Rebuilt MGBV8s

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Ok...so if you had, say £60k to spend on a weekend car - it'd be what ?

I should specify an as-new classic car !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
E39 M5 Estate would do it. Or is that too modern?

Year-ish 2000 ? No, that is not a classic (don't give me that future-classic rollocks neither:p) and honsetly, THAT is a car to drive during the week - the weekend is to be selfish, leave the kids and shopping and drive something different, get out of the rut !

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Year-ish 2000 ? No, that is not a classic (don't give me that future-classic rollocks neither:p) and honsetly, THAT is a car to drive during the week - the weekend is to be selfish, leave the kids and shopping and drive something different, get out of the rut !
Yep, it's a car to drive in the week I want. Not sure if you know but I've got a 260z I'm fond of for the weekend already [emoji16]
So I'd just take the money and put it on the mortgage thanks!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I Guess that m'y wife Would Say thé same and ours paid off with that Would leave me enough to have thé roof redone. I will still have my z...one day.
Although a trackday V8 ultima Would bé fun.

ffastffreddie

Forum User
Interesting car. Can you recreate an MGB V8 from the parts bin?
These cars have started out in life with a new shell (lucky bu**ers) to which has been added off the shelf parts.
I'm sure MZR would like to have access to new shells made by the "manufacturers" however the use of other standard parts would negate the original thought and development which is the USP of the MZR offering.
I see none of the "special" MGB V8 parts or, in fact, any original thought in this car. Presumably it has started life as an MGB as it states it a 1970 car.
So as this car has a new shell, replacement engine, new gearbox and brakes and presumably the rear axle is new or substantially modified
Nice car - but nobody yelled ringer?
Steve

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Steve and thanks for picking up on that - no-one else did and the 'raison d'être' I posted up in the light of other and alsways discussions.

The key phrases here are : rebuild using a new Heritage bodyshell, to be prepared to individual specification /Right hand drive and Left hand available*

I guess, firstly, everyone is reassured by the word Heritage ?

I don't know much about British heritage shells and the process by which they're registered - are they allotted their own chassis number or take that of the donor-parts car ?

If the latter than effectively then I see no difference between a new shell (called Heritage, Nissan, Porsche and BMW factory nostlagic parts or whatever) and a cleaned up donor shell whether it be of LH or RH origin........except if :

a Heritage shell takes the number of the donor-parts shell - a new' Z should always take the number also of the donor-parts shell - that which we call a ringer ?

*Right hand drive and Left hand available : then there will surely be, for ex, a LHD shell running around with a RHdrive chassis number (if MGB differentiated between sides in their codifications ?).

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Cars using a new shell can use the old chassis number as long as they have a bill of sale. They are not changing the identity of an existing car.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Cars using a new shell can use the old chassis number as long as they have a bill of sale. They are not changing the identity of an existing car.

Not picking at you here Rob, you're merely the messenger ok ;).

Buy a tired Samuri, a race-car or a simple road car - once that original factory shell has been removed and replaced by another.....isn't that changing the identity or is the key word here 'NEW' as in never had an identity to begin with ?

johnymd

Club Member
I'd have a 240z restomod built for me over any other car I can think of if I had £60k to spend. £60k is probably just the right amount of money to spend on a car that can just be driven without having to do little jobs to and fix things that weren't quite right. There just is no other like it. No-one looks at a 240z and says rich kid. It's THE best car to be seen in AND be behind the wheel of.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Not picking at you here Rob, you're merely the messenger ok ;).

Buy a tired Samuri, a race-car or a simple road car - once that original factory shell has been removed and replaced by another.....isn't that changing the identity or is the key word here 'NEW' as in never had an identity to begin with ?

This isn’t disimilar to what Jaguar / Land Rover are now doing.
They are fully re-shelling and adding a new chassis to an old vehicle. It retains the original registration costs over £100k and to all intents and purposes is a new car. I spoke to them about it at the Classic car show, they’ll soon be able to recreate every part for the Range Rover.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So is the only difference, as far as the DVLA is concerned, that it is a registered VAT number doing it and not Joe Publich in his domestic garage ?

Aston Martin and Porsche too no ?