Clutch Pedal travel

iandecjak

Club Member
When attending Japfest at Dodington back in June I had a few issues with the clutch and gear changing; which I put down to the extremely hot weather at the time and air in the system expanding.
I had changed both master and slave cylinders a year ago so had no reason to think otherwise.
Today and quite a bit later on; due to life getting in the way, I went to bleed the clutch system and had problems with the pedal coming back up.
Whilst bleeding it would stay down but would come back after pumping,
I ran through a couple of master cylinder refills and could see no air left in but could not get the pedal to return under its own free will, only through pumping a few times.
Test run of the car was ok and although the pedal didn't always come back fully (maybe 1/2 inch short sometimes) everything worked ok.
Bit reluctant to have to change out either cylinder again so am looking for advice/guidance........

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think there's a bleed nipple at both master and slave. Did you bleed both?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Mine didn't have a bleed nipple at master cyl when I did mine, just had to loosen the bit around the pipe and make sure it didn't squirt!

Huw

Club Member
Only one bleed nipple on the 280ZX clutch system. And it’s on the slave cylinder.

Had a sticky clutch peddle, turned out to be a combination of the pedal adjuster, pedal box needing a spot of grease and a knackered slave cylinder.

Is the pedal adjusted correctly? I would start there. Mine had come undone and the travel was too long.

If the pedals fine, probable check the slave next. Also check the pipe. They can degrade with age.

Huw

Last edited:

iandecjak

Club Member
Yes only one bleed nipple.......just checked.
Will have a look at adjustment of pedal tomorrow and check to see if any lube will help. It does seem strange that its all ok other than when pressing pedal down to bleed.
Pipe seemed ok when I changed the cylinders but will go over again, there is no fluid loss at the moment.
Thanks for all suggestions, I have the MOT Weds so need to make sure it doesn't let me down.........

johnymd

Club Member
Is there a spring on the slave cylinder? I’ve seen some with a return spring which would help.

iandecjak

Club Member
As suggested I reset the clutch pedal as it wasn't touching the bump stop and was less than the 7.8 - 8'' required. I also adjusted the link to get the free play in limit - this is always a bit of guess work but afterward the pedal was returning fully and was changing gears ok. I haven't tried to bleed the system again as the car failed its MOT and I now need to do some other work.........