Just bought our first Z (240Z)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My sensor is in the top-hose.
I set it to come on when the temp gauge reads high.
I would do the same if it was in the bottom hose surely?

toopy

Club Member
My sensor is in the top-hose.
I set it to come on when the temp gauge reads high.
I would do the same if it was in the bottom hose surely?

Yes, and it works well enough, but if it was in the bottom hose it works more accurately it would seem, thinking about it, many 'moderns' have the thermo switch either on the radiator, near the bottom or on the engine block.
I have mine set to come on when the temp rises slightly above normal, and then the fan runs until it drops to just below normal, I'm assuming if it was in the bottom hose, it would be more consistent and the temp would be more accurately controlled. Good to know, but for now i will be leaving mine as is, if it aint broke an all that!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So why is the temp sensor for the gauge 'fitted' by Datsun at the top of the engine?

I think I read that the troubles had by the K Series engines were caused by the thermostat being located in the bottom hose area. So I'd rather monitor temp where the engine is hottest.

Anyway enough said.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well time for another update, nothing too dramatic but there’s always something to do with a 48 year old car!

In an effort to reduce some of the chassis flex and now being aware that the car is as much of a show car as a fast road toy, I caved into TTT’s black Friday sale and have purchased Tri strut braces for the front and rear of the car and also grabbed a cpillar bar between the seatbelt mounting points in an effort to help matters as well as look pretty. Soon to be sitting in San Francisco I’m still trying to work out how best to recover them.

Over the weekend disaster struck twice for my dad with the car, many of you will be disappointed to hear that the Bosozoku gear knob shattered and fell off! It must have cracked and fatigued, having salvaged the thread I’ve taken temporary measurers and gone homemade having inserted the thread and shaped a block of Oak. It seems to have kept the car on the road and useable while I source a suitable replacement anyway. Works much better than expected and keeps the car usable for now :)

He also had the misfortune of applying the handbrake yesterday on a hill only to have the car role backwards, having pulled on the handbrake some more I’m told there was an almighty bang before the handle flew up. Safe to say I’m convinced he’s snapped the handbrake cable so I need to source a new one (hopefully not from the US) and work out how easy or not (I’m sure not) it will be to fit and whether it’s doable on the driveway….

In amongst the drama I’ve finally done some minor jobs and fixed the ashtray handle having tidied up the area from the previous shoddy job from a previous custodian, had some Dremel action and glued it back together. It now looks the business again and I’ve also like several others been suckered in with purchasing a Chrome pen and now detailed several items of lettering and trim. It even seems to have hidden the blue plastic trim appearing on the door cards!

IMG-8405 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8434 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8430 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8431 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8412 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8413 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8417 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8419 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

johnymd

Club Member
I had the hand brake do the same to me. In my case it was the threaded rod that attaches to the linkage that snapped.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I had the hand brake do the same to me. In my case it was the threaded rod that attaches to the linkage that snapped.

Thanks for the info dude, sounds like i really need to jack it up next or get some ramps out to have a good look. is it possible to raplace that or the cable in situ?

I've still got some bits sitting in my workshop for you as well when I next see you.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Time for a mini update albeit not too much to report, we managed to keep using the car well into winter before we had to bow out to the salt and grit which was appearing on the roads.

Good news is that the car has a new gear knob fitted, its very boring and orginal in style as well as looking far too new for my taste (needs some patina). All that said it has made the gearbox a pleasure to use and shifts much more precise, thanks to Mr Dezart's help we even sourced one with M10 fitment from the states to screw straight onto the quickshifter. Goodbye to my homemade block of oak!

The car hasnt turned a wheel in a few weeks but the handbrake needs to be sorted before show season, after a quick investigation on ramps it appears to be the mechanism rather than the cable however I have my concerns over access with the solid diff mount and diff blocking most access.

I also had a small mishap while protecting the suspension with ACF 50 when driving onto inspection ramps to raise the car, only one ramp gripped and I managed to drive over one and damage the bottom of the passenger wing which I was fuming about. It now needs some straightening, welding and repainting at some point, I've pulled it back out and touched up with paint but shit happens somtimes I guess.

