5speed Z31 Gearbox on Yahoo Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Cost of purchase (plus margin for your Yahoo proxy bidder), cost of local shipping in Japan, cost of international shipping (and likely full drain, cleaning and export packaging for full compliance), then import duty including VAT on the total of the stated cost of the item PLUS the shipping costs. Then a handling fee for customs clearance on top.

Robbie J

Club Member
Cost of purchase (plus margin for your Yahoo proxy bidder), cost of local shipping in Japan, cost of international shipping (and likely full drain, cleaning and export packaging for full compliance), then import duty including VAT on the total of the stated cost of the item PLUS the shipping costs. Then a handling fee for customs clearance on top.
unless it ends up in the boot of another car coming over

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
what are you saying?

I'll answer that with my own question: What does your first post mean?

In The Real World pretty much anybody outside Japan who buys something through Yahoo Japan auctions - and especially something as large and heavy as a gearbox - will have a fair chunk of charges - including duties - to pay before they get it in their hands. And that's without the gamble of true condition thrown in.

Free rides are not 'news'.

Makesy

Club Member
Good find @Robbie J .

Might be right for someone on here, and great to see what is available on other sites.

I, for one, welcome posts showing what's available elsewhere. Since I began working on my car, I've tended to bee-line for UK ebay and Rock Auto because it's what I'm used to, without properly looking at Japanese sites.

I hope we get to see more posts such as this.

Alex

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I, for one, welcome posts showing what's available elsewhere. Since I began working on my car, I've tended to bee-line for UK ebay and Rock Auto because it's what I'm used to, without properly looking at Japanese sites.

Looking at Japanese sites is great. I'm all for it. But what does the first post in this thread actually mean?

I'm referring to the "Sometimes there is no duty on second hand goods..." bit.

It's not very realistic, is it?

Robbie J

Club Member
Looking at Japanese sites is great. I'm all for it. But what does the first post in this thread actually mean?

You believe what you want to believe, why would I spend the time looking unless I was buying stuff

Makesy

Club Member

I'd expect any potential buyer will figure out what it's going to cost them rather than just buying something on the basis of a one line comment on a forum.

What I feel is more important is that @Robbie J doesn't necessarily have to post his interesting part finds on here, but has chosen to.

Perhaps that shouldn't be discouraged...

Robbie J

Club Member
Makesy if there is anything you see on Yahoo I will connect you up with the process I get bits into the UK. Some come back with a friend that lives there 6 months a year, so that route is limited but I have other routes for more complex bits.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Makesy if there is anything you see on Yahoo I will connect you up with the process I get bits into the UK.

I'm sorry to continue pushing, but I feel it needs to be said. What "process" or "route" allows anybody to avoid paying any duty and taxes on goods imported from outside the EU?

Your example of a 90,000km + used transmission selling at around 430GBP plus cost of proxy bidder and local shipping in Japan (let's say 500GBP all-in) would incur at least a three figure GBP charge in taxes and duties even if it got a free ride in the boot of an imported car. And if I was importing a car or buying one that had been imported, I wouldn't want it filled with other people's used parts.

Sorry but I just don't understand how this can be any kind of recommendation for anybody else.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
But it does happen Alan. People bring parts in in the back of other people's cars and I've never heard of anyone having to pay duty or tax.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Of course it happens! People put Mars bars in their pockets at the corner shop too.

It's just not a viable business plan.

Robbie J

Club Member
Of course it happens! People put Mars bars in their pockets at the corner shop too.

It's just not a viable business plan.
you are allowed to hand carry about £300 and pay 5% duty on up to £600. I travel a lot so if a friend saves some bits I can bring in parts quite legally.

I have brought back skirts for a GTR as sports equipment for purposes of them going in the hold

I'm not running a business but getting parts for my car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
LOCKED. If anyone wants to disagree with someone's conduct, either PM them about it or report it to the Moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.