What did you do to your Z this week?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Been kitting the workshop. Taking a little longer than I hoped, but getting there slowly, but surely!

Lift going in today. Degrease Tank in, Sand Blaster delivered and ready to connect up. Vapour blaster and compressors next and then building a plating station. Progressed a little further on plating, not perfect yet, learning where pitfalls are, mainly in the preparation and accurate amps etc, my conclusion so far.

A slight distraction, installing underfloor heating throughout and tiling the the house.. It's the last major job on a long project, Once done I'm FREE!.. :)

View attachment 35019

View attachment 35020
Going to try out the blaster and HVLP sprayer on my W800 stand

View attachment 35021
Engine waiting for me to do some plating of cam cover bolts

View attachment 35023

Still see some pitting. Trying out multiple thick plates with sanding in between. Seems to be the way to go on badly pitted items

View attachment 35024

Only Z related cus once done I'm free to play haha :)

Safe to say I completely hate you and your new workshop facilities, this looks incredible and like my dreams!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hang on, who took the photo?!

I have a nice camera and tripod, they both come in rather Handy ;)

How the heck do you keep the car so clean on a road trip like that!

You flatter me but really... :blush: I clayed and polished the car once before we left (which was long overdue) and have only cleaned it once in Switzerland so far. The photos don't show the true dirt on the car, this really is a drivers car and not a show car. I've had a lot of comments recently about how clean it is but honestly I just drive it. We did over 5000 miles last year and another 3000 on this trip alone, they're meant to be driven after all :thumbs:

Case and example!
IMG_2715 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So I may have told you a fib, today we actually found France's highest mountain pass in the Alps. Now the car has been to 2802 meters and back! This has been by far the best road I've ever had the pleasure of driving, the car was simply sublime, I was in a league of my own just carving up the mountainside :driving:I even overtook a bike on the way down with a lot of mutual respect! The tyres, suspension and brakes really came into their own this afternoon. I may have also arrived at the top quite a number of minutes ahead of the Healey... :blush:

DSCF9053 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

DSCF9066 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

On the way back down and looking moody!
DSCF9175 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

TimW

Club Member
Safe to say I completely hate you and your new workshop facilities, this looks incredible and like my dreams!

lol... I'm thinking the same about your journeys.. The video of you in the tunnel reminds me of my youth, in a BMW 323i with a humongous camcorder mounted on the dash doing a tour of Europe.. Reminds me, I must complete again, but on my motorbike this time. Well done fella, you're gonna have a lot of good memories :)

I'm envious of the garage Tim. Who is the chap helping with the underfloor heating Addison?

I have a plating job for you - front bumper.

Welcome down anytime Rob... I'll be fully set up in a few weeks, come down and I'll have tea and cake ready :)...

The chap helping is Vytas, a mate of mine who's also part of the engine build. Dave's the guy on the lift install and engine rebuild... Top chaps and dear friends, who are quite instrumental in making all happen. Addison atm is focused on his application to join the RAF of which I hope he's posted in the USA, so he can send me parts lol....

Last edited:

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
lol... I'm thinking the same about your journeys.. The video of you in the tunnel reminds me of my youth, in a BMW 323i with a humongous camcorder mounted on the dash doing a tour of Europe.. Reminds me, I must complete again, but on my motorbike this time. Well done fella, you're gonna have a lot of good memories :)
We always want what we don't have right :EXTRAlol: Haha how times change! You'll be right at home on the bike, they're everywhere and super friendly. I'm hoping my next trip may be on one as well, all being well I'll have my license next month. I'm going to have to come and commandeer your plating services sometime as well ;)

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Finally got round to fixing the door lock knob on the passenger side that I broke a few weeks back. Seriously need to look for some new door cards they are way past their best.

atomman

Club Member
Yesterday was spent changing gearboxes as it was a horrible rainy Saturday,

I machined the bell housing a while back and its just been sat in the garage under the bench waiting, As I'm driving up to Bicester Sunday scrabble next weekend I thought I would pull my finger out and do the swap , hopefully the longer 5th ratio will make MPG a bit better on the long run,

DSC_2461.JPG

All went pretty well , The T3 mount I brought fitted and looks great , I shortened a spare prop shaft that John kindly gave me a while ago , also fitted the right drive gear for my 4.1 Subaru diff into the gearbox speedo drive that I've had sat on the bench for ages , now my speedo should read the right figure to

DSC_2444.JPG

I just need to drop the prop off tomorrow and get to balanced and will also get a price for another with new stronger UJ's ( I remember someone using Land Rover ones ? ) then fit it this week and put all the exhaust back on and give it a test drive , Hopefully will be all good for next weekend ,

Just hope this hurricane has come and gone by then :)

kev64

Well-Known Forum User
Finally got round to fixing the door lock knob on the passenger side that I broke a few weeks back. Seriously need to look for some new door cards they are way past their best.
Hope you have better luck than me. Where would You source them from?

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Looks like the Z Store in the states have the reproduction ones available at $370.
I think some other places carry them as well.

Yes I was looking at those, thanks for the post though Mike. Ill finish off this year with what I have and perhaps take the plunge next year. Have quite a few plans for the car so will see how the funds hold up.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Much more productive this weekend than last! I've put my other brake drum on, adjusted the handbrake so it actually works, fitted the rear strut brace that moggy made up for me months ago:
DSC_0321.JPG

And went for a trial fit session for my custom front strut brace, which I think is going to be great but expensive unless I can find a few more that want one (cough).

DSC_0320.JPG

TimW

Club Member
I guess you could say my weekend and the last few days have been pretty average if you summed it up with only one photo... Currently heading home the long way in time for Sunday!

1F4F0C60-2DAC-492E-9517-EE0088ED72F2 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

The grin on your face and smile on your Father's say's it all. Fantastic to hear of your travels and future travels at Biscester today and great to meet your Father.. :).. Have a great time Woody.. keep us all posted..

Oh, and good luck for module 1.. easy..

and module 2.. Life Savers (an essential habit to form)... Mirror checks and distance, the key :)

Last edited:

TimW

Club Member
First lift of the Z the other day to check out a squeak after shoe replacement a few weeks back. Not too confident on 2 post on rails.. Any suggestions or covered somewhere else on forum?

first Lift.jpg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'd be looking to see if I could get it to reach the front inner pivot of the rear suspension arms and the compression rod mount at the front Tim. Keep it off the body.
If it has to go on the body, I'd make wood blocks with shallow grooves that go on the sills where Nissan says you should jack them.

johnymd

Club Member
I always put the arms on the front tie rod area and the rear outer area of the floor (seat belt pocket on LHD cars). You need to be a little careful on the front tie bar point as the arm will be close to the wing. Wind the points up until they touch the tie rod area then the arms should clear the wing fine.

On a lowered zed its much harder to get the arms under the front and I usually have to drive the car onto small ramps at the front.