Fingers crossed that the handbrake and exhaust will be sorted before show season. Lots of weekends being booked in already.

IMG-8696 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

Simple but effective, all stickered up
IMG-8729 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

Sitting pretty over winter, the last time I got her out before the weather turned....
IMG-8722 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

toopy

Club Member
I also had a small mishap while protecting the suspension with ACF 50 when driving onto inspection ramps to raise the car, only one ramp gripped and I managed to drive over one and damage the bottom of the passenger wing which I was fuming about. It now needs some straightening, welding and repainting at some point, I've pulled it back out and touched up with paint but shit happens somtimes I guess.

That's a real shame and I'm sure it made a sphincter clenching noise as well! :eek: last year when i shut the bonnet on a screwdriver, i was so peed off, i had to walk into the garden and punch the lawn!! :confused:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Sorry to hear that dude, we've all done similar things at some point!!! As you say, (translation of your words in French) c'est la vie!!

If you wanted a Z without flex you should have bought a 260z :devil: :p

BTW did Don muscles sell you the gear knob that broke!? It would have been at home in his resto mod with his field of friesians ;)

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks chaps :oops: The noise was pretty horrendous, as was my mood for the rest of the evening, I sympathise Toopy, I felt like hitting something! It could have been far worse however thankfully having melted through the wafer thin wing panel it stopped at the floor straight away...

IMG_8657 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

If you wanted a Z without flex you should have bought a 260z :devil: :p

BTW did Don muscles sell you the gear knob that broke!? It would have been at home in his resto mod with his field of friesians ;)

But what about all those 240Z scene points I would have missed out on... :p

:rofl: I'm sure my block of Oak would have fitted in nicely with that build but no, all of my own finding.

That gearknob is much better ... far better than that other thing!

Thought that may get your approval ;)

Never mind about the wing! It’s good that you’re using the car so forget about a mishap, happens to the best of us.

I love this car

Cheers dude :D I maintain that it was made to be driven and try to share it with as many people as possible! Plenty of stone chips built up over the past couple of years which it wears with pride

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
On another cheery note, my MR2 blew its head gasket as well and is having a top end rebuild and lots of other maintenance and welding done now. Currently carless right now due to the weather for the Z and lack of engine in the MR2, fortunately the old push bike is still doing its thing :nopity:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well these things come in threes so you're safe now.

On the upside, no rust whatsoever under that paint you removed !!!!!!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So after some very helpful advice on here I've been starting to crack on with the latest element of the project with our full new exhaust system now here courtesy of Zstory. I still need to have a proper look at it when I get a chance however time hasn't allowed me. On first glance it looks superb though, we've gone all out with the racesport to future proof against my aspirations to build an engine eventually...

2D5651DC-55A7-42E8-8D71-C2A88F4BAF6E by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

E96B71D7-E33F-45F5-AAB9-40D727F14AD2 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

I started to get a bit ahead of myself this evening now that there's some extra daylight available, belated Crimbo present in the form of an ali low lift motorsport spec trolley jack to help matters along and the car is up in the air to crack on with the project. Whilst its not the high lift that I aspire to own it seems to do the job...

All seems to be going pretty well so far having covered all of the bolts in Plus Gas, via a small senior moment I got the carbs off tonight and most of the exhaust unbolted, fingers crossed that progress continues and the weather improves! I should get to it in anger from Thursday onwards....

IMG_9277 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

68FAAC5B-80DA-48F6-9DAD-291928760406 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG_9290 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Lovely addition there, I absolutely love the looks of the race sport manifold, it’s always seems such a shame to hide them with carbs and inlet manifolds/heat shields though!

Mr.G

Club Member
Hi Mark,

Those drive on ramps scare me... I have a trolley jack, from Machine Mart, that is low enough and can lift the car high enough to get the ramps underneath, I find it a much safer alternative then driving on, especially if you don't have anyone to guide you up them.