Custom Ignition leads? Datsun spirit style

johnymd

Club Member
I would like a set of HT leads the in the same style as the Datsun Spirit ones. I made up a set for my ratty zed a while ago and cant seam to find where I bought them from. I know they were in kit form with just the plug end pre wired and were for a v8 but that's about it.

Any suggestions?

Tommi

Club Member
I would like a set of HT leads the in the same style as the Datsun Spirit ones. I made up a set for my ratty zed a while ago and cant seam to find where I bought them from. I know they were in kit form with just the plug end pre wired and were for a v8 but that's about it.

Any suggestions?

Hi John,

Try www.ignitionproducts.eu. They have kits and all the individual parts from msd. Quick delivery from Holland.

Tom

johnymd

Club Member
Thanks Tom. Just what I was looking for.

Just for reference I've had a price back from Datsun spirit of £146 plus duty/vat. This is a delivered price.
www.tgsexhausts.co.uk will make to custom lengths and come out about the same for MSD.
www.ignitionproducts.au are a bit cheaper at around £120 delivered but you have to assemble part of it.

You can get cheaper than all these but I really like the MSD wires and especially how the ends are crimped on. I may go for a set of Datsun spirit ones to try them out.

Tommi

Club Member
I have a set from Eiji at Datsun spirit that came with my engine and as with everything from him they are superb. I would always recommend supporting companies like Eiji’s if possible but I understand shipping costs and waiting times can be a pain. The MSD wires are a great product, which is why he uses them on all his stuff.

Tom

I have a set from Eiji at Datsun spirit that came with my engine and as with everything from him they are superb. I would always recommend supporting companies like Eiji’s if possible but I understand shipping costs and waiting times can be a pain. The MSD wires are a great product, which is why he uses them on all his stuff.

Tom

You do you his rods/pistons/valves are all from kameari? Cheaper from Kameari also.

Tommi

Club Member
You do you his rods/pistons/valves are all from kameari? Cheaper from Kameari also.

I’m pretty sure they are not kameari ones (not that that would be such a bad thing as they are also a great product) or maxpeeding as others have said in the past. There are hopefully others on here who would back me up in saying that Eiji is a very genuine and honest guy who takes pride in his work and products.

Cheers
Tom

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
What leads have you got on your car Jon as this thread has got me thinking about getting some custom ones aswell
Currently I'm just using the set of Vauxhall Omega leads that came with the coil pack. But most of them are way too long. I've got another set I made with terminals from Mr retro leads and I'm going to fix them up for length. If they work they work, if not they'll be a template for a custom set.

johnymd

Club Member
I made up my own set on the silver ratty car as in this picture. They have been OK but I was never impressed with how the centre conducting core is not physically crimped to the terminal. The MSD ones are crimped to both the inner core and the outer insulation which impressed me. So In the whole scheme of things, the extra £70 for these is money well spent.

Attachments

• IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 45

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Isn't that something anyone with the proper crimping tool could do John? The tools look like they're £70 quid so out of my league!
Have you got a photo of the MSD crimping?

johnymd

Club Member
Because I'm looking at custom length leads so will have to be made up by myself, if I wanted to keep the costs down. None of the cheaper ones I've seen actually crimp onto the core. They just squeeze around the outside insulation with the core just bent over and the crimp touching it. If you do a youtube search on how the MSD ends are mode off then you will see it in a totally different league to the cheaper ones.

I have changed my mind with regard to the Datsun Spirit kit as they will only ship through USPS who use parcel force. This will cause the usual big delay plus their charges and full duty/vat. This will push the price over £200. As I now know that they are MSD leads then It probably make sense to just either get them made up in the UK from the link above or buy the parts from the other link Tom posted.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yeah, I see what you mean. Looks neat, but hard to believe it actually conducts better. But I'm a cheapskate.

I’m pretty sure they are not kameari ones (not that that would be such a bad thing as they are also a great product) or maxpeeding as others have said in the past. There are hopefully others on here who would back me up in saying that Eiji is a very genuine and honest guy who takes pride in his work and products.

Cheers
Tom

I’d put very very good money on it. Its a very good thing for Datsun spirit.

Last edited:

Tommi

Club Member
I’d put very very good money on it. Its a very good thing for Datsun spirit.

And you would loose it all..... in the very early days he may have used kameari parts in his builds (he’s actually very good friends with them and has great respect for their products).

I promise you that his products are his own design and not anyone else’s re branded etc. Most of these companies don’t have production facilities in house, but it doesn’t mean they are not their own products made for them.

I’m not trying to be inflammatory, I just don’t like misinformation being spread. Honestly he’s a good guy and knows his stuff.

Tom