspected a car with no running gear or interior. I'd give it a try.

Cheers johnymd. I'm in two minds with what to do. Register now or wait until it's roadworthy. It's going to sit in a shed for the next year so I'm in no rush to register it if there isn't a time time which I had assumed there would be. How many cars got inspected out of the ones you have registered?

I’ve just filled in the v55/5 sent a cheque for £55 and the USA title doc, let’s see what they say. An inspection should be fun, the bare shell with a few bits and engine next to it!

Fairlineguy

Club Member
I’ve registered two cars this year .
My 24oz which had correct USA papers and nova got inspected which delayed registering by 3 weeks.
I also registered another historic classic vehicle that wasn’t on the dvla data base .
I sent in a dating letter from the club and photos from them stating that they had inspected it .dvla sent out age related plate without inspecting.
The inspector recommend sending in full set of photos inc chassis plate with any future applications.

I’ve just filled in the v55/5 sent a cheque for £55 and the USA title doc, let’s see what they say. An inspection should be fun, the bare shell with a few bits and engine next to it!

so 23rd today, 9 working days they've had the form, still nothing. I'l bet 50p on it being another 10 working days?