Mazda Cosmo

uk66fastback

Club Member
There was one of these on BaT a while ago - fantastic! And this one is RHD AND the obligatory 'orange' ...

I just ripped up my MZR order I was about to post ... (same price roughly)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
But : "As the world’s first production Wankel rotary-powered car, and one of only 343 Series 1 examples, the Cosmo stands as quite a unique prospect."

10 years previously.......: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSU_Prinz

"10 years previously" was what?

NSU's Spider - the first Wankel-license engined road car to hit the market - debuted in 1964. Mazda showed their own Wankel-licensed rotary engine designs at the 1963 Tokyo Motor Show (two engines were put on show) and the complete Cosmo Sport was on show at the 1964 Tokyo Motor Show. The Cosmo just didn't start full production until late 1966.

The ad is wrong, but only just.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
"10 years previously" was what?

NSU's Spider - the first Wankel-license engined road car to hit the market - debuted in 1964. Mazda showed their own Wankel-licensed rotary engine designs at the 1963 Tokyo Motor Show (two engines were put on show) and the complete Cosmo Sport was on show at the 1964 Tokyo Motor Show. The Cosmo just didn't start full production until late 1966.

The ad is wrong, but only just.

Ten years previously :
NSU Prinz I, II & III

NSU Prinz I
Overview
Production 1958–1962

The first post-war NSU car, the Prinz I, was launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 1957 accompanied by the advertising slogan "Fahre Prinz und Du bist König" ("Drive a Prince and you're a king").[4] After a pilot run of 150 preproduction cars, volume production began in March 1958

NSU Spider : First appearing at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1964, the Spider featured a two-door cabriolet body based on that of the NSU Sport Prinz coupé introduced back in 1959. Between 1964 and 1967 2,375 were built.

The NUS Prinz might not have been the most attractive and exciting rotary-engined car but was in full production WAY before the Cosmo.

I still love the Comso though and nice to see one in '70s orange instead of white !

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The NUS Prinz might not have been the most attractive and exciting rotary-engined car but was in full production WAY before the Cosmo.

But that's the whole point. The NSU Prinz was not rotary powered...

The NSU Spider was.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Ro80 my preference for a Wankel engined NSU - light years ahead of the competition in styling, Car of the Year in 68.

140509858.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Cosmos - yes a piece of motoring history but perhaps it would be a £70k ornament due to it's rarity and rotary engine.

Last edited: