Exhaust reviews with sound

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
We so need to record our different exhaust notes at various Z meets for comparison! Of course a recording never does it justice but it's better than imagining ;)

You know what you need to do at the next Japfest or Donnington meeting! ;)

Great link ...
http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/92744-vq35-240z-swap-needs-list/

Really love the Fujitsubo sound.

Sean baby, avez vous un like this to post here for us to hear the sounds of your lovely exhausts?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If we all start revving-up at Donington we are going to look a right bunch of *****

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
If I pick up a trumpet and blow through it, will it sound like Miles Davis is playing?

Exhaust sound is greatly dependent on the engine that it is attached to. Even a small change in compression ratio will make a difference. Cam dynamics, swept volume, stroke characteristics, ignition efficiency and timing, and on and on and on...

Worth bearing in mind.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
There's a few ZStory vids on Youtube and the ZStory FB page.

Always wondered about the engine changes making a difference to the sound, would be fascinating to see a comparison of the same exhaust / engine and the note as each change was made.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
@ Rob - you know I think at Japfest you'd be right at home doom that - seems a lot of the younger clientele like to rev to constantly bouncing off the limiter - apparently it's cool [emoji849]

@ Albrecht - spot on as always! [emoji106] How different does that rover V8 sound in a TVR versus a Landy!? Still, I love the sound of the L6 through a decent exhaust regardless of the variables, I think deep inside I'm a closet hooligan ;)

@mrtemno - it sure why I didn't think of that, thanks buddy.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I have to side with Alan here - there are so many variables (and that's without mixes of different make manifolds, lines, tube diameters and silencers (mid and rear, rear only, mid only and the diverse forms of silencer construction and even outlet shapes and directions.....) that unless you much the same process as per dyno runs and as Mr Tenno quotes - the same engine in the same car and then what do you do with that info ? Your engine will be different !

That thread on hybridz is meaningless and worse still, is disinformation, misleading people - not even a fair 'pyssing contest' !

Most videos are filmed at max revs (even mine) which is hardly the majority of use we expect to have - does it give a clue to the tickover note, that which we hear up until most gearchanges ie through the torque curve.....?

For info, I have 4x rear silencer types and working on a 5th in order to 'try' and provide something for everyone but what happens when fitted with a choice of 4x manifolds + a downpipe to the stock version....and again, that's without computing the different engines and specs.

I have sound-level tested what I have so far and my intention is to provide quieter 'mufflers' to meet ever more stricter track-entry levels AND suburban use whilst keeoing those designs already produced for the die-hard 'bang-fans'.

Sorry is it comes across as an advert, not my intention, simply to be wary of taking it all too seriously.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Did you link to the right video Sean? There's just music over the parts with the car on the track.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
It's just a teaser of a forthcoming press/blog article, try here :

https://www.youtube.com/user/tchorgnasse/videos

i had an elise 111s which i tracked regularly. my datsun couldn’t live with the Elise in those terms. still ding about with a few of local lotus folks

questions on what has been done to the datsun? usual others are driver ability and track knowledge etc...

7284dafa86cec010648a4ca30a08c1f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk