Here we go again Derricks 260z restoration

candy red

Club Member
Now its free from from all the crap that was welded to it took a few hours to get to this EXTRA:(

pJk3Syi.jpg

Now all cleaned up

XsZg3Ew.jpg

dE3SUIq.jpg

Drilled a few holes so it can be plug welded to new chassis rail :)
BzwvExI.jpg

Also re-welded the top bracket EXTRA:D

neWXdcr.jpg

richiep

Club Member
Jeez Derrick, that car was butchered. You must feel like you are doing a scratch build rather than a restoration! EXTRA:D

candy red

Club Member
Jeez Derrick, that car was butchered. You must feel like you are doing a scratch build rather than a restoration! EXTRA:D

Your right Richie
It was butchered EXTRA:(
Is it not meant to look like this :(
6cNj4gH.jpg

Should have listened to Rob and gone to spec savers :oops: :EXTRAlol:too late now still I'm like a challenge :rolleyes:EXTRA;)

richiep

Club Member
Important thing is you are doing it the right way this time. Unbelievable degree of numptie-ness in the past for you to inherit though!

candy red

Club Member
Another little update :)

Welding new dogleg to new chassis rail

wXrBJbb.jpg

Plug welded and seam welded :)

PLmO2TB.jpg

Pg1qgPZ.jpg

rxKnFNz.jpg

Another little bit done how hard can it be :jester:EXTRA:D

candy red

Club Member
Important thing is you are doing it the right way this time. Unbelievable degree of numptie-ness in the past for you to inherit though!

Learnt a new word tonight numptie-ness love it thanks for your comments Richie hope your project is coming on well :)

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I'm sure better cars than this have gone to the scrap yard in the past.

Keep it up Derrick great work!

candy red

Club Member
I'm sure better cars than this have gone to the scrap yard in the past.

Keep it up Derrick great work!

I"m sure your probably right George lots of better cars years ago were scrap as they weren't worth a great deal then and there was still quite a few around, but now they are pretty thin on the ground thought it would be good to try and save this one. Most of the car is really solid but its the awful patch repairs I'm try to rectify and get the car looking the best i can :)

thanks for your comments ;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Derrick, George is actually Mike.

What are your plans for the car? I'm asking because that will influence quite a lot of decisions as you progress with the restoration.

candy red

Club Member
Hi Derrick, George is actually Mike.

What are your plans for the car? I'm asking because that will influence quite a lot of decisions as you progress with the restoration.

Good question Rob
hopefully get the shell all sorted ,then a nice paint job Probably something a bit EXTRA:D then drop a nice engine in hopefully something a bit quicker than a standard 260 running on triple Webber's but might go throttle bodies and FI ,upgrade the brakes and possible the suspension ,nice wheels and rubber . Overall a nice looking car that drives well on the road and maybe do some track or down the strip :coolgleam: other than that haven't really thought about it much ;) your thoughts are welcome please advise :)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Good question Rob
hopefully get the shell all sorted ,then a nice paint job Probably something a bit EXTRA:D then drop a nice engine in hopefully something a bit quicker than a standard 260 running on triple Webber's but might go throttle bodies and FI ,upgrade the brakes and possible the suspension ,nice wheels and rubber . Overall a nice looking car that drives well on the road and maybe do some track or down the strip :coolgleam: other than that haven't really thought about it much ;) your thoughts are welcome please advise :)

Hi Derrick, when you say the paint will be a bit EXTRA:D what do you mean - don't tell me 'candy green' !

Engine - still an L Series?

I think you have a good plan for it. I was concerned that you might be going for a standard 'resto' which considering the amount of fabricating you have done might be the wrong way.

Keep us posted - I know you will.

candy red

Club Member
Hi Derrick, when you say the paint will be a bit EXTRA:D what do you mean - don't tell me 'candy green' !

I think you have a good plan for it. I was concerned that you might be going for a standard 'resto' which considering the amount of fabricating you have done might be the wrong way.

Sorry Rob that was meant to say the paint will be a bit different :EXTRAlol:

Yes still a L series

Just out of interest why do you think a standard Resto with the amount of fabrication that I'm doing would be wrong :conf2:

Huw

Club Member

I was going to ask the same question Rob, why wouldn’t you do the same amount of work for a standard resto? If your going to the trouble of restoring a car, you might as well do it right.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ok this may have come across wrongly.

I tend to associate 'standard' with 'original' so in my mind (and not everyone will agree) to restore a car to standard will take more work because everything has to look as it did when it left the factory. That is not easy when so much fabricating is needed. Full replacement panels may be the answer but on these cars that's getting harder.

Ped

Club Member
Hey Derrick, that's a lot to work you are doing, but it will be worth it in the end. Hang in there!