Suspension replacement advice for a '73 240z

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Anyone got any pictures of there car side on, referencing the ride height with these coilovers?

(I’m also considering just trying to recondition what I currently have. Will do some investigating at the weekend)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnymd

Club Member
Here’s a few:
First one is BC’s with 15” wheels and as low as possible.
Second on BC’s but 16” wheels, also low as possible but car higher off the ground due to wheels.
Third on tokico lowering springs and 16”.
Forth is gaz with 16” wheels.

IMO you can make a car look lower with 16’s than you can with 15’s and the car is more usable.

Attachments

• 1812FFB7-2314-4E6B-9133-207F081F0D2E.jpeg
    1812FFB7-2314-4E6B-9133-207F081F0D2E.jpeg
    504.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 3F231E06-9A3F-42C1-A04B-E4D15A764B2E.jpeg
    3F231E06-9A3F-42C1-A04B-E4D15A764B2E.jpeg
    410 KB · Views: 79
  • B1A13BA9-94F3-4DAB-AD8A-E5E3341EE25E.jpeg
    B1A13BA9-94F3-4DAB-AD8A-E5E3341EE25E.jpeg
    486.8 KB · Views: 80
  • A44B5CC9-B382-4029-A811-6BE19424664E.jpeg
    A44B5CC9-B382-4029-A811-6BE19424664E.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 78

WazzaJB

Club Member
Here’s a few:
First one is BC’s with 15” wheels and as low as possible.
Second on BC’s but 16” wheels, also low as possible but car higher off the ground due to wheels.
Third on tokico lowering springs and 16”.
Forth is gaz with 16” wheels.

IMO you can make a car look lower with 16’s than you can with 15’s and the car is more usable.

Not to digress too much, but I massively regret 15" wheels. They look great super low, but it is literally unusable. Having to couple air with my BCs to get over bumps etc.

johnymd

Club Member
The 280z is an entirely different car underneath which makes it a lot harder than a 240z to live with when lowered. The ratty 240 just about gets away with being as low as it is with 15’s. My 280z would be unusable at the same ride height so needs 16’s.

I’ve just bought a new set of wheels for my mx5 but have sized them to also fit an early 260 that I’m building. They are 8.25x15 et20 with 205/50 tyres. Will have to see how this works out when they arrive next week. I really wanted 16’s to go with the new r888’s I’ve just bought but couldn’t get my choice of wheel in 16.

WazzaJB

Club Member
45, eek! I can see how that presents problems ...
Nightmare! But it looks great haha.

If my brakes fit under the 15s okay, I'll keep it as is and run some air cups or hybrid air to get lift when I need it. Otherwise I'll have to pick some 16s, which is annoying because I really like my wheels.

atomman

Club Member
Here's my car on Tokico lowering springs with 15's and 225 50 tyres

I did have to lightly roll the back arches and I'm running offset RCA's on the front but it sit's just how I wanted it with out having to cut up my struts,

it is a US car though an they do have the lower spring cups for the softer longer springs ,
received_375803379740406.jpeg DSC_2376-EFFECTS.jpg

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi,

So I’ve decided to go with the BC’s. My next question is which one, as they seem to provide a number of different specification kits, though this is the one they seem to recommend. What are people using?

https://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications/nissan-coilovers/nissan-240z-260z-51mm-strut-70-73.html

Also, any tips on how to do the installation? Thinking of just ordering the struts and trying to find someone locally to do the removal, welding and refit. Any experiences people can share?

3D2C1B51-A871-4C22-BF9C-ECF1DB6AD301.jpeg

Wally

Club Member
Hi,

So I’ve decided to go with the BC’s. My next question is which one, as they seem to provide a number of different specification kits, though this is the one they seem to recommend. What are people using?

https://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications/nissan-coilovers/nissan-240z-260z-51mm-strut-70-73.html

Also, any tips on how to do the installation? Thinking of just ordering the struts and trying to find someone locally to do the removal, welding and refit. Any experiences people can share?

View attachment 39206

My BCs are arriving tomorrow [emoji1696] After chatting with a guy who does historic road races, he uses 4kg front and rear. That's what I've gone for. Hopefully not too stiff for normal road use. Can always swap out the springs if you're not happy.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
My BCs are arriving tomorrow [emoji1696] After chatting with a guy who does historic road races, he uses 4kg front and rear. That's what I've gone for. Hopefully not too stiff for normal road use. Can always swap out the springs if you're not happy.

Hi Wally. Good to know. So you went for the 4/4kg.mm ? Not the recommended 4/5kg. What’s the difference?

Hi,

View attachment 39206

if you’re getting someone to weld them, the most basic intrax are about the same total cost already welded.

Wally

Club Member
Hi Wally. Good to know. So you went for the 4/4kg.mm ? Not the recommended 4/5kg. What’s the difference?

Yes I went with with 4/4kg. Slightly softer in the back giving a little more grip. Generally speakingthe softer the suspension the more grip you will have but the less dynamically the car will respond to direction changes. I'm trying to set my car up for even grip front to rear and even handling. That's why I will running 235 wide tyres front and back rather than wider on the rear.

240z are around 48:52 weight distribution so should have about the same spring rates front to rear. Corner weighting should remove that slight imbalance. My car has a slightly heavier engine so should bring it to around 50:50.

With the recommended BC spring rates you would be front grip biased. Although with a 48:52 balance the rear would be notionally 40kg heavier on the rear for the standard curb weight of 1044kg so maybe the extra 1kg spring rate might be needed but it seems a big change to me.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Yes I went with with 4/4kg. Slightly softer in the back giving a little more grip. Generally speakingthe softer the suspension the more grip you will have but the less dynamically the car will respond to direction changes. I'm trying to set my car up for even grip front to rear and even handling. That's why I will running 235 wide tyres front and back rather than wider on the rear.

240z are around 48:52 weight distribution so should have about the same spring rates front to rear. Corner weighting should remove that slight imbalance. My car has a slightly heavier engine so should bring it to around 50:50.

With the recommended BC spring rates you would be front grip biased. Although with a 48:52 balance the rear would be notionally 40kg heavier on the rear for the standard curb weight of 1044kg so maybe the extra 1kg spring rate might be needed but it seems a big change to me.

Reading your response makes me realise that I know absolutely nothing about suspension. So there recommended 4/5kg means 5kg at the rear? (I probably need to give them a call to get educated)

What engine do you have? I have the L28 block in a ‘73 240z.

[i’m just watching coilovers explained video on youtube - maybe they do, suspension for dummies]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk