a 'Nut and Bolt' restoration. A how to guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the club bye-laws, what's the position regarding hosting sales blurp that is factually incorrect ?

I think if the club was responsible for that, it'd be unfair and not in anyway possible. a good 50% of adverts might not fit the bill.

I think the advert/the thread/the car will provide all the info anyone can want.

Even without knowing what we know here, just seeing the car, without the pictures and details to back up the claims in the work of fiction(or advert)will answer enough questions.

I'm sure the car will find its place in the market, for the OP, its just a long way from his expectations. Rightly so.

DonMuscles

Well-Known Forum User
It amuses me how ignorant some of you are, comment and passing judgement without seeing the car when in actual fact it would put many other cars to shame..

What a sad little world we live in......

Atleast I get a rise, knowing there are so many idiots on here wasting their time hating on my car.

Keep going.....

datsfun

Club Member
It amuses me how ignorant some of you are, comment and passing judgement without seeing the car when in actual fact it would put many other cars to shame..

You are side stepping the main issue; it is NOT a nut and bolt restoration. What amuses me is how reckless that statement is...

All other judgements are just that- judgements.

Atleast I get a rise, knowing there are so many idiots on here wasting their time hating on my car.

Keep going..

Just because someone may not like your car doesn't make them an idiot surely ?:conf2:

I didn't like Math's at school. Was my teacher an idiot ? EXTRA:D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

What a sad little world we live in......

Keep going.....

Not ignorant (not far off being a judgement in itself that - no ?), not hatred and I respect the work done and by yourself.......just shared my personal opinion and please explain how yours will put other restored cars to shame ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

I can't speak for anybody else, but personally I just feel a bit sorry for your car rather than "hating on" it. It's the victim in all this.

I don't understand the "restored" and "saved" type comments. It hasn't been restored and it has been transformed from one guise of ill-advised and badly performed personalisation to another. Modifying a car to a very personal and apparently somewhat random fashion just before putting it on the market doesn't seem to make any sense. In any home makeover show they'll tell you that a blank canvas is easier to sell, and that goes for classic cars too. If you are going to modify/customise, you need to do it to an accepted theme or classic style if you expect to pass it on to another owner for the best return. Most of all, you really need to do the right thing by the car.

But what worries me - not for you, but for the next owner - is what appears to be a big gap in the story. We didn't see any of the repairs to the structural areas and the worryingly extensive areas of decay that were evident when you started chipping paint and filler off of it. You shared quite a lot of photos of your own work on the car, but then it went away on a flat bed truck for a long time and it all went quiet. When the thread came back to life it was as though a few pages had been skipped. You are talking about a "full restoration", but where's the evidence of it?

I'm thinking back to photos like these:

At the very least I'd expect lots of welded patches being let-in and fabrication required, with a fair skim of filler over the top to make good. Nothing wrong with filler, but it really does need to be on top of sound metalwork. Somehow I don't feel confident that this is the case in the tricky areas evident above. If I was a potential buyer I'd want to see how that was repaired.

Original photos of the engine bay from further back up-thread tell their own story:

Fairly grotty, wasn't it? How has that been tackled? Without talking the engine out (quite apart from a "nut and bolt" restoration requiring an engine rebuild...) I can't imagine it was easy or effective. If it's just been wire brushed, degreased and rattle-canned it doesn't really match the sales hype, does it?

Good photos of how the repairs were done, and done properly, might shut some of us up a bit as well as offering some reassurance to potential buyers.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Christ, it's dropped £7k already! Didn't realise it was now £25,000. Still massively over-priced Don, sadly. You're in no way being realistic and should understand that the amount of money you've spent - most on labour, not parts, will not be recoverable on this car. £12k on parts you state - I would like to see that broken down, as I can't understand where it all went!

"Too much to list" the ad says - no, list it please - if I am a prospective buyer, then I want to know what's on the list. Mind you, there is some truth in the ad ...

"and I will never get my money or time back on this one"

Never a truer word spoken!

If you want to get buyers interested in this car, you should have a link to a photosite showing pics of EVERYTHING that was done - all the bodywork, welding, interior, engine bay, the car as it was, now and everything in-between. It's a bit fur coat and no knickers as the saying goes, at the moment.

Here's my nut and bolt restoration

ciIoe1s.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Amen Alan.

Not one person has stepped forward to actually view the car.

Never argue with an idiot because they will never understand and ignorant idiots are even worse.

Enjoy wasting your time on here.....

Maybe you can all meet up and blow on eachother?

Are you surprised and as stated - it's perhaps too personalised to sell well and certainly quickly.

No-one's arguing, certainly not you because you haven't put up any counter evidence - just agression : any fire needs oxygen, not just our fuel.

But you didn't waste yours did - you are very ungrateful.

And maybe not but I vote that you recieve a ban for ungentlemanly behaviour, insults and bad language - poor internet etiquette.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Unfortunately Don won't be weighing in on this thread for a month after his (now deleted) last comment.

TimW

Club Member
Unfortunately Don won't be weighing in on this thread for a month after his (now deleted) last comment.
lol... Mr T... Ever vigilant!.. Do you have an alert on your mobile for posts on this thread then?

I guess its been deleted. He did have a few valid points within it though... amongst the rant!.. haha.

I remain the same, a project I would not have had enough balls to take on myself and from what I see a decent looking motor at the end of it. I'm a boring stock car person, so can't really judge, but I can appreciate its looks and the determination taken to get it where it is.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I guess its been deleted. He did have a few valid points within it though... amongst the rant!.. haha.

Such as ?

The man went very public with his purchase and restoration thread, made every use here to 'finish' his car and now begrudges the same public opinion....without backing up anything he said with any evidence.

All smacks of a bar-buddy (copain de cave ici) who remains yer mate all the time you're picking up the tab.

TimW

Club Member
Such as ?

The man went very public with his purchase and restoration thread, made every use here to 'finish' his car and now begrudges the same public opinion....without backing up anything he said with any evidence.

All smacks of a bar-buddy (copain de cave ici) who remains yer mate all the time you're picking up the tab.

What were his valid points?

Seriously. I'm all ears and open-minded.

Just that no one had actually been to see it!.. Fair point I thought, but hey, this thread started way before I was around and with my minimal following I've really only paid attention to the pics of before and after. I'm aware there are some important points discussed here, thus, maybe I shouldn't commenting.

My main thing is that not being technical or possessing the skills myself...(yet!), I have admired someones determination to take on such a project and finish it.

Last edited:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Just that no one had actually been to see it!.. Fair point I thought

Why should they - ALL the info and photos should have been here.....but as Alan pointed out there are huge (and therefore suspicious) gaps.

An then there's the asking price - anyone tempted ?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I still haven't learned how to do a nut and bolt restoration.

Last edited:

supermik

Well-Known Forum User
Tis a shame but, I have loved following this thread. As much as I have tried to champion Don in his efforts, sadly it looks like he now has an unsellable car. If anybody is interested in it, then asked a question on here about it then they would probably run a million miles. He has probably tried his best but, sadly, he has came up shorter than a short man in a short race!

Status
Not open for further replies